Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
One of the big compaints we see here at SatelliteGuys.US is the picture quality of DirecTV's HD channels.

I just got my January 2007 edition of Sound and Vision in hand and saw the following two page ad from DirecTV.

While I do not have DirecTV I can't comment on its Picture Quality, so I will ask you guys if this ad is accurate.

Attachments

• directvad1.jpg
    directvad1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 462
  • directvad2.jpg
    directvad2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 259
I know when we had Directv HD earlier this year the HD picture quality sucked vs OTA. I have to say DISH is the same way though. Thank you HDLite.

Depends on the vaugeness of "other TV". My SD looks great on the 27" and 36" CRTs and OK on the 106" FPTV and 65" RPTV, BUT the HD looks great on the large screens; its as good and in many cases better than "flats" with cable HD; and those tiny screens cost more money! OTA HD looks great all the time vs all of them; but not an option for everybody.

It is just a vague over-simplification to drive home a point to consumers without HDTV about HD vs SD in general. Its not deceptive in any way.

Last edited:
its funny because the directv arrow is pointing at the pixelated, and the other tv is pointed at the regular tv, thats what it looked like at first to me :)

There are no arrows on the one I see. Other is to the left and DirecTV to the right; with solid indicator lines.

There are no arrows on the one I see. Other is to the left and DirecTV to the right; with solid indicator lines.

I was just saying its funny that at a glance it looks like an arrow pointing-Like this

-------stuart, now if I had a picture to the left of that, I usually assume that is an arrow, just had a chuckle that is all...I am very happy with my Directv Hd.

I was just saying its funny that at a glance it looks like an arrow pointing-Like this

-------stuart, now if I had a picture to the left of that, I usually assume that is an arrow, just had a chuckle that is all...I am very happy with my Directv Hd.

Sorry, I thought you were saying you saw arrows pointing opposite.

I find the commercials with Jessica Simpson talking about DirecTV HD being broadcast in 1080i funny as well. Since the 1080i standard implies a signal of 1920x1080 interlaced at 60hz, but the DirecTV HD signal does meet that standard.

I find the commercials with Jessica Simpson talking about DirecTV HD being broadcast in 1080i funny as well. Since the 1080i standard implies a signal of 1920x1080 interlaced at 60hz, but the DirecTV HD signal does meet that standard.

not turning this into a debate, but 1080i does not imply a set standard, in fact there is no standard that is set, as evidence to all the threads about Hd lite on here, which Directv is just taking advantage of a loop hole!

I have both cable and D* and all I can say is that they are both compressing the signal do death, but D* does look better than my cable.

HD PQ OK to me

I have been watching D on my Mits WD62725 via component and HDMI for a couple of years with OTA for the locals. I thought I saw a difference between the MPEG 2 HD and OTA. I had the HR 20 installed this past weekend and did an A/B comparison with MPEG 4 locals and OTA and saw no difference. Either my DLP is maxed out and won't get any better or I am the recipient of good from D. If the picture on another brand set is better I don't want to see it because I KNOW the wife will not approve the purchase. For what it's worth, the PQ on SD and HD from D is much better than Comcast as I had both for a while to compare. Wish I had scrutinized the locals being offered better, I had assumed TBS (local 17.1 in Atlanta) would be on the package... not.

We get our HD from three sources: over the air via antenna, Verizon FIOS and DirecTV.

Of these sources, DirecTV is an easy call for worst HD picture quality of the three. They surely do aggressively advertise otherwise, though.

Anyone ever tried to put a dress on a pig? Not me, but someone at D* must have tried it and liked it.:)

Everytime I see those commercials with Jessica Simpson, and she gets to the part where she says "I don't know what that means but I want it." I want to say "I don't know what that is either." :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTV and Road Runner

H20 won't turn on!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts