DVR & Digital Box Firmware Upgrades!

Khandurian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
Cocoa Beach Baby!
Over the past few days, BHN has decided to update the code in their boxes.

What does this mean for you? Nothing much really, as most of you wont even know it happened. Why? cause they schedule their updates for 3 am. When most people are asleep.

Anyways, this upgrade had some technical stuff that really didn't mean too much to me. However, the point of interest after this upgrade did affect some DVR's in a negative way.

One of the code parts upgraded had to do with the DVI connection on the back of the DVR. This code upgrade was to
bring the dvi port closer to established standards

Well, on your older HD tv's. This caused the box to no longer work. Heres the work around to get that DVI cable working again.

Get yourself a set of RCA cables and hook them up. Switch the TV over to use the rca connections. Go into the settings of the DVR and re-setup the output of the dvr (ie: 1080i 720p) Make sure the box will out put what your tv can handle. Switch back to the dvi port on the tv and it SHOULD be back to normal.

If this does not solve the problem, and you desperatly only want to use that dvi connection, disconnect the box completely from your set, take it down to the local office and exchange it for the 8300 dvr.

They already have a stockpile of the 8300 dvr's just for this purpose.

Good Luck!!

Over the past few days, BHN has decided to update the code in their boxes.

What does this mean for you? Nothing much really, as most of you wont even know it happened. Why? cause they schedule their updates for 3 am. When most people are asleep.

Anyways, this upgrade had some technical stuff that really didn't mean too much to me. However, the point of interest after this upgrade did affect some DVR's in a negative way.

One of the code parts upgraded had to do with the DVI connection on the back of the DVR. This code upgrade was to

Well, on your older HD tv's. This caused the box to no longer work. Heres the work around to get that DVI cable working again.

Get yourself a set of RCA cables and hook them up. Switch the TV over to use the rca connections. Go into the settings of the DVR and re-setup the output of the dvr (ie: 1080i 720p) Make sure the box will out put what your tv can handle. Switch back to the dvi port on the tv and it SHOULD be back to normal.

If this does not solve the problem, and you desperatly only want to use that dvi connection, disconnect the box completely from your set, take it down to the local office and exchange it for the 8300 dvr.

They already have a stockpile of the 8300 dvr's just for this purpose.

Good Luck!!

thanks for the update...thought i havent had any problems, and im hoping you ment hdmi...cause the boxes dont have dvi...thought of course u can use hdmi to dvi wire.....well im out..peace

i don't know if this is the same thing but the past few days, it appears their was some kind of software update because i've noticed a few changes: when i reboot the box, i noticed a different name, not passport. next, when i set up the dvr to record a sporting event, it now says `record live event, do you want to extend the recording time. and lastly, it appears there is no a double click when erasing a program....probably to make sure you don't erase by mistake. i have two 8300 hd dvr's at my house.

razorphreak900 - No, I meant exactly what I said. You have to remember, when they first came out with the HD-DVR's they were not the 8300 that we enjoy today. Thus why it says to come in and exchange for the 8300 dvr.

Also, this also pertains to straight HD boxes as well. I should have put that in there, but I was focusing on the DVR cause our system does have some old stuff floating around out there.

The same thing goes for the standard HD boxes, (non dvr) and I know ALL the new HD boxes (non dvr) do have the DVI port.

iceturkee - ya, its software and firmware update. They usually do both at once. Just most people do not know that the firmware is being upgraded as well.

And of course, on both boxes, it still pertains to the ability to be able to use the HDMI to DVI cables. Course, if you have to use one of those cables, then you truly have an older HD tv.

This is where most of the problems are happening anyways. Those that are running an HDTV that is more than a couple of years old. In fact, my tv has that problem. It was bought very early in the HD game and does not even have the HDMI port in the back.

razorphreak900 - No, I meant exactly what I said. You have to remember, when they first came out with the HD-DVR's they were not the 8300 that we enjoy today. Thus why it says to come in and exchange for the 8300 dvr.

Also, this also pertains to straight HD boxes as well. I should have put that in there, but I was focusing on the DVR cause our system does have some old stuff floating around out there.

The same thing goes for the standard HD boxes, (non dvr) and I know ALL the new HD boxes (non dvr) do have the DVI port.

iceturkee - ya, its software and firmware update. They usually do both at once. Just most people do not know that the firmware is being upgraded as well.

And of course, on both boxes, it still pertains to the ability to be able to use the HDMI to DVI cables. Course, if you have to use one of those cables, then you truly have an older HD tv.

This is where most of the problems are happening anyways. Those that are running an HDTV that is more than a couple of years old. In fact, my tv has that problem. It was bought very early in the HD game and does not even have the HDMI port in the back.

oh ok, and i do agree with you, i have seen older connections, but dvi and hdmi are the exact same thing, the only difference is that hdmi can handle sound on the same wire and its smaller, but picture wize it hasnt changed....i kno this for a fact :),so any hdtv wether is old or new it will be the same thing, like is aid dvi or hdmi is just as good...of course hdmi is fancier and all but if its the same thing then i do not consider dvi old or a tv having dvi old.....thats totally wrong to say......thats like if i was to say i have a 2 year old 40 incher high deff tv that has all the connection but a hdmi,and me saying oh its antient.....the wire hdmi ot dvi is just a very convenient way of not having to buy a "new" model tv, cause they do the same exact purpose, did i say that already? hahahah...well u get the idea.....take care

oh ok, and i do agree with you, i have seen older connections, but dvi and hdmi are the exact same thing, the only difference is that hdmi can handle sound on the same wire and its smaller, but picture wize it hasnt changed....i kno this for a fact :),so any hdtv wether is old or new it will be the same thing, like is aid dvi or hdmi is just as good...of course hdmi is fancier and all but if its the same thing then i do not consider dvi old or a tv having dvi old.....thats totally wrong to say......thats like if i was to say i have a 2 year old 40 incher high deff tv that has all the connection but a hdmi,and me saying oh its antient.....the wire hdmi ot dvi is just a very convenient way of not having to buy a "new" model tv, cause they do the same exact purpose, did i say that already? hahahah...well u get the idea.....take care

The DVI and HDMI plug are totally different physically so to say a SA8300HD has a DVI connection is totally and completely wrong.

The DVI and HDMI plug are totally different physically so to say a SA8300HD has a DVI connection is totally and completely wrong.
physically of course is different, but it is the same exact type of connection, if people get bothred by the older hd's then just go to cable and exchange the box, just give w/e excuse lol.....if you really want your hdmi, thoughti have the 8300hd....:)

both of my hd sets are 2 years old. i only notice a component connection on both. pardon me for sounding stupid but i assume its because my sets are older?

both of my hd sets are 2 years old. i only notice a component connection on both. pardon me for sounding stupid but i assume its because my sets are older?

they could be older, or just a different model, depends, if the box works just fine and you do not need the higher connections then there is not need to change the box, thought the newer boxes do work a lil better and faster, and depending wich model u have, they look nicer, (thought i would love for them to bring out the motorola boxes) they are somewhat better than the scientific atlanta, but what can u do and is more stylish lol, but yea if you need the feel for a "better" or newer box just go to your nearest cable comp and just change the boxes, just tell em u got "new tv's" even if you already have them or not, and tell them u want the boxes with the hdmi, and of course make sure is dvr jic, thought they also come with the component even if u dont get to use hdmi.....good luck

physically of course is different, but it is the same exact type of connection, if people get bothred by the older hd's then just go to cable and exchange the box, just give w/e excuse lol.....if you really want your hdmi, thoughti have the 8300hd....:)

They arent the same type of connection - in fact there are 3 slightly different DVI plugs depending on the type.

i have 2 8300hd dvr's. i don't think brighthouse anything newer. but i only have component hook-ups on the back of both of my 2-year-old hd tv's.

you must be misunderstanding me. my dvr's have an hdmi connection but my televisions don't!! my tv's only have a component cable connection!!!

btw, i'm just reading a notice i received in the mail from brighthouse. software was updated on all dvr smartboxes. says any parental control options may need to be re-set!!

you must be misunderstanding me. my dvr's have an hdmi connection but my televisions don't!! my tv's only have a component cable connection!!!

btw, i'm just reading a notice i received in the mail from brighthouse. software was updated on all dvr smartboxes. says any parental control options may need to be re-set!!

lol mybad i did miss that part, i thought u ment the cable boxes.....thanks on the update thought, but i dont use parental :) lol......well im out....peace

Thats ok, they snuck in ANOTHER update last night as well. Supposed to be finalized tonight as well.

Seems they only did a "band" of numbers. I did not get any information on this update they sneaked in!

Thats ok, they snuck in ANOTHER update last night as well. Supposed to be finalized tonight as well.

Seems they only did a "band" of numbers. I did not get any information on this update they sneaked in!

yea....so is thats why after 12 am, the cable boxes always do a click once in a while? as if the harddriver turned off then go right on.thought my programming works normal when it does it....all boxes does the same thing. i always wondered why it does that lol......

When get I get FIOS TV in Pleasantville, NY?

Ramblas Poker are giving a chance to play in Helsinki!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts