Ellis fined $10,000

cybok0

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Sha Ka Ree.
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP)—New York Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis has been fined $10,000 by the NFL for throwing snow at fans following the team’s loss at Seattle on Sunday.

Several fans threw snowballs at New York players and staff as they walked off the field after the Seahawks’ 13-3 victory. Ellis then walked over to a pile of snow, picked up a large chunk and tossed it into the stands at Qwest Field, appearing to hit at least a few fans. No one was believed to have been injured.

Ellis said Tuesday: “It was all in fun.”

It’s the latest troublesome incident involving Ellis, who was arrested for speeding and marijuana possession last month and could face a suspension next season under the league’s substance-abuse policy.

Jets' Ellis fined $10,000 for tossing snow at fans - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Not a smart move on his part, potentially dangerous if there were kids there or ice in the pile, but still a lot of fun to watch.

Not a smart move on his part, potentially dangerous if there were kids there or ice in the pile, but still a lot of fun to watch.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI9C0n63F68]YouTube - NY Jets DE, Shaun Ellis, Hurls Giant Snowball at Seahawks Fans[/ame]

There is the YOUTUBE version. You guys decide. Personally, I think the fans deserve it. It's OK for them to pelt players AND STAFF with snowballs, but it's just "fans having a good time"??!! Those snowballs could have had something put in them on purpose....bottle caps that can cut....batteries....amd who knows what....

YouTube - NY Jets DE, Shaun Ellis, Hurls Giant Snowball at Seahawks Fans

There is the YOUTUBE version. You guys decide. Personally, I think the fans deserve it. It's OK for them to pelt players AND STAFF with snowballs, but it's just "fans having a good time"??!! Those snowballs could have had something put in them on purpose....bottle caps that can cut....batteries....amd who knows what....

I'm a Jet fan and I understand your point to an extent, but Ellis was wrong to do that. He just was. Factor in his arrest for having marijuana in his car two weeks ago, and you really have to question this guy's constitution.

That said, the fans should also be accountable. A few years ago the Giants had a similar situation, and they reviewed video tape and revoked season tickets from people they could identify throwing snowballs. We're talking about season tickets that have been passed from generation to generation, with a 30 year waiting list, and all of a sudden they're gone.

The Seahawks should do the same thing to whoever they can identify. Even prosecute if possible.

But when you start condoning an athlete responding to and attacking the fans, you're crossing a line you don't want to cross.

Sandra

I'm a Jet fan and I understand your point to an extent, but Ellis was wrong to do that. He just was. Factor in his arrest for having marijuana in his car two weeks ago, and you really have to question this guy's constitution.

That said, the fans should also be accountable. A few years ago the Giants had a similar situation, and they reviewed video tape and revoked season tickets from people they could identify throwing snowballs. We're talking about season tickets that have been passed from generation to generation, with a 30 year waiting list, and all of a sudden they're gone.

The Seahawks should do the same thing to whoever they can identify. Even prosecute if possible.

But when you start condoning an athlete responding to and attacking the fans, you're crossing a line you don't want to cross.

Sandra

I see your point...especially since he has been involved in somewhat questionable behavior in the last few months. But how is it any different than what a TON of fans were doing? I mean I know the visiting players are expect to take some heat from the opposing home team fans....but things thrown at them? All I see was picking up some snow and "making it rain" ..in this case...'making it snow.....'

I see your point...especially since he has been involved in somewhat questionable behavior in the last few months. But how is it any different than what a TON of fans were doing? I mean I know the visiting players are expect to take some heat from the opposing home team fans....but things thrown at them? All I see was picking up some snow and "making it rain" ..in this case...'making it snow.....'

I said the fans were wrong. Some of the Giant fans were prosecuted, and the Seahawks should do the same. There are probably a hundred videos of this out there. Use them all and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

Sandra

Sandra

I don't want to start a drug debate, but I wouldn't question his constitution because of this....

YouTube - NY Jets DE, Shaun Ellis, Hurls Giant Snowball at Seahawks Fans

I agree. Why arent the fans fined? Frankly Ellis and other players should sue the NFL for being assaulted by its fans that it cannot keep under control.

I agree. Why arent the fans fined? Frankly Ellis and other players should sue the NFL for being assaulted by its fans that it cannot keep under control.

Good point! Unsafe work environment. But the sports media would have a cow and say that "they paid their hard earned money" and so on, and they would be right. BUT, since when do fans have the right to assult the players and oppossing teams staff?

Aside from who's right & who's wrong in this I think the NFL should rethink their fines! Ellis gets 10k, Wes Welker and Ben Watson of the Patriots are fined 10k. Welker for doing a 'Snow Angel' /Watson for stuffing a ball under his jersey! A SNOW ANGEL? Something screwy w/NFL in way they handle things. The fans can get away w/stuff and league/teams do nothing about this. Although I know that the Patriots if they identify the fans will rescind their season tickets. Paul

Aside from who's right & who's wrong in this I think the NFL should rethink their fines! Ellis gets 10k, Wes Welker and Ben Watson of the Patriots are fined 10k. Welker for doing a 'Snow Angel' /Watson for stuffing a ball under his jersey! A SNOW ANGEL? Something screwy w/NFL in way they handle things. The fans can get away w/stuff and league/teams do nothing about this. Although I know that the Patriots if they identify the fans will rescind their season tickets. Paul

No...you make some very valid points. I mean a $10,000 for doing a snow angel??!! That is ridiculous!

I couldn't have said it better myself salsa. I don't know who made the rule that the fans can do whatever they want to these athletes and they have to take it.they should throw these fans out of the stadium the moment they start doing things like this

I agree. I didnt see the angel as mocking the opponent but rather just having fun. The fine is absurd.

I agree.The things the NFL is fining these days is ridiculous and it's getting out of hand.Like they say NFL stands for the No Fun League.

good point.fine them,throw them out of the stadium and if it's persisting behavior just ban them from the stadium. But once they start getting fined I doubt there would be a need to ban a fan from a stadium.

I couldn't have said it better myself salsa. I don't know who made the rule that the fans can do whatever they want to these athletes and they have to take it.they should throw these fans out of the stadium the moment they start doing things like this

Salsa is saying the fans deserve to have snow (actually an ice chunk) thrown at back at them by football players. Is that what we're all agreeing with?

We're all saying the fans should be prosecuted as far as the law allows, like the Giants did a few years ago.

Sandra

Salsa is saying the fans deserve to have snow (actually an ice chunk) thrown at back at them by football players. Is that what we're all agreeing with?

We're all saying the fans should be prosecuted as far as the law allows, like the Giants did a few years ago.

Sandra

I am saying that if a fan throws something at a player, neither they nor the league should be surprised that an athlete responds in kind. Now the incident in Detroit between the fans and Ron Artest was complete different and a fluke thing. It does not happen often enough to start some wide panic that this is a re-occuring issue. The problem is, the ESPNs of the world will play it over and over and over again until you think it litterally happens every other day.

Sandra

Yes I'm agreeing with salsa here especially since it was a chunk of soft snow not a solid chunk of ice that can seriously injure someone. the player basically said to himself " you threw at me a few snowballs,i'm going to throw back at you the equivalent but in one shot :D" . If fans were actually prosecuted for actions like these there wouldn't be a need for retaliation by a player.

Yes I'm agreeing with salsa here especially since it was a chunk of soft snow not a solid chunk of ice that can seriously injure someone. the player basically said to himself " you threw at me a few snowballs,i'm going to throw back at you the equivalent but in one shot :D" . If fans were actually prosecuted for actions like these there wouldn't be a need for retaliation by a player.

I agree with the sentiment.

But when you start debating if something thrown by a player at a fan is 'a chunk of soft snow' or a 'solid chunk of ice', you're getting into very subjective territory you don't want to get into.

Players cannot throw things at fans. Period. The Giants dealt harshly with their fans. They were actually prosecuted. And, what may have been even more important to some of them, they lost their season tickets.

Not sure how much season tickets mean in Seattle, but those fans should be prosecuted just like Giant fans were prosecuted.

Sandra

I agree with the sentiment.

But when you start debating if something thrown by a player at a fan is 'a chunk of soft snow' or a 'solid chunk of ice', you're getting into very subjective territory you don't want to get into.

Players cannot throw things at fans. Period. The Giants dealt harshly with their fans. They were actually prosecuted. And, what may have been even more important to some of them, they lost their season tickets.

Not sure how much season tickets mean in Seattle, but those fans should be prosecuted just like Giant fans were prosecuted.

Sandra

i hear ya. :)

Now THIS is a role model!

Thoughts to Ponder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)