FTA and Ebay...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

theslag

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Hi all...

I was looking around Ebay for some receivers, just to see what people were selling. You come accross some good deals out there on the Coolsat 4000 and 5000, it seems that what alot of people are using, yes i know its easy to hack and NO im not going to ask a hacking question, D TV already gets 100+ of my dollars a month!!!...but, do you have to worry buying a receiver like that from ebay even though dealers on ebay are getting popped for selling them??

Come on Ice, you are the FTA god, whats your take on this???

RB

hee hee...FTA god....I'm not no god...just someone who enjoys FTA :)

99% of the receivers out there do come with the legal factory software so you’d be OK. If they say “this has the newest software to get EVERYTHING” or something like that, I’d be leery. They may have opened the box, loaded illegal software in it and then reboxed it.

I honestly wouldn’t have an issue buying a 5000 or a 4000 from some of them. There are reputable dealers who do sell on Ebay too (heck, Sadoun has EBay sales)

Yes...I noticed that they have a EBAY store. When Im ready, Im prob going to go that route. I just didnt feel like getting any phone call from D*N about a dealer that they popped and they have the records that I got a receiver from them. Oh well...

When the time comes, Ill stick with Sadoun or FTAdirect..

theslag said:
Yes...I noticed that they have a EBAY store. When Im ready, Im prob going to go that route. I just didnt feel like getting any phone call from D*N about a dealer that they popped and they have the records that I got a receiver from them. Oh well...

When the time comes, Ill stick with Sadoun or FTAdirect..

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. When you get a receiver from someone who sells them with illegal software, just flash the software back to a legal version of firmware. If you are questioned, invite the investigator in to view your setup.

Consider buying from someone who you know will honour the warranty. Some products are sold grey market. They are the legitimate product, but at a slashed price because there is no warranty service, as it didn't come through the proper North American sales distribution. You might have to send it back to Korea, then get the runaround that no one takes responsibility for it. Either that or you pay your discount price and take your chances. Just something to think about.

I bought my first two FTA boxes on ebay. The first one (Coolsat 4000) took forever to ship and I was quite concerned that I wasn't going to get it. It took over two weeks to arrive but once it arrived it was a short matter of time before I was setting up my first FTA system.

My second box (Pansat 3500s) I bought from an Ebay seller with tens of thousands of positive feedbacks. I picked this box up when it was in VERY high demand and the seller sold me a box he didn't have. I waited better than 3 weeks for it and paid $25 "expedited shipping" for him to send it UPS ground.

The point.... It may cost a little more, but if you go with a reputable dealer the service you get will more than worth the couple dollars you might save on ebay.

My third FTA receiver (DVB World USB) I bought from an ex-sponser of Satellite guys. I had bought from one of their ebay auctions in the past and had a very positive experience. They had a great deal on the item and I received it very quickly buying from their web site.

In short - don't expect good service from ebay and you won't be dissapointed :).

Last edited:
There was a dreambox on there a couple of weeks ago and the guy had screenshots of it with a sub channel on the TV. :rolleyes: I wonder if he was one of them that got busted recently. Serves them right.

I've bought several off of ebay, mostly because one of my favorite sellers is in the Detroit area and it only takes a day to get stuff. Got a bad switch once and he sent me two to replace. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones though. I'm sure there are less reputable sellers.

Shawn95GT said:
I bought my first two FTA boxes on ebay. The first one (Coolsat 4000) took forever to ship and I was quite concerned that I wasn't going to get it. It took over two weeks to arrive but once it arrived it was a short matter of time before I was setting up my first FTA system.

My second box (Pansat 3500s) I bought from an Ebay seller with tens of thousands of positive feedbacks. I picked this box up when it was in VERY high demand and the seller sold me a box he didn't have. I waited better than 3 weeks for it and paid $25 "expedited shipping" for him to send it UPS ground.

The point.... It may cost a little more, but if you go with a reputable dealer the service you get will more than worth the couple dollars you might save on ebay.

My third FTA receiver (DVB World USB) I bought from an ex-sponser of Satellite guys. I had bought from one of their ebay auctions in the past and had a very positive experience. They had a great deal on the item and I received it very quickly buying from their web site.

In short - don't expect good service from ebay and you won't be dissapointed :).

Yeap I remember that nightmare Shawn..

As you know, I've bought my Pansat 3500s and Coolsat 5000 locally and for me dealing with local Authorized Distributors beats any ebay/internet seller.

Pay, pickup and go home with your new hardware. No need to wait for weeks when you can deal with good local sellers in your area.

I am in the same boat as Iceberg, there are no local sat dealers within the state of Vt. I have bought 2 recievers off of ebay, but I was very carefull to check feedback ratings and item descriptions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

multi switches

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)