Has anybody measured D* typical MPEG4 HD bandwidth?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

paule123

Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
My local Cleveland Indians RSN, STO, and MPEG4 HD locals look excellent via the HR20. Can't tell the difference in PQ between cable or OTA. Just wondering if anyone has measured how many bits/second D* allocates to an MPEG4 HD channel?

AT&T is talking about squeezing their U-Verse HD channels into about 6Mbps and I'm curious if that's realistic. I've read reviews saying that AT&T's current ~8Mbps HD allocation already looks bad.

I'd say welcome to the forum but you've been a member since last year. Just a reserve poster huh? :)

Thats actually a good question. I havent compared bit rates but I cant see much of a difference in OTA and MPEG4 via D*. Since they are using spotbeams we are not sure how many channels fit on each. It was easier to analyze when you can see how many HD channels are placed on transponders with 101, 119, and 110. I think I do remember something like 8 mbps but its more efficient then MPEG2 so it really comes to the human eye.

I remember someone on AVSForum calculating (MPEG2) bitrate by recording an HD program on the SA8300HD cable box, and noting the hard drive free space via the diagnostics screen before and after the recording. That method seemed to work fairly well.

Is there such a diagnostics screen on the HR20 ?

Hope I am not hijacking this thread, I think this question goes along the same subject. If not, sorry. Ignore and I will repost a new one myself.

Exactly how do you know how much bandwidth a provider is using for a channel or what resolution a channel is being tranmitted at?

I know Verbano is not happy with the "HD-LITE" that D* is handing out and is the most vocal about being mad/disapointed. Not that I am getting on his case, I think there is validity to his complaints.

I am curious how you guys know what they are sending down?

I know in native mode I can see if the channel is 720 or 1080, but I am thinking there is more to it than that.

There are tools out there that can analyze the streams. I have a tool on a PC that analyzes OTA signals but not a direct D* one.

Hope I am not hijacking this thread, I think this question goes along the same subject. If not, sorry. Ignore and I will repost a new one myself.

Exactly how do you know how much bandwidth a provider is using for a channel or what resolution a channel is being tranmitted at?

I know Verbano is not happy with the "HD-LITE" that D* is handing out and is the most vocal about being mad/disapointed. Not that I am getting on his case, I think there is validity to his complaints.

I am curious how you guys know what they are sending down?

I know in native mode I can see if the channel is 720 or 1080, but I am thinking there is more to it than that.

R5000 & TSReader

So what's the answer to the OP's question? I would like to know myself if someone has found out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dtv cancel contact due to lose of signal

DiscoveryHD "pure 1080i"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts