Glastonbury Festival 2004 on Rave HD 11/27

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Just caught highlights of it on channel 999.

Some of the Feature Artists.

Scissor Sisters
Lost Prophets
Black Eyed Peas
Morrissey
Kings of Leon
Nelly Furtado
Oasis
Paul McCartney

Yes, I also saw the promo. Looking forward for this one. Rave-HD has become such a great channel!!
BTW, I'm posting a similar thread at AVSForum.

Glad you posted in here today, Walter -- reminded me about this festival. Can't wait!

RAVE looks like it's having a really good day today - Dave Mathews in Central Park (heard good things), Sheryl Crow's soundstage (one of my favorites),Chris Isaak's Christmas Special (Very good), Steve Winwood (not my favorite, but has it's moments), Phil Collins (I'll pass), and the Festival (woohoo). I'm thinkin' I'll play it loud! :D

This was posted at a similar thread at AVSForum by sneals2000 (according to his profile he's a "TV Director" from UK):

"Yep - one of the trucks providing the BBC coverage at Glastonbury this year was HD (from Visions, who provided NBC with their HD presentation facilities for Athens 2004 this year - could be the same truck!)

The Beeb cover Glastonbury in a BIG way - in association with the rights holder (Mean Fiddler?) I was there in 2003 - saw REM and Royksopp live even though I was actually working there...

They have separate performance coverage trucks covering 3 or 4 stages, plus another two trucks providing BBC Two and BBC Three presentation. (There is usually a local news operation with SNG or Microwave from BBC Bristol as well)

They also stream extra coverage on the BBCi video streams on satellite and digital terrestrial (often giving you the choice of live performances on BBCi, and more presented delayed performances and highlights on BBC Two and Three)

From memory the Scissor Sisters were great on stage - though it will be interesting if a "wardrobe malfunction" is edited out to keep the FCC happy! (It went out live on one of the BBC networks)

Also - I suspect the coverage is 1080/50i - as it was (from memory) 576/50i not 576/25p when downconverted for broadcast (fluid motion not film-like)"

I want to watch this one. The highlight of Nelly Furtado does not look bad at all. Interested information about the HD production Walter. Thanks for posting;

Walter L. said:
This was posted at a similar thread at AVSForum by sneals2000 (according to his profile he's a "TV Director" from UK):
"From memory the Scissor Sisters were great on stage - though it will be interesting if a "wardrobe malfunction" is edited out to keep the FCC happy! (It went out live on one of the BBC networks")
I know this wasn't the point of his post, but I'm pretty sure the FCC can't do a darned thing about what goes out over satellite -- just OTA (hence the Howard Stern move from regular radio to satellite -- I think it works the same for t.v.). So, although I have no idea what the heck a Scissor Sister is -- I say long live wardrobe malfunctions!

Sean Mota said:
The highlight of Nelly Furtado does not look bad at all.
If you're referring to the one from behind wherein Ms. Furtado shakes her money-maker, you are the king of the understatement. :shocked :D
That is one good lookin' chick -- and pretty good songs, too!

First hour was pretty disappointing...

Scissor Sisters -- suck.

Groove Armada -- more of a studio band than a live one.

Nelly Furtado -- love her records, but she sucked here. would rather rip off my ears than listen to her barking backup singer (nice view from the back though!) sing one more second of a song

James Brown -- what is he? - like 95 years old?

Joss Stone -- surprise! definitely the highlight of the first hour. super. and looks good, too -- even if she is only 16 years old.

Supergrass -- never heard of 'em, but they were actually pretty good.

Overall sound and pq pretty good though.

2nd hour rocked it up a bit...

Starsailor -- kept the Supergrass vibe goin'. cool.

Christy Moore -- bloated old Irish dude. Excellent tunes. Wanna see full concert of his.

Elbow -- blows.

Lostprophets -- rock. hard. suck a little, too, but at least they're rockin'!

PJ Harvey -- pink heeled punk rock chick. cool.

Kings of Leon -- rock. cool.

Black-Eyed Peas -- awesome. all about Fergie shakin' it. Good songs, but they're better on record than live. But, damn is Fergie hot!

Last hour finished strong. . .

Morrissey -- decent performance, but not really my kinda music

Muse -- two of their three songs kinda rocked, but I'd rather shoot myself than listen to that whiny wuss of a lead singer anymore

Oasis -- top-shelf hits from an A-list band. Excellent.

Paul McCartney -- Oasis, meet your god. Old Man Beatle's still puttin' it down. Let It Be, Hey Jude -- now those are hits!

Overall, I'm a little disappointed, but it had it's moments. Wish they woulda taken the three hours and just split it up between Joss Stone, Christy Moore, Black-Eyed Peas, Oasis, and Paul McCartney.

I've watched most of it and IMO, PQ is excellent but the sound is not of the same quality level as the Phil Collins and Dave Mattews band concerts.
Regarding the performances, I was only impressed by Joss Stone, Supergrass, Oasis and, of course, Paul McCartney.
Anyway, I'm glad that Rave-HD is giving us fresh and new different content :)

Rush-HD: Joy Ride 2004 8pm ET

Monsters HD: The Fly Papers 5:30pm ET Today!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)