Heard from someone....

Khandurian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
Cocoa Beach Baby!
Trying a little too hard to sell me a TV that frankly, I couldnt really afford... I specifically told the person I'm window shopping, and I respect the fact that you make commission on what you sell, but there are other people in the store that really could use your help....

Well, since he decided that he wanted to ride my skirt tails, he noticed that I stayed away from the widescreen tv's. I told him, I (personal opinion here) despise widescreen tv's, as the fact that there are so few channels that broadcast in 16:9. The other reason is I dont like the stretched picture on standard services.

He then chimed up and said, well shows what you know, all broadcast companies are gonna be broadcasting in16:9 by the end of the year.

At this point, I turned around and walked out the store. Now, being that I am an installer for a local TV and satellite companies, I should have heard this very IMPORTANT peice of information. However, I have also learned over the years, that installers are treated like mushrooms... (if you wondering about that statement, google on how to grow mushrooms)

So I come to here. Answer me this please. Is this true? or was he just trying to make some damn money? I know that in 2008-2010 that all channels are supposed to be digital broadcast. I have never heard of the 16:9 story though.

Khandurian.....

No, this is not true. You will still have plenty of programs in 4x3 aspect ratio in 2006.

Having said that, I would not buy an expensive TV set these days which is not wide screen 16x9, especially an HDTV set. More and more channels are changing to HD and HD is 16x9 (99%). Life span of a TV set can be above 10 years. And in 2-3 years most of the programming will likely be wide-screen, the way it goes. So if you are thinking of a big HDTV, get a 16x9 set! If you are buying a small TV for your kitchen 4x3 will be just fine!

Ilya's right... digital by 2006, not HD or 16:9 format.

As for life expectancy... I dont know about 10 years... For CRT rear projector models, I have heard 7 years is the maximum lifespan with good performance. Personally, I've had a rear projector die after 4 years (Toshiba 50" SD).

That being said, definately buy a 16:9 format, even if you play DVDs at all with no HD programming!

-John

Poll: What services does you take advantage of?

North Alabama Services

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)