FCC Denies and Cancels Echostar 85.5W Licenses

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
7/26/2012 FCC Action

The International Bureau has Denied Echostar request to substitute E8 for a new satellite at 86.5W and has Canceled Echostars authorization to operate a DBS satellite at 86.5W.

85.5W was one of two DBS satellites authoriized to operate at the 4.5 degree half space located between the standard 9 degree spaced DBS slots (tweener). Spectrum Five holds the other license. It has a similar failure to construct and one can expect to also see it denied and canceled.

Before requesting to move E8 to 85.5W, Echostar had earlier indicated in correspondence that they might file to move to 148W to preserve rights to that slot.

Denied and Canceled

This really isn't too surprising since Dish has been jerking around with the 86.5 W slot for too many years. I wonder if Dish will appeal and instead propose moving the E-15 satellite from 61.5 W to 86.5 W after the E-16 satellite is launched.

This really isn't too surprising since Dish has been jerking around with the 86.5 W slot for too many years. I wonder if Dish will appeal and instead propose moving the E-15 satellite from 61.5 W to 86.5 W after the E-16 satellite is launched.

The FCC pretty much shot that down too, by saying it is null and void and now the slot is subject to the freeze on new DBS service applications. Dish cannot file an application for E15...

The FCC pretty much shot that down too, by saying it is null and void and now the slot is subject to the freeze on new DBS service applications. Dish cannot file an application for E15...

Dish can appeal the FCC ruling within 30 days. The FCC ruling emphasised the age of the E-8 satellite and the desire to put a newer, state of the art satellite at 86.5 W. I think the E-15 satellite would qualify for that and since the requirement for operation is November 29, 2012, one would expect the E-16 satellite to be launched and operational by then so that the E-15 satellite could be moved from 61.5 W.

Last edited:
Dish can appeal the FCC ruling within 30 days. The FCC ruling emphasised the age of the E-8 satellite and the desire to put a newer, state of the art satellite at 86.5 W. I think the E-15 satellite would qualify for that and since the requirement for operation is November 29, 2012, one would expect the E-16 satellite to be launched and operational by then so that the E-15 satellite could be moved from 61.5 W.

Point well made. If they had serious plans for 86.5 , E15 would surely meet the "new" requirement.

Now we know what entering into a satellite construction contract means ---- not much until you see them build it.

"In fact, Echostar made no payments at all on this contract after an initial payment at execution, and that initial payment amounts to only a small fraction of one percent of the contract price."

Now we know what entering into a satellite construction contract means ---- not much until you see them build it.

"In fact, Echostar made no payments at all on this contract after an initial payment at execution, and that initial payment amounts to only a small fraction of one percent of the contract price."

It is kind of like ordering an airplane - Boeing reports X number in the backlog but the airlines trade them back and forth and may never actually buy them. Dish has a set of satellites on order but it seems to redirect them to different purposes/slots as needed.

The problem is what can they possibly do with it even if they launched a satellite there. Your talking all new dish configurations to use it.

I was guessing they planned to use it for Mexico service since it had good coverage there with them using a two satellite dish to receive 86.5 and 77.

It sure looks like Dish/Echostar has changed their game plan and no longer have dreams of expanding or being a major contract TV carrier for other providers.

They dropped their C band application and all their BSS 17/24 Ghz applications.

They have no announced TV satellites under contract for future construction after E16 (24-30 months from contract to launch). But, they do have pending broadband/communication satellites on the Hughes side of the business.

After E16, it sure looks like we can expect to see little change in their TV satellites (possibly 148W for the far west) from them for several years, if not longer. Now their TV operations fit the description of a mature business which flies against their corporate culture.

Meanwhile Directv is moving along on the addition of their BSS TV satellites.

They really don't need any more satellite space, with the conversion starting to 8PSK and then after that starting MPEG4 upgrades they have lots of space to play with on the birds they have now.

DIRECTV needs more satellite space since the majority of their equipment does not support 8PSK or MPEG4. DISH is many many years ahead of DIRECTV in this area.

They really don't need any more satellite space, with the conversion starting to 8PSK and then after that starting MPEG4 upgrades they have lots of space to play with on the birds they have now.

DIRECTV needs more satellite space since the majority of their equipment does not support 8PSK or MPEG4. DISH is many many years ahead of DIRECTV in this area.

This is certainly true with respect to CONUS TPs but I'm not so sure Dish has enough space for HD locals especially with the rule about having to carry all the HD locals in an area by a certain date. Dish will gain some space by getting rid of the SD locals but don't know if that will give them enough space.

I respectfully disagree Scott.They both need more space.The Qpsk to 8psk is gonna take at least another 2 yrs,who knows how long it will take for full Mpeg4.Channels are already sandwiched to death another Sat or 2 would be great imo.

7/26/2012 FCC Action

The International Bureau has Denied Echostar request to substitute E8 for a new satellite at 86.5W and has Canceled Echostars authorization to operate a DBS satellite at 86.5W.

85.5W was one of two DBS satellites authoriized to operate at the 4.5 degree half space located between the standard 9 degree spaced DBS slots (tweener). Spectrum Five holds the other license. It has a similar failure to construct and one can expect to also see it denied and canceled.

Before requesting to move E8 to 85.5W, Echostar had earlier indicated in correspondence that they might file to move to 148W to preserve rights to that slot.

Denied and Canceled

International Bureau has canceled Spectrum Five DBS license for 114.5W
Now there are no 4.5 Degree spaced DBS satellites authorized with no new applications to be accepted until "new" rules are developed (maybe never).

Spectrum Five Denial

The FCC is getting serious about cleaning up all these outstanding satellite slots. I am glad S5 was finally cancelled since it became pretty clear they lost all their funding and were just hanging on to the slot. It would be one thing if they actually worked to resolve the interference issues and such, but they appear to be non responsive on everything.

FoxNews Channel problems

What does a Cable Splitter do? How can I tell if I set it up right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)