Getting new service. Can I use a friend's extra DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kenja

Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Oregon
I am getting new DirectTV service, but I already have a slimline dish and a friend of mine has an extra HD DVR that he isn't using. As the dish, installation, and a standard receiver are included in new service, what is my best way forward? Can I get some kind of rebate for not taking the hardware with the new service or can I take and sell the new dish/reciever from the new service?

Also, I noticed that the friend's receiver/dvr says its the property of DirectTV, so I'm not sure how to transfer it to my account from his or if that is even possible. I just don't want to pay another $99 if it isn't necessary.

I don't think you can transfer a receiver from one account to another. I have never heard of anything like that. The only way I think it could work was if your friend owned it outright. The best thing to do is to get the Receiver ID# along with the access card # and call Directv and see if that receiver can be activated. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will let us know about it.

They'll ask him to send back the 'extra' receiver, which they already should have done if he's canceled it on his account and stopped paying the monthly fee. You'll need to get one at a discount as a new customer or buy one at retail. Any which way, you'll have a 2 year commitment.

My friend still has an active account with DirectTV. He bought an extra receiver for $200 about six months ago and just doesn't need it anymore. It's sitting in the closet collecting dust.

My friend still has an active account with DirectTV. He bought an extra receiver for $200 about six months ago and just doesn't need it anymore. It's sitting in the closet collecting dust.

The it belongs to D* and he need to send it back to them. He cannot transfer it to you and you will not be able to activate it. If he only paid $200 he didn't buy it. He paid the upfront lease fee.

The friend doesn't need to send it back to DirecTV if it is still active on his account (still paying $4.99/month). But as soon as he deactivates it, DirecTV will want it back. I doubt DirecTV has the functionality to transfer a deactivated leased box from one account to another. Nor would they want to. It would just be a nightmare keeping track of such transfers. Besides, the CSRs have enough trouble.

I was able to transfer a HD Receiver out of my account to another person's account. I called, had them turn it off on my service and then the new possessor of the HD Receiver simply called in and added it to his account. That was it.

I was able to transfer a HD Receiver out of my account to another person's account. I called, had them turn it off on my service and then the new possessor of the HD Receiver simply called in and added it to his account. That was it.
My guess is it was owned by you?
Makes no sense to do it with a leased receiver, which is the situation the OP is in.

Did your friend active it? Where did he get the receiver from? If he got if from a retailer store like Best buy but did not activate it then yes you can use it BUT if he ever activated it then no he has to send it back.

I have 4 receivers - all DVRs. My bill shows 2 as "Additional receiver" $5.00 and 2 as "Leased receiver" $5.00. I bought the first 2 before D* started making everything leased. Can I deactivate 1 of the OWNED receivers, give it to a friend, and then can he activate it on his account?

If the unit is a owned unit yes you can give it to your friend. There shouldnt be a problem with that. Its only when the units are leased units when it becomes a mess and most of the time they will not let you transfer the unit from one account to another

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Best source for new DTV receivers

Which Satellites will I need to be able to see?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)