Electrical Problem Burning Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Peay3

Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
I have a 3 receiver setup. One receiver is a TIVO with two cables running to it. I have two other regular receivers. I came home one day after having DirecTV for over a year and discovered that 1 of my receivers would not power on. Turns out the breaker was tripped. I un-trip the breaker and go to the receiver. It's humming and then trips the breaker again. So, I think the receiver is bad. I take it to where my other single receiver is and test it there. I get a big shock out of the coaxial as I'm plugging in the bad receiver. So, I decide that the receiver is bad and go to reconnect the single receiver that was at that tv. Now, that receiver can't find the satellite signal. I call DirecTV out. They try to replace the receivers and blow one after the other (and damage the LNB) in both single receiver rooms. Also get a big shock at the splitter. All the while, the TIVO receiver works fine. The two single receivers are on the same circuit breaker. So, I call an electrician. He comes out and tests everything. He says there is nothing wrong with the way my outlets are wired, etc. He notices that the DirecTV system is not grounded. So, he and I hooked up a ground to the splitter running to a cold water pipe. Is this all that needs to be done? I don't want to call DirecTV and have them come out and blow more receivers. The electrician could not detect or think of any other potential problems. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Call a licensed electrician out ASAP to inspect your home for a 2nd separate opinion from the first electrician, but the not being grounded was a good place to start, although I am not 100% that was the best way!

Last edited:
As a Master Electrician, I can say that you likely have a floating ground.

Electric service to homes consists of two power wires and a neutral or ground return wire which is usually white. One power wire and a neutral provides 120 VAC. The two power wires provide 240 VAC. If the neutral is not properly grounded, a heavy draw on one 120 VAC side of the circuit causes a massive voltage drop on the companion circuit. When no power is drawn on one side of the pair, with a floating ground voltages rise way beyond 120 VAC. This overvoltage would easily fry a circuit designed for 120. Low voltage will cause appliances and circuits to overheat.

Unless you are qualified, you need an experienced electrician. Other than that, you can inspect the grounding system including the grounding clamp, rod and cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Atlanta HD LIL transponders

Where can I buy the cheapest HR20?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)