Going to satellite, very nervous...help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HBO1

Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I just did the system build at D*'s website. I understand that I'll get the $18 bill credit for 12 months and also understand I'll get the $23 bill credit for 3 months for the Starz and Showtime. I don't want Starz/Showtime, so after the 3 months do I get to just drop them and not be charged the $23? Man, this stuff sure confuses me and I'm trying to read all the fine print so as not to whine about it later!

Bill is below. I am looking to get as much HD channels I can. Also, is there a way to see if I can get my locals in HD? Can't on the E* system. Thanks for the help! AWESOME wealth of information on this forum! :D

Startup Costs

Handling and Delivery Fee

$0.00
DIRECTV® Receiver

$0.00
DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR Receiver

$199.00
Instant Online Rebate
-$100.00
Standard Professional Installation

$0.00
Total Startup Costs:
$99.00

Your First Month's Bill

PLUS HD DVR

$72.99
Starz!®

$12.00
SHOWTIME UNLIMITED®

$11.00
DIRECTV DVR Service

$0.00
Lease Fee

$14.97
HD Access

$0.00
$23/mo. credit for STARZ and SHOWTIME for 3 months
-$23.00
First Month's Total:
$87.96
Online Redemption
-$18.00
Final Monthly Total:*$69.96

*Final Monthly Total includes a $18 bill credit per month for 12 consecutive months after one-time online redemption.

For PREMIER package only, final $63.99 total valid while $23 and $18 bill credits are active.
DIRECTV premium programming services are generally offered on a monthly basis. If you downgrade your premium programming options within thirty (30) days of adding a new service to your account, you may be subject to a $10.00 fee.

Last edited:
Looks good, also consider using a referral to save $50 more (sticky post in main thread) and if you have a AAA card you can save a few hundred more (see the save $240 thread).

Put your zip code in here to see if locals are in HD:
DIRECTV - Local Channels

If not, they are going to launch many more markets this summer, the new satellite goes up March 17.

WELCOME to the site!

Thanks for the reply and that link, masterdeals. Looks like HD locals are not available yet in my area.

So what happens when my 3 months are up on the Starz/Showtime though? Am I stuck paying the $23/mo. for the length of the contract or can you drop 'em?

I don't know, I see this site seems "pro-directv" and there must be a reason for that. But after comparing the 2 services and reading a bunch, I haven't figured out why yet? With Dish, I can get a whole bunch of HD too and also have the benefit of only 2 receivers for my 4 tv's......and a good DVR.

Maybe not the appropriate forum for comparisons, but where's the beef?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply and that link, masterdeals. Looks like HD locals are not available yet in my area.

So what happens when my 3 months are up on the Starz/Showtime though? Am I stuck paying the $23/mo. for the length of the contract or can you drop 'em?

I don't know, I see this site seems "pro-directv" and there must be a reason for that. But after comparing the 2 services and reading a bunch, I haven't figured out why yet? With Dish, I can get a whole bunch of HD too and also have the benefit of only 2 receivers for my 4 tv's......and a good DVR.

Maybe not the appropriate forum for comparisons, but where's the beef?

Thanks!

And I will never understand why people want to have one receiver for two TVs. This seems overly complicated and of limited use to me.

And I will never understand why people want to have one receiver for two TVs. This seems overly complicated and of limited use to me.

On Dish, the one receiver comes with 2 remotes (READ TWO REMOTES). It is one receiver, however you can use the 2 televisions completely independently.

In other words, on Dish, I can have the HD/DVR Receiver in my living room, hooked into my HD system. The master bedroom SD tv will also be plugged into this same receiver. But it has it's own functionality with it's own seperate remote.

I can also have a SD receiver in one of my two kid's bedrooms. Each of their tv's plugged into it. They will each have a seperate remote and seperate functionality.

Seems very uncomplicated to me and no less useful for my needs than having 4 receivers. As a matter of fact, it's one less DVR too, but still same functionality.

I'm admittedly a newbie to all of this, so please tell me where this is either complicated or less useful???

On Dish, the one receiver comes with 2 remotes (READ TWO REMOTES). It is one receiver, however you can use the 2 televisions completely independently.

In other words, on Dish, I can have the HD/DVR Receiver in my living room, hooked into my HD system. The master bedroom SD tv will also be plugged into this same receiver. But it has it's own functionality with it's own seperate remote.

I can also have a SD receiver in one of my two kid's bedrooms. Each of their tv's plugged into it. They will each have a seperate remote and seperate functionality.

Seems very uncomplicated to me and no less useful for my needs than having 4 receivers. As a matter of fact, it's one less DVR too, but still same functionality.

I'm admittedly a newbie to all of this, so please tell me where this is either complicated or less useful???

I've seen it work @ my dad's friend house, works really nice.
1 Receiver works for 2 TV's.
Independent channels, its really a cool feature.

They're dual tuner receivers with Dish. Each receiver is like a two-in-one...two tuners per receiver, two outputs, etc.

Thanks!

You can simply login to directv.com and click remove or call and have them removed. No charge if you do it within the 3 months. Prorated charge if after the 3 months. No requirement to keep them past the 3 free months.

The difference with the dual tuners from dish and direct is this. Make sure that when you are recording using dish that tv2 is not a tv that is watched alot. Because if you are recording to tv2 you cannot change the channel or the recording will stop. Directs isnt like that.

and yes this is a pro direct site because it is the direct forum. If you go to the Dish forum it will be a pro dish site lol.

The difference with the dual tuners from dish and direct is this. Make sure that when you are recording using dish that tv2 is not a tv that is watched alot. Because if you are recording to tv2 you cannot change the channel or the recording will stop. Directs isnt like that.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the 622 and 722 can be set in the menu so the timer records on the tuner that the timer was created on.

But I currently have mine to prefer TV2 since that TV isn't used much.

One other thing I like about the 622/722 is you can watch TV1 via the modulated output in the other rooms. I have 2 receivers in the living room, but can watch any of the 4 tuners in the other bedrooms.

You can simply login to directv.com and click remove or call and have them removed. No charge if you do it within the 3 months. Prorated charge if after the 3 months. No requirement to keep them past the 3 free months.

That's fair.

Thanks for the info!

and yes this is a pro direct site because it is the direct forum. If you go to the Dish forum it will be a pro dish site lol.

You are a bit confused here. Before you "try" and chastise me, let me clear you up because I thought was I said was completely obvious. I said the "site" seems "pro-direct". We are in the Direct "forum". I realize this, but I was referring to the site as a whole, just like I plainly stated. Your correction, while much appreciated, is completely out of context and unwarranted.

Thanks just the same though, Ray.

There are pros and cons of each companies DVR's. I have had the 622 and currently use the HR20. Both are good DVR's. The 622 is a bit over rated in my book with being able to output to a second TV. There are to many features that are lost that I would use more in this configuration. Also the picture quality is not up to what I would say great quality since it is only using the coax feed. You would get a much better picture using S-video on a seperate receiver if your TV supports it.

As for this site being pro Directv I can tell that you are newer around here. The site as a whole is more Dish centric than Directv.

HBO1, I read your other post in the Dish forum and noticed that you will be purchasing a new TV in the near future. I would also look into the deals that Directv is offering where you receive an extra $300 off for signing up with Directv and the purchase of the TV. Also I would take most of the opinions with a grain of salt when reading both of the threads. You will get the pro DTV people in this thread and pro Dish people in the others. Many of the people in both have blinders on for both companies. My personal belief is to just pick one that best fits your needs based on the channels offered. From personal experience both companies hardware are pretty close in offerings. FYI, The Directv DVR has come a long way in the past year with all the CE work that Directv has been doing. You will see many bash the DVR based on the inital roll out a few years ago or they just cant get over lossing Tivo.

This site is no more pro DTV than an autopsy.

You note the strong points............good PQ...............great coverage of many topics & interests

You note the weak points,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,many commercials......evasive & ambiguous service costs.

And, like any autopsy ..if you dig deep enough...........

But mostly we just spread it out evenly......except me , who has issues with how DTV deals with the installation arrangement from the installer's point of view.

I come here for knowledge.

Joe

I am aware of what it does, I just wouldn't want that. I do want MRV, but not by running coax between rooms. I would much rather pay for a second receiver with its own tuner and leave the two tuners in the DVR for recording.

I am aware of what it does, I just wouldn't want that. I do want MRV, but not by running coax between rooms. I would much rather pay for a second receiver with its own tuner and leave the two tuners in the DVR for recording.
Thats what I would prefer too. Personally I have no use for an independant SD feed at the expense of giving up a tuner for recording HD, although I can see why some would.

It works nicely for SD only though. and no new cables are required...you can diplex back for tuner 2.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Frustrated

Who changed the channel(s)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)