Firmware updates for VIP722 after disconnected for 6 monhts

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Hi,

We had Dish pause going for about 6 months while our new house was built, and today we got it re-connected in the new place. After the tech left the box seemed to show we weren't authorized to view any channels, and after multiple resets the box seemed to not respond at all.

I called the installer back, and he came right back over and got on the phone with Dish where they resent something back down to the box. He said it was way behind on the firmware and until the firmware was updated we wouldn't see our HD channels.

We're on the America HD Gold now, but we're only seeing a fraction of the channels which I think we're only getting the channels we had before in February before starting DishPause. The current firmware we're at now is L625 but the tech said the latest is L629 (can someone confirm this?). Anyone know now long it'll take for it to get updated or any way to force an update? The tech said if it's not updated by tomorrow to call him and he'll come back out, and worse case switch it out with a VIP722K (not sure what difference is between that and 722).

Thanks for any advice --

Sam

turn off receiver. wait. if it doesn't start an update. unplug from wall for a few mins. plug back in. wait. if it still doesn't take update. wait until morning and check again.

sometime during the night it should shut itself off, look for and download any updates it might need.

Performing a "Check Switch" under Settings -> Installation -> Dish Pointing (I think it's something like that.) Will force a guide download and software update.

Oh and another way would be to change the "nightly" update time to a time a few minutes in advance under the Updates menu. That will trigger the guide/firmware download.

Thanks guys --- I noticed the tech was going through he Dish Pointing page to get an updated guide, so I was wondering why he was doing that.

It's been about an hour or more since he left, so I've scheduled the Update to run in about 5 minutes, so maybe that'll do it. Also can someone confirm the latest firmware version for the VIP 722? Also when it does an 'Update', where does it get it from? I have broadband running to the box, so does it get it from there, or is it just downloaded from the satellite and cached until an 'Update' runs to install it? Just curious.

Thanks --

Sam

Thanks guys --- I noticed the tech was going through he Dish Pointing page to get an updated guide, so I was wondering why he was doing that.

It's been about an hour or more since he left, so I've scheduled the Update to run in about 5 minutes, so maybe that'll do it. Also can someone confirm the latest firmware version for the VIP 722? Also when it does an 'Update', where does it get it from? I have broadband running to the box, so does it get it from there, or is it just downloaded from the satellite and cached until an 'Update' runs to install it? Just curious.

Thanks --

Sam

Latest is L629.

EKB: ViP722 Software History

I have no idea where it gets it from when broadband is connected. All I know is it can update without a broadband connection. I have both of my 722k's connected to broadband, to avoid audits and crap, to get remote access, and in hopes of receiving software updates faster.

Thanks --

Sam

Downloads from Sat. When new firmware is released, they the spool out updates over a course of a week or so.

Hmm, the scheduled update ran, and after the box goes off for a few minutes and comes back up to the screensaver saying to hit Select to view TV, hitting Select brings up the Updating Program Guide screen with the status bar then the screen goes blank and the box reboots again. It's done this twice already. I wonder, if the latest firmware is L629 and with me being on L625 does it have to go through each new version of the firmware?

Thanks again --

Sam

I wonder, if the latest firmware is L629 and with me being on L625 does it have to go through each new version of the firmware?

No. If it is not up to snuff tomorrow, I'd say you likely have a bad box.

I manually scheduled the update to run, and after a few reboots we're now at L629 :) The problem now though is I'm not getting all the channels we're supposed to have. We're on the American HD Gold wih Platinum HD, and we're not getting FXHD, G4HD, History International HD, ID, MTV, MSNBC, VH1, Nick, Style, or a few others that according to the website should be working under this plan.

What stinks though is we had an HD only plan before we moved and were paying $47/month. I don't mind being limited in channels for that much, but our new plan is closer to $80/month. Heck i might as well just get American Top 250 and pop for the $99 one time fee for Lifetime HD. It would run me about $10 more than what we're paying now, plus we'd get the music channels.

But the firmware is updated, so we should be good on that front. I'll wait until tomorrow before I call Dish just incase some nightly update fixes the missing channels.

Take care --

Sam

Please forgive a quick OT question, but is the firmware updates the same for the VIP722k and the VIP722?
Thanks!

Ghpr13:)

plus just a little helpful insight for the rest of ya'll that has this problem. forcing a software update sometime is as easy as leaving the reciever plugged in and hooked up to the satellite dish, and turning BOTH tuners off on the reciever..

usually gets it everytime.

Hey guys --

I only have one dish on the roof, and I'm hitting satellites 119, 110, and 129. If I am missing something, why would the installer or Dish in general not set it up so we can get all the channels we're paying for? I've seen people with multiple dishes on their house, which I've never cared for, so it'll suck if we have to have a second dish just to get the channels in our package -- especially biggies like MTV, VH1, etc. Also would I get charged for it?

Thanks for the insight on this and for any info I can give Dish if I'm not hitting the correct satellites.

Sam

You are looking at all the correct satellites, another test that is good. Dish will need to activate the channels because it looks like your programming may not be set up correctly.

Local HD on VIP 622 but not on VIP612

Help with lost local channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts