Have you renewed your passport recently?

Apparently you haven't visited the Department of State website in a while.

All forms of renewal (standard - eight weeks, Expedited - four to six weeks, Urgent - two to three weeks) other than Life-or-Death are available through major USPS offices. No mailing is required on the applicants part and they'll take the photo. It will cost a bit more, but but they handle everything on your behalf.

Back in the day, "Expedited" meant two weeks to three weeks. Now it may take up to six weeks.

Expedited service is available for all application formats (including online) by tossing them another $60 plus $21.36 for two-day shipping after the fact.

As I said, the expiration date is known ten years in advance and is printed clearly in the passport itself so there are few excuses for having to rush it.

As for the turnaround time, that varies widely based on the time of year. In the Fall, the turnaround is probably much faster than in the Spring due to the number of applications. When I applied online in March, I was initially told the turnaround was 28 days plus shipping but subsequently they were quoting six week. I think I received my passport book in 36 days. The time from approval to having the book in my hands was six days (you can track the progress online).
I've been to the site and I've actually done it in the past month. Those timelines are WAAAY overstated.

I've been to the site and I've actually done it in the past month. Those timelines are WAAAY overstated.
That applies to all methods. When you apply makes a big difference in the turnaround.

The secret is not getting yourself (or your family) into a situation where you need to expedite.

Anyone still use ipods?/ What do you use for music