First there is some HD, then there is no HD, then there is

ttomni6

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Maui
Just curious if this is only because we are in Hawaii. We see satellites 110 / 119 / 129. I have a DISH 500 dish and the smaller one (all installed by the local DISH installers).

For the sake of this post, I will primarily refer to the HD feeds of MLBN and MLBNA.

The only location where I get MLBNA is 5451. There is only one feed for 5451 in my guide and it shows as HD. In the past, I have been able to receive the game and receive it in HD.

The other day (sorry, I don't recall the exact day), my feed of MLBN was blacked out and so I went to MLBNA just to watch some baseball other than the California team. However, when I tuned to 5451, the screen came on saying "complete signal loss".

Likewise, I primarily get MLBN on 5506. The feeds are available in both HD and SD and I have received them in HD. Last week I tuned into the HD feed of a game out of Cleveland and the HD feed showed, "complete signal loss". I manually tuned into the SD feed. I also get MLBN at 478 in both HD and SD. I tried the same game at the HD feed on 478 and after a pause, a message came up saying that the HD feed was not available so I was being switched to the SD feed.

Right now, I'm getting the HD feed, although it's regular programming and not a game.

In the past, I've had instances where I received my premiums like SHO West in HD in the 300's and set up a favorites list to include that feed. Then one day it was gone and I had to locate a SHO West HD feed (in the 5000's).

I'm also confused as to why some stations in a certain range are available but not others. For example, I see most HD channels in the 300 range but there's a gap between 368 and 377 where the stations are listed as available but show "complete signal loss". The only channel I'd really like to get in that range is 369 - Palladia, but only an HD feed is listed and it shows "complete signal loss" (and yes, I have BB@HOME so I'm authorized and the channel shows as unlocked).

So, is there a rational explanation for all of this other than, "it's just because you live in Hawaii"?

You should check your signal levels especially for those transponders. Signal loss does not mean blackout, so that's not the problem. It sounds like had you been able to get the signal you would have seen the game. It may be more a problem on your end rather than you being in Hawaii.

You should do a System Info to check if you are seeing all 3 sats. If you get green boxes on all three sats, box a will give you your status. Good or if there is an error, go to Details.

You should check your signal levels especially for those transponders. Signal loss does not mean blackout, so that's not the problem. It sounds like had you been able to get the signal you would have seen the game. It may be more a problem on your end rather than you being in Hawaii.

No, I don't believe it's the signal levels. When I had this same situation with NFL Network many months ago, I was on the phone with accelerated DISH support and we went through all the checks. The tech couldn't understand why it was happening and I had to settle on the SD feed until I found another HD feed in the 5000 range.

I get all the HD feeds on adjacent channels. There are just a few that don't come through. DISH has even stated in the past that not all channels will be available in Hawaii and Alaska. I'm looking for the rationale on how that is determined.

As an example, when I first got the BB@HOME promo a few months ago, I posted a complete list of the extra channels that we get, don't get or are at alternate locations. Just one small snippet (and mind you, the stations show in the guide as available in the 300's)..

Dish says 366 Universal in HD - only shows up at 5524
Dish says 368 CI in HD - we get it at the named location
Dish says 369 Palladia in HD - doesn't come in - says, "complete signal loss"
Dish says 371 Centric in HD - doesn't come in - says, "complete signal loss"
=========
That's just a very small sampling just to show the adjacency thing I'm talking about.

Another interesting thing is that when we first upgraded to HD about a year or so ago, the installer told us that we don't get any channels in the 9000 range. That was the case until recently. BUT - the channels that are lit up in the 9000's are the ones that we get in the lower ranges.

As an example - HBO premiums - I get most HBO premiums in HD. HBOSG and a few others are only available in SD. The recently lit 9000 channels give me the same HBO channels in HD that I have always had. However, channels like HD HBOSG are not available in the 9000's either. HBOZ and HBOCMY have always given the "complete signal loss" message and the same happens in the 9000's.

What this seems to be telling me is that some feeds are just not turned on here.

I understand the situation in Hawaii, the reason I said what I did is because you said for the MLBN sometimes you get the HD, sometimes it says no signal.

My thinking is that the problem the OP is having may be known in Hawaii and their answer may be easily found by checking locally.

PAC12 network (413) today is available only in SD here in Hawaii (and I suspect also Alaska). Same "Complete Signal Loss" message even though the channel shows as unlocked and available in HD.

Started poking around on Google and found an explanation on a website at microcomtv (copied and pasted below). It's a bit dated because some of the premiums they talk about we now get in the 5000 channel range. However, nobody at DISH support could give me this info during my many calls.

As I mentioned in earlier posts, it appears that DISH moves their feeds around so sometimes we'll get the HD feed and other times not. These days, none of our RSN's come in HD whether through AT250 or multi-sport.
========
High definition Information for Dish Network

If you receive a 015(complete signal loss) or a 002 (partial signal loss) try these steps for a 722/211 receiver
There are a handful of premium movie channels (hbo, starz, show time, and cinemax) that Alaska and Hawaii do not receive due to Alaska and Hawaii only receiving spot beams off of the 129 conus. If you are unable to view the channel please try and view the show in standard definition. (We do receive channels 300, 340, 351, 352, 318, and 319 in high definition on the premium movie channels)
If your screen says 015 (complete signal loss) press the menu button on your satellite remote and select option 1 (program guide) and select another channel

Finally seeing the HD feed in Georgia. Nothing on it right now but the Houston - UCLA game starts at 10:30.

Loyalty Department

Thanks for nothing Dish.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)