Getting a bump up. How to ask?

agrolingua

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
NE WI
I have been a good, loyal Dish customer for several years now. Never have to call tech support (almost never), pay my bills and just make them money. I have the very basic Family Package for the blinding sum of $19.99/mn. Believe it or not I am quite satisfied what the programming for that amount. Every once and a while they throw in a new channel/s and about the time I get tired of it they take it off.

The only real problem I have is that it is Standard Definition. Not much fun watching on the 46" plasma. I watch local channels over the air. I am wondering if there is a tactic I can use to get bumped up to High Definition without moving up to a different package (and paying more)? I am sure if I call they will want to market me something else. I realize I will need a different receiver. But, overall I am happy with the package I have, but would just like HD. I see all the time promotions they do all the time with other packages where they give HD forever.

Any ideas how a loyal, but low profit customer like me might approach CS and see if I can get a bump up?

Last edited:
I have been a good, loyal Dish customer for several years now. Never have to call tech support (almost never), pay my bills and just make them money. I have the very basic Family Package for the blinding sum of $19.99/mn. Believe it or not I am quite satisfied what the programming for that amount. Every once and a while they throw in a new channel/s and about the time I get tired of it they take it off.

The only real problem I have is that it is Standard Definition. Not much fun watching on the 46' plasma. I watch local channels over the air. I am wondering if there is a tactic I can use to get bumped up to High Definition without moving up to a different package (and paying more)? I am sure if I call they will want to market me something else. I realize I will need a different receiver. But, overall I am happy with the package I have, but would just like HD. I see all the time promotions they do all the time with other packages where they give HD forever.

Any ideas how a loyal, but low profit customer like me might approach CS and see if I can get a bump up?

If you would like to PM your account information I could take a look and see what is available. I will let you know that it will require changing your package from DISH Family to get HD Free for Life. In fact HD add-ons are not available with DISH Family. If you were to upgrade your receiver you would only get your locals in HD (if available).

Thanks for the info Zach. I think that you confirmed what I expected from customer support. That is wanting me to move up to a different package (more expense or requiring a contract) when I am quite satisfied with the one I have. I guess I can not totally understand why that particular package is not eligible for HD.

You jogged my mind about one gripe that I do have with Dish and that is with the locals they/you do not carry all the locals that have popped up. In other words you might carry 38.1, but do not carry 38.2 or 38.3. So, I have been starting to ask myself why pay the extra $5 for locals when I can not get all of them.

The other thing is that while I am sure you indeed work for Dish I am not real comfortable PM'ing my account info to someone on an online forum. Nothing personal.

The DIRT members are outstanding. They ARE Dish employees. No different, regarding your account, than calling Dish.

Not a problem, I understand. The reason HD is not available with DISH Family has to do with the contracts that we have with the channel providers. As far as locals go when DISH negotiates for channels, it is going to be for the main channel and not the sub channel. Right now DISH doesn't carry sub channels. (38.2)

Do not forget about the Dish Latino packages; they have English channels, too.
Dish Latino Dos ($44.99/mo.) and Dish Latino Max ($57.99/mo.) are eligible for the HD Free for Life promo. Please note that the channels in the Dish Latino packages differ from the America's Top Channels. For example, Disney XD may be in Dish Latino Dos while it is not in America's Top 120 while Disney Channel may be in America's Top 120 but not Dish Latino Dos. However, Disney XD would be in America's Top 200 while Disney Channel would be in Dish Latino Max.

In addition, do not forget about a la carte offerings. [Although, I cannot confirm it, I did read on here I believe that some with the Welcome Family package were able to add the Blockbuster Movie Pass (formerly HD Platinum) for $10/month if you just want a few HD channels. There may even be a free 3-month trial if you qualify if you ask.]

I hope this helps.

In addition, do not forget about a la carte offerings. [Although, I cannot confirm it, I did read on here I believe that some with the Welcome Family package were able to add the Blockbuster Movie Pass (formerly HD Platinum) for $10/month if you just want a few HD channels. There may even be a free 3-month trial if you qualify if you ask.]

with the Welcome Pack any freeview or add on channel that has a HD counterpart you will get in HD. Yes you can add the BB Movie Pack to Welcome Pack

Perhaps you are forgetting one of my original points. I am happy with the Family Package and the price (though cheaper is OK). Just would like it in HD.

you can't add HD to it. At120 and above is the minimum you can add HD to

You can add alacarte stuff and get those channels in HD (if offered) but the base package you dont get the channels in HD

you can't add HD to it. At120 and above is the minimum you can add HD to

You can add alacarte stuff and get those channels in HD (if offered) but the base package you dont get the channels in HD

Thanks for the info. To stir the pot up a bit. Aren't many of the channels in the Family Package (and any other cheap packages) pretty much free/unscrambled on FTA satellite. Also, I am not sure if a lot of those channels are HD. Thanks.

Do you get locals from satellite also or just OTA. If you are grandfathered and do not pay for locals, that will end if you change packages, in fact it may end if you change anything.

Thanks for the info. To stir the pot up a bit. Aren't many of the channels in the Family Package (and any other cheap packages) pretty much free/unscrambled on FTA satellite. Also, I am not sure if a lot of those channels are HD. Thanks.

nope. The church/shopping ones usually are but all the rest are scrambled. And those church/shopping ones arent in the clear on the Dish sats (the only channel that a free to air receiver can get is Dish 101)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)