Status
Please reply by conversation.

TAC763

Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
Chicago Subs
First time post...long time reader.

Question please:

I have SD Directv service (Self installed about 7 years ago). I have an old RCA reciever connected to a new 42" LG HD TV using an s-video cable. The picture is not the best, I'm assuming due to the limitations of the s-video feed.

If I buy an H21 receiver and connect it to the TV using component or HDMI cables will I see an improvement in picture quality? And, will Directv allow me to do this? I understand that this setup will not give me an HD feed, I'm just hoping for a better picture with the modern reciever and cable.

I have ordered an HD service upgrade, but between the terrible Chicago winter weather and a flakey installer, I don't think it is going to happen any time soon!

Any and all advise is appreciated!

It should work. I think the SD picture should be a bit better based on the H21 upconverting the picture. But, I'll let others verify this. Of course, the picture is only as good as what is sent by DirecTV.

It will look a tad bit better, but not anywhere near HD quality, actually it will look about the same as a SVid. Your best bet is to just go for a Full out HD upgrade and wait out the weather or pray for a competent installer. If you acquire a HD box on your own you will still have HD Access (9.95$) added to your bill.

Wow, thanks for the info. That's good to know. I didn't realize I would have to pay for HD service simply because I had an H21 reciever.

What about an R22? I read on the Best Buy site that I can get a 480p signal from that box. I don't even know what type of signal the old RCA boxes that I have put out. The R22 has component and HDMI outs to the TV. Would this be an improvement?

The only way to see a real improvement on your new HDTV is to send it a HDTV signal. The R22 isn't HDTV and it has a $5.99 DVR fee unless you already have a DVR on your account. I'd rather pay the additional $4 and get HDTV.

Thanks guys, it looks like I'm sol.

After a three week wait, my installer came out last Saturday afternoon (one of the nicer days we have seen around here in a long while) and declined to do my HD install. His reason? "It's too windy outside". The HD dish upgrade was going on a one story garage roof. I was speechless.

I haven't seen the guy since and honestly don't care to see him back at my shack. I'm just looking for alternatives to having to play games with these people.

Last edited:
Our cable provider is MediaCom. They are supposedly one of the lowest rated cable providers in the country. I've heard nothing but bad things about them. I think the town is trying to get rid of them. We'll see.

I'm gonna go see if I can find my rabbit ears! This sucks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

when are we getting more premium channels / HD premium channels?

Small new construction prewire for Direct TV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts