Echostar withdraws from 17Ghz Satellite Market

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
Echstar had abandoned their plans for five (5) 17Ghz satellites with a launched value in the range of 1.5 billion dollars.

They state that 4 of the 5 slots lack sufficient international priority to avoid interference with other nations proposed 17 Ghz satellites. The 5th slot has fewer interference problems but would require a special redesigned outdoor unit (dish/lnb assembly) to be compatable with the existing fleet.

17 Ghz Surrender Filing

Last edited:
I wonder if this points to the end of expanding capacity for satellite TV as far as Dish is concerned. If Dish thinks the country will move to IPTV, a bunch more capacity may not be needed.

I wonder if this is a partial response to having to deal with the Spectrum Five nonsense the last few years.

Probably see it is a commodity business in which they can lease capacity (ciel 2, quetzsat 1 examples) if they need it.

The FCC has them under sanction for not completing launches and this should clear the deck for their request to move E8 to 86.5W.

This is quite surprising considering they had recently submitted modifications to the FCC for at least two of these satellites. It probably is a result of some of Dish's other recent acquisitions and their long term plans with putting these pieces together.

I agree with HDRobert's post. Do away with SD duplicates of HD as soon as possible, go to all MPEG 4 as soon as possible, and you have quite alot of sat space. Merge with or aquire Direct TV and you have more than enough. :D

I think they see delivery of a lot of content via broadband internet and are cobbling a hybrid service to make what bandwidth they have now most efficient.

This is what I see happening (if they don't merge with DirecTV or a phone company..or even if they do merge with a phone company): Move to an all HD & MPEG-4 service as soon as is practicable (how many set top boxes can you buy for $1.5 billion?) and on top of that, reduce or greatly reduce the amount of linear PPV. If they start sticking 1TB drives in boxes, with MPEG 4 they could pre-download new hit releases for immediate VOD. For longer term items, a great number of customers are moving to broadband, and I see them using the Blockbuster online service as their primary PPV vehicle, freeing up space on the satellites for items that should truly be broadcast and not narrowcast.

Dishonline on a Galaxy Tab (Android 2.2 "Froyo)?

Tivo Swings to 1Q Record Profit After Dish Settlement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)