from VOOM to D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

medicalwaste

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
los angeles
i had been D* for about 7 yrs until early this year when i went off the air/sat, and i joined VOOM in july with no commit. deal (since i just purchased HDTV). i watched V* for 2 months and i decided to switch because i was always looking for something to watch on SD channels. but V* didn't have my usual channels.. TechTV, HGTV, DIY... of course i went VOOM for HD channels but i just didn't spend a lot of time watching their exclusive HD. so i found out that i didn't need 30+ V*HD channels... just need DiscoveryHD and a couple HD.

i just picked up samsung 360 and installed it with no problem. i was worried about lining the 3 lnb dish but it took me less than 10 sec. to get all three sat at 90 level.

after purchasing NFL ticket (another reason for switching in september..) i got the premium pack for 4 months with free HD for 6 months.. AWESOME !!

however i instantly noticed, when i turned on the HD channels, that the sound level/quality on HD channels are not as good as V*. it's same set up, only difference is the provider and the box. on V*, when i tune to HD channels, the sound was soooooo very clearer than other channels.. along with a good PQ, it really was WOW. D* picture quality on HD doesn't really bother me yet, but i notice the significant diff. on Audio Q. (although i think V* HD looked better. something about D* DiscoverHD makes it look less bright/ vibrant)

another issue is regarding the samsung receiver, i think. when i watch OTA channels with my indoor antenna, (im in LA, Cali) there is a significant audio level diff. between digital and analog broadcast of the same channel (ex. channel 4 and 4-1) is this normal?? i just don't know..

well, i just wanted express my experience in switching over to D* from V* after having it for 2 months.

after all, if anyone asks me if i regret switching over, my answer would be a big NO. D* doesn't sound or look as good, but i still want D* than V*. only if V* had little more SD channel offers, i would've stayed. but then again, NFL is here, now. so, until any of the HD channels become necessity for me, i won't need to worry about switching decisions..

the change in PQ is probably caused by differences in the picture output of the directv box. You were probably used to the voom settings of the stb. Try adjusting the TV picture settings until you get it to look better. I had the same problem when I switch from one directv box to another one.

medicalwaste said:
i had been D* for about 7 yrs until early this year when i went off the air/sat, and i joined VOOM in july with no commit. deal (since i just purchased HDTV). i watched V* for 2 months and i decided to switch because i was always looking for something to watch on SD channels. but V* didn't have my usual channels.. TechTV, HGTV, DIY... of course i went VOOM for HD channels but i just didn't spend a lot of time watching their exclusive HD. so i found out that i didn't need 30+ V*HD channels... just need DiscoveryHD and a couple HD.

i just picked up samsung 360 and installed it with no problem. i was worried about lining the 3 lnb dish but it took me less than 10 sec. to get all three sat at 90 level.

after purchasing NFL ticket (another reason for switching in september..) i got the premium pack for 4 months with free HD for 6 months.. AWESOME !!

however i instantly noticed, when i turned on the HD channels, that the sound level/quality on HD channels are not as good as V*. it's same set up, only difference is the provider and the box. on V*, when i tune to HD channels, the sound was soooooo very clearer than other channels.. along with a good PQ, it really was WOW. D* picture quality on HD doesn't really bother me yet, but i notice the significant diff. on Audio Q. (although i think V* HD looked better. something about D* DiscoverHD makes it look less bright/ vibrant)

another issue is regarding the samsung receiver, i think. when i watch OTA channels with my indoor antenna, (im in LA, Cali) there is a significant audio level diff. between digital and analog broadcast of the same channel (ex. channel 4 and 4-1) is this normal?? i just don't know..

well, i just wanted express my experience in switching over to D* from V* after having it for 2 months.

after all, if anyone asks me if i regret switching over, my answer would be a big NO. D* doesn't sound or look as good, but i still want D* than V*. only if V* had little more SD channel offers, i would've stayed. but then again, NFL is here, now. so, until any of the HD channels become necessity for me, i won't need to worry about switching decisions..

Also with the D* vs V* comparison... D* JUST put 3 HD channels per transponder for testing of bandwidth... The quality will be improved on all days except sunday when they will put 3 channels per transponder again... they will do this for the entire football season. (i just did a comparison last week and D* looked better than V*, now I agree since they stacked the channels V* looked and sounded better)

So enjoy the 100 HD football games and come next draft season D* will have more satellites up and more HD channels coming :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Titans - Dolphins Moved To Saturday

Dolphins game screw-up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)