hdtv receiver

gohnto

Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
I am a dish network subscriber and was thinking about getting the Dish 811 HDTV receiver but have seen so many negative comments about it that I was wondering about getting another receiver. Can anybody tell me if I was to get another receiver that was not sold by Dish Network would they be able to activate it.

Tom

What 'other' receiver are you talking about? The currenly available HD receivers are the 811 and 921 or a 6000 with 8PSK module if you can get one used. Nobody else besides Dish makes receivers for Dish.

The only HD receivers you can get for dish would be the 6000, 811, and 912. I am known to be wrong on occasion though :p

I have not had trouble with the 811. This stems from the fact that I am not trying to use it for OTA broadcasts. The 6000 doesn't have an OTA tuner, and the 912 I just haven't heard much about, therefor I assume it works better :p

My best advice on the matter is that experiences differ significantly with the 811. I would sign up for the lease deal/ dish'n it up promo and try the thing out. Worst case scenario you are out 50 bucks.

The second option is to effectively purchase a 912 for <$200. The promo may or may not be active now. Many people say they emailed ceo@echostar.com and received a similar offer.

OdiOdin said:
The only HD receivers you can get for dish would be the 6000, 811, and 912. I am known to be wrong on occasion though :p

The second option is to effectively purchase a 912 for <$200. The promo may or may not be active now. Many people say they emailed ceo@echostar.com and received a similar offer.

912? No such animal. Perhaps you mean 921 and if you do, I want to know where I can get one for <$200. The cheapest I've seen them for is $900.

Yeah - no way no how has the 921 ever been out there for under $900.

And it has it's share of problems, too. Catch it's forum here, and over at DBSTalk. But just as OdiOdin says for the 811, most of the big problems are with OTA reception. Other than that, it's the same mediocre quality as the rest of the E* DVRs.

HDTV Receivers

I was under the impression that JVC made DISH NETWORKS HDTV tuners. and I have seen several others made by Samsung, Sony, RCA to name a few that are not sold by Dish Network or their retailers.

Tom

gohnto said:
I was under the impression that JVC made DISH NETWORKS HDTV tuners. and I have seen several others made by Samsung, Sony, RCA to name a few that are not sold by Dish Network or their retailers.

Tom

All Dish receivers are made by Dish, they just slap another name on the front. Inside they are all the same.

LOL, apologies, it is a 921, and you can buy the 811 for <$200.. not the 921.

Sometimes the brain works right, and sometimes it doesn't :D

"The 6000 doesn't have an OTA tuner, and the 912 I just haven't heard much about, therefor I assume it works better " - OdiOdin

Although the 6000 unit did not come with an OTA 8VSB digital tuner, the module was available for purchase. I have one installed to my 6000 right now and I have an extra put away for emergencies which I got free from Dish Network when they were dumping all their 6000 related modules and units.

Stacy

Signal Strength Meter

Question for Southwest Michigan Customers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)