HD-Lite Issue Another Direction.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
While watching my Phillies (ok, no cracks:rolleyes: ) on ESPN last week on what I have to admit was not of compelling quality by anyone's standards it got me to thinking. How could ESPN allow D* or any other service to pump out their HD signal and give viewers less than acceptable PQ. OK, we know that D* won't address the issue and as you know I don't pound them for it like many others, but, seems that with all of the money that ESPN has put into it's HD production along with marketing etc. that they too would want the final product to be as high a standard as possible. Is the D* HD subscriber base that watches ESPN that small that it doesn't matter? Has ESPN ever commented? Seems a powerful enough company to make something happen. One more thing, how come I have the feeling that D* will find some of that needed bandwith once the ESPN football NFL and NCAA games start up again. Just wondering if any of you guys in the know ever thought about this issue from this perspective. My Phils (once again, keep the cracks to yourselves:cool: ) are on again this evening against the Cards. I am looking forward to it but I know the quality will be no where near that of , let's say, the All Star Game OTA which of course was wow!

Last edited:
They won't care, because they are getting paid no matter what D* or E* does to their signal.

Neutron said:
They won't care, because they are getting paid no matter what D* or E* does to their signal.

Quite true!!! and a Domino effect. ESPN does not care because they are getting $$$ from D* and D* does not care because they are getting $$$ from subs (who do not see anything wrong with it or are stuck with it). So in effect, consumers are the one that have the answer but consumers won't do what it takes to have D* and ESPN or any other network to face up to the problem. If the average joe does not care or do not see a difference, it won't matter to D* or ESPN or any network as long as consumers keep sending the money.

It sure pisses me off. You think they would at least admit the fact the send out a watered down signal, but, evidently they are evidently just a Co. which cares not for the consumer nor has the balls to admit it.

and I still use them

I did not see the games you are refering too, but generally have been happy with the ESPN HD signal. I suppose not all the games are done with the same equipment, I don't know.... Is a company like espn renting thier HD trucks still. I know a lot of other channels rent trucks due to the lack of HD equipment available to go from location to location.
I would hope that ESPN has a good number of HD trucks out there by now, but maybe not.
I suppose the equipment would vary from one truck to another.

Jimbo

I also have been generally happy with ESPN HD signal. Isn't the main HD Lite problem right now with the spot beams and MPEG-4. ESPN HD is currently a national and is MPEG-2.

Spartan

PQ was definitely better on Wednesday evenings telecast than it was last week, but still, no where near the Yes broadcast of the Yanks game. The Yankees games continue to be the best PQ of the games that are not OTA.

spartan said:
I also have been generally happy with ESPN HD signal. Isn't the main HD Lite problem right now with the spot beams and MPEG-4. ESPN HD is currently a national and is MPEG-2.

Spartan

No I think MPEG 4 channels that are not having problems have a better PQ than the national MPEG 2 ;)

Many HD sets on the market technically cant reslove 1280X720P and their owner dont even realize this.

Those who complain (and rightly so) are either purest OR they are watching on a newer and usually LARGER 50" or more HDTV and really notice the difference in HDlite vs non HDlite...

At the very minimum I would think people would want to get what they are paying for and what they were told they were buying.

So if you accept getting ripped of here you can expect to get ripped by them later in other ways...

I see a major difference between OTA HI-DEF and Directv supplied HI-DEF. When my free period is up,I wont pay for it until the quality improves. I'll just get by with HI-DEF OTA.

I would love to see a law that says the 1280 x 1080 stuff HAS to be referred to as HD Lite. Then, only providers sending the full resolution signals could advertise as true HD. Maybe then, competition would cause providers to change.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Another transponder question

Account suspension

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)