H-20 Issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

code4code5

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Aurora, CO
I purchased my H-20 receiver from CompUSA yesterday. I set it up and called for activation while it was downloading the new software and my activation didn't take, requiring a second call.

After I got it set up, I wasn't too impressed. I was under the impression that it would act just like my H-10 until the Denver LIL's roll out in April, but that's not the case. The darn thing is slow! It takes about a second to register any remote press - including surfing the guide. The scrolling animation in the guide is gone too. It takes about two seconds to change channels regardless of any resolution change. It's acting more like my five year old Panasonic 1st generation D*-HD receiver than a brand new top-of-the-line model. :mad:

code4code5 said:
I purchased my H-20 receiver from CompUSA yesterday. I set it up and called for activation while it was downloading the new software and my activation didn't take, requiring a second call.

After I got it set up, I wasn't too impressed. I was under the impression that it would act just like my H-10 until the Denver LIL's roll out in April, but that's not the case. The darn thing is slow! It takes about a second to register any remote press - including surfing the guide. The scrolling animation in the guide is gone too. It takes about two seconds to change channels regardless of any resolution change. It's acting more like my five year old Panasonic 1st generation D*-HD receiver than a brand new top-of-the-line model. :mad:

You ever notice that D* doesn't allow the BB, CC ect. stores to have these current units active, so customers cannot see how they work BEFORE purchasing.

I think, all of the stores in town still have the old Samsung 360 going and 1 has the Samsung 160 going still.

btw, they are not allowed to sell them either.

So it's a guessing game as to what the menus and operation is loike till you get it home and commited.

Jimbo

code4code5 said:

I realize that others may feel differently about this but have we Americans gotten so impatient that 1 or 2 seconds is considered "slow"?

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that a software upgrade is in the works to "speed up" the H-20.

Just my 2 cents worth!

My local Best Buy has an H20 running and I played with it before purchasing one. I think the box runs much faster than my HD Tivo. Also the picture quality is excellent. Even the SD picture looks better!

code4code5 said:

Go into menu - settings- setup - display and make sure display is off.
Also, what software do you have? The H20 is shipped with 0160, but
quickly downloaded v. 0F03. It might help to speed things up a bit.

CRendall said:
My local Best Buy has an H20 running and I played with it before purchasing one. I think the box runs much faster than my HD Tivo. Also the picture quality is excellent. Even the SD picture looks better!

I haven't checked receintly, I asked the manager at CC about it, he said , we set up whatever D* wants then to , D* supplies the ones to be set up directly. The store has no options.
also told me they won't have them displayed at all soon ... probably due to the lease option, I would guess...

Jimbo

raoul5788 said:
Go into menu - settings- setup - display and make sure display is off.
Also, what software do you have? The H20 is shipped with 0160, but
quickly downloaded v. 0F03. It might help to speed things up a bit.

I assume that you mean "Native" resolution is off, and it is. I am running the 0F03 firmware.

Elswhere in the forum, I found the "secret code" to force a download of the latest firmware upgrade... the "unplug for five minutes, then while the receiver is displaying 'your DirecTV receiver is starting up' press 0 2 4 6 8 Select" code. When I re-downloaded the software, it really seemed to correct the speed issue. I have yet to determine if there's still as many artifacts in my OTA broadcasts. I guess I don't have to take my H20 back now. Thanks, all!

Jimbos said:
You ever notice that D* doesn't allow the BB, CC ect. stores to have these current units active, so customers cannot see how they work BEFORE purchasing.
So it's a guessing game as to what the menus and operation is loike till you get it home and commited.

Or you can read the hundreds of posts that new owners are posting.:rolleyes:

The problem the OP identifies sd some form of sluggishness is not being reported by others - indeed, most are reporting how quick it is. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

will d* be adding more christian content soon?

Buy now or lease later?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)