Getting Started With A Primestar Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DapOrp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
I just got one of those old 1 meter primestar dishes and want to get started into the wonderful world of FTA. :)

I do have a few immediate questions however.
First, the dish itself weighs a ton due to that enormous mounting bracket on the back of it. Is there a different type of bracket that I can fit onto this thing that would make it a little more light weight?
Also, with that mounting bracket on the back, it wants what looks like a 3 inch diameter pole to mount to, I don't have a 3 inch pole to put it on, nor do I want to go find one. :) Is there any way that I can adapt this bracket to fit onto a 1 5/8" pole? (standard size for 'normal' DBS dishes I believe). I would also like to eventually get a motor for this bad boy, and as such, would also require the dish to be either lighter in weight and mountable on a smaller pole, or I would need a super powered motor to lug this thing's big butt across the sky.

Another question I have is regarding the LNBF that is on the dish. I do plan to replace the LNB at some point, but as I'm just getting started I'd like to just give it a shot with what it's already got. But my other concern is, what it came with. :) The LNB it came with is the model with the 2 outputs, one is marked H the other is marked V. To combine these two I am with the understanding that one of those DirecTV multiplexor switches will work, is that correct? I believe Wal-Mart sells them, no? Or at least they used to back when I wasn't looking for them.

If anyone can offer me any advice or links to directions on how exactly to go about adapting this monster into a useable dish again, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

2 1/2 inch to 2 3/8" pole works fine for my dishes. I run the cables to an a/b switch and output to a receiver. A is horizontal and B is vertical. Do not get the Walmart A/B/C switches. Major leakage, causes all sorts of weird combinations that will not work like trying to watch multiple dishes on the TV's and the signal strength drops with these switches. Our Walmart had a $1 special on these a few years ago and I bought 6 of them. I still have 6 not in use. They are awfull. Even after they leave the receiver to the TV's they are pathetic.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

newbie ?

Saying Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)