Firm Touts DBS Triple-Play Solution

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
A new London-based technology firm boasted Thursday that it has a product that could allow direct-broadcast satellite operators such as DirecTV Inc. and EchoStar Communications Corp. to offer two-way interactive services that would allow them to compete with the triple-play bundles of video, voice and data marketed by cable operators.

WiNetworks Inc. said its product would allow DBS operators to integrate their satellite systems with the WiMAX wireless-broadband standard in order to offer triple-play services.

CEO Effi Atad said in a prepared statement that the product “will do for DBS what HFC [hybrid fiber-coaxial] did for cable and will make DBS operators the third and most-effective broadband-access channel to the home.”

The company demonstrated the technology at the International Broadcasting Convention trade show in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Sounds like a glorified starband dish to me with a setup for direct and or dish on it. But I wonder if they have gotten past the issues that sat internet faces now, if not then to me its not worth it, specialy if the cost doesnt come down.

No, it looks like they are putting the broadband on the WiMAX wireless part. Plus we might be able to dump the land line and still be connected for PPV. Voice would not be sent via satellite anyway.

Bleh, I liked starband for its speed when I was pilot testing it but the latency was one big problem and the other was it kept getting bumped down in its download speeds both by he company and as more and more people where brought onboard. But if they are expecting to compete then they honestly have to be cheaper than starband and directway and even cheaper than comcast otherwise its not going to be worth it to the vast majority of people who live in a rural setting.

DIY satellites reinvent the space race

Moto DCT6412 Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)