Finally Ready To Upgrade Leased 942 to 622

David Dietzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 21, 2004
Rancho Cucamonga
Homies:

I finally dispatched some financial obligations and am now ready to call into Dish to upgrade my 942 to a 622 and convert my Top 180 package to the equivalent HD metallic plan.

What's the upgrade cost/process now that we're into August? Have the offers changed much since May?

Log into your account at Dish's website and check the equipment upgrade link. You could also play CSR roulette to see what they'll give you and if you're still not happy, try the executive office route....

Nothing has changed lately. $199 up front, $100 rebate when you send in your 942 and then another $10/rebate for 10 months on the upgraded programming.

So, basicaly its a "free" upgrade.

The "essentially free" upgrade path sounds like a winner -- I thought it might have been a temporary offer that might have expired at the end of July or something.

Very good -- will give them a ring in the morning -- can't wait to get those extra HD channels and a small increase in hard drive capacity.

By the way, is Dish EVER going to activate that silly USB port for extra external hard drive capacity????????

With six family members recording more and more HD content, the 622's internal hard drive is going to fill up pretty darn fast.

David Dietzel said:
By the way, is Dish EVER going to activate that silly USB port for extra external hard drive capacity????????
When I did my upgrade last month, the Executive CSR told me "its on its way". And Scott reported seeing a demo of it at Team Summit. So cross your fingers.

"With six family members recording more and more HD content, the 622's internal hard drive is going to fill up pretty darn fast."

Specially since you can only record 30 hrs. of HD content.

A second 622 upstairs on the SD set would be useful as we could sent the content downstairs to our lone Sony HDTV.

Hard drives, however, are dirt cheap and adding an external 350 GB or more would likely be less costly than a second 622. In fact, being able to network a 622 to a terabyte server in the closet would be insanely cool.

I think I'll go with one 622 for now as we only have one HD set at this time -- tho, one never knows what Santa may bring!

After Vista releases, I'm dying to built a Media Server as part of my family room entertainment system and network it through the house.

We live in exciting times.

they recently gave a face lift to the equipment upgrade page.

It looks like dish no longer sells receiver and the siplified the dish'n it up page and it says

Hurry - offer expires on November 1, 2006

So it looks like a new offer is coming out November 2, 2006. But I wouldn't worry about the offers going down, it probably only gets better

Other interesting things to note, which could still apply but are no longer mentioned is the

18 month commitment

and it also says Monthly subscription to DishHD programming is required for HD receivers or a monthly $6.00 HD Enabling fee applies, so it seems that you may not have to have dishhd, but it would seem silly not to

Just upgraded to the 622 (? about locals)...

its been a long time - have some oddball questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)