HDTV Rumor Watch

rad said:
Sony even has a feature on their HD camaras that soften the pictures, Letterman uses them.

If this is true then it doesn't work very well. Letterman is one of the most razor sharp images I've seen.

In reference to your statement at the top in the first post:

1) Dish has more HD now, but D* should be caught up in 1 year. What are Dish's plans for launching new sats to compete as the only reason they are ahead is the sat deal they worked out with Voom (i think).

2) From what I've seen Dish is going to be a good ways behind on E* on locals, is this not correct?

Locals is what matters to me now. 90% of my nightly programming is on locals which are programs that are broadcasted in HD. Sports on locals is also very important and D* has ESPN and ESPN2 which is great.

The other channels that Dish brags about are honestly crap, only thing they can brag about is offering more quantity, not quality. D* will have HD locals over the US a good bit quicker than Dish and that's why I'm sticking with D*. Once the new sats go up next year D* and Dish will both be offering the same crappy channels that are HD now because none of the good channels yet offer HD.

I am possitive somewhere down the road someone will pass Dish in the HD race. Dish has the early lead.

For me HD locals is not an issue I get all my networks via OTA. For others its a big deal (even for those that can get them via OTA)

Yeah getting locals in HD will be nice but I rahter see more of other networks like FSN so forth.. We will see what happens as more networks launch their HD Channels.. Would be cool to see Scfi Come out with a HD Channel or A&E or History Channel..

Poke said:
Yeah getting locals in HD will be nice but I rahter see more of other networks like FSN so forth.. We will see what happens as more networks launch their HD Channels.. Would be cool to see Scfi Come out with a HD Channel or A&E or History Channel..

I'm sure D* would have loved to be able to use SW1/2 to add CONUS HD channels but it looks like they couldn't figure out how to configure the spot beams to do CONUS. So may as well do something with all those transponders;)

Yeah well be interesting to see what they do with the new sat they have going up next year.. But maybe we will get lucky and see a few more HD Channels added before the end of this year.. :)

elwaylite said:
From what I've seen Dish is going to be a good ways behind on E* on locals, is this not correct?

:confused:
E* = Echostar = DISH. So no, Dish is not behind E*. :)

As a customer, I don't see how it matters how many cities one provider or another have in HD as long as they have mine. Yes, it matters from a stockholder standpoint, but not to the customer. If a provider only has one city, and it's mine, all that matters is the national channels (and price, and equipment, and all the usual things.) OR, if they have 226 cities, but not mine, the other 226 don't matter.

Opps, shoulda said D* hehe.

I mainly just want my locals right now. Now when channels like Disc. , SciFi, Hist, etc go full HD then sign me up. My priority is locals before I get an hd channel like Monsters HD, I mean come on.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am possitive somewhere down the road someone will pass Dish in the HD race. Dish has the early lead.

For me HD locals is not an issue I get all my networks via OTA. For others its a big deal (even for those that can get them via OTA)
Scott - any idea when we will get HD locals in CT? I am using OTA also but I can't get Fox consistently. Also I want the ability to record two networks at once. I too would prefer local HD over any other HD channel. I would have gone back to cable over this issue if it wasn't for the fact that stupid Cablevision in my area doesn't have CBS or ABC.

Scott Greczkowski said:

You get PBS ota in hd? Which channel do you pick up? Must be WEDN-HD.

Tom Bombadil said:
No surprise at all about the softening lens used on old faces. TV shows and movies have been doing this for a good 60 years.

And while as a HD purist I don't generally like this, there are some faces wherein I appreciate the practice!

AKA. The Cybil Shepard filter.

cleblanc said:
Scott - any idea when we will get HD locals in CT? I am using OTA also but I can't get Fox consistently. Also I want the ability to record two networks at once. I too would prefer local HD over any other HD channel. I would have gone back to cable over this issue if it wasn't for the fact that stupid Cablevision in my area doesn't have CBS or ABC.

I'm in the same boat, can get OTA consistently sometimes but not all the time, my FOX OTA usually never comes in. Cable of course does not have all locals either, will be very happy when D* gets this process finished.

DPP33 availability?

ABC HD sound

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts