HD Locals/OTA channels no longer available with Welcome Pack

Two things, not having HD on the EA was the major reason I was so sure this had to be a glitch.

But much more importantly, I don't know if newer members appreciate just how important having the DIRT team is for issues like this. It took two or three of them but by digging and investigating we got an answer and it got fixed. I can assure you if you had to rely on the phone CSR's it wouldn't have yet.

That is good to know that DISH hasn't chosen to alienate their customers when they have to down grade due to lack of funds, no job, etc. I knew that this had to be glitch on the account itself , since I have it on my account. I even switched my dish from eastern arc to western arc , and I still had hd locals. Now if we could just get DISH to activate HD cable channels on both the Welcome pack and the Family Pack, we would really have some options to choose from.;)

Now if we could just get DISH to activate HD cable channels on both the Welcome pack and the Family Pack, we would really have some options to choose from.;)

Agreed. If the account has HDFFL, and a customer downgrades for whatever reason, the should not be denied access to the HD counterparts either of those packages.

Thanks MaryB, MattG, & ZachS! I appreciate the help. I'm not sure we would have gotten to the bottom of this without y'all.

The OTA tuner should still work just fine. The guide info may be goofy but as long as you sub to locals it should work

even if something happened and the locals got removed the OTA would still work just no guide on any channels.

I know this post is a little but your comment speaks to something I have been looking for on this site. If I own the 722k and I have the OTA module installed, could I cancel my service with Dish and still be able to use the DVR functionality? By paying for service, Dish provides me with the guide service and if I cancel that service, I would have to figure out how and when to record on my own. Is that right? Hopefully I have articulated my question. Let me know if not. Thanks for your help.

NO SUBSCRIPTION NO SERVICE plainly and simply locals are no longer available without a package.
This answer applies to any modern DISH or DIRECTV satellite receiver.

OTA and/or DVR functions will cease to function within a relatively short time period.

I know this post is a little but your comment speaks to something I have been looking for on this site. If I own the 722k and I have the OTA module installed, could I cancel my service with Dish and still be able to use the DVR functionality? By paying for service, Dish provides me with the guide service and if I cancel that service, I would have to figure out how and when to record on my own. Is that right? Hopefully I have articulated my question. Let me know if not. Thanks for your help.

Just buy one of these or something like it. http://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_TV_and_HDTV_HD_digital_recorder_CM_7000PAL_DVR_s/120.htm

Discontinued, as is the original DTVPal DVR by Echostar. :( The CM-7400 (made by Entone?) has also been discontinued. These days the DTVPal DVR is selling used for more than they did new. To think that Sears once blew them out for less than $50! I missed out on that deal.

Channel Master is about to come out with the K77, again by Echostar. It is unknown what they'll use for a guide, but I would guess it will involve a subscription.

That's just a tuner, not a DVR.

Last edited:

Bad upgrade or has my Hopper gone nuts?

Can you have a Hopper and 211K on same account?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)