HD Channels that Havn't Been Launched

SimpleSimon said:
Remember, analog vs. digital is a different issue than HD vs. SD.
I know HD is a different issue. But, when the analog spectrum goes away, then there can't be an analog channel (6xxx-8xxx), right. The only way to get a local channel to a sub will be the digital, so the providers have to start getting ready.

mdonnelly said:
I know HD is a different issue. But, when the analog spectrum goes away, then there can't be an analog channel (6xxx-8xxx), right. The only way to get a local channel to a sub will be the digital, so the providers have to start getting ready.
Sigh.

The local POPs (IF they are currently using OTA) will just need ATSC tuners instead of NTSC. It says NOTHING about what will be delivered to DBS subscribers.

If D* and E* don't have the bandwidth, they will simply downconvert the signals at the POP.

P.S. It also has NOTHING to do with the channel number assigned (which goes into the 9000s, BTW).

Right. In fact, I believe there's already talk of letting cable down convert digital to analog which means satellite will be able to also.

From a legislative standpoint, none of this has anything to do with improving anything for the viewer - PQ, content or otherwise. It has everything to do with the potential $$ the government can get from repossesed spectrum. If they can get more of that bandwidth sooner by allowing providers to degrade PQ, I don't think they'll hesitate.

The only motivater more powerful than money to congress is votes and they only look at those in terms of "blocks". Sorry but I just don't see the "television viewer's vote" having much of an influence in Washington.

Pocket Dish and AV500

FOXP2 gone on 11/30

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts