Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I'm toying with a PC that I'd like to eventually get to display HD FTA on my TV. I plan on picking up a USB DVB box as a tuner (not a factor at this point!).

The PC is a Shuttle SK41G barebones PC
It has an Athlon 1800+, 256M RAM, 80 Gig hard drive.

I added an AGP video card that had DVI out. It's a cheap S3 Savage4 chipset card.

I wasn't terribly suprised when I first hooked it up and I got nothing but a black screen once the PC booted past the DOS / Windows loader screens.

I connected a monitor and set the display adaptor to the lowest resolution that it would allow me to - 800x600. Doing this got me to a point that I can boot to the Windows desktop.

The results so far have been less than impressive. All of the verticle lines on the display are wavy and the top and bottom of the screen are cropped off. The screen does not pan around.

Is this a symptom of a crappy video card, or a TV that doesnt like acting as a computer monitor? I have an ATI 9800 Pro that I could try in the box and see if it does any better.

I just don't want to chase my tail trying to make this work if my TV is the culprit.

The TV is an RCA HD50LPW42 (50" DLP).

I actually had the opposite problem. I had an open component connection on my 57inch RPTV. So I picked up the Nvidia 6600 with 128mb DDR3 with component outs. I hooked up the components and couldn't get 720p or 1080i output...I played with the settings for bit then I grabbed the DVI-HDMI cable off of the DishNet 811 and plugged it in the card. Boom, a beautiful 720p desktop a few seconds later. The card even recognizes the name of the TV.

Not sure what to do to help you... I'd try a different card if you can borrow one or have a gamer friend with a decent DVI out card bring his PC over.

I have the ATI 9800 Pro in my desktop and some flavor of a later model ATI card (X600?) in my server. I'll give 'em all a shot.

That 720p dektop might be the problem I'm having. My TV won't accept 720P on the component / DVI inputs :(.

Shawn

Last edited:
With the 9800 Pro in my workstation I was able to get the TV to display a 720x480 desktop. This was the only resolution that the card would let me select :(.

The good news is that the picture looked VERY nice this time around.

I'm going to try the file server on the TV next to see if I can get 1280x720 or even 1920x1080 :).

The TV won't accept an external 720p input so I suspect that 1280x720 might not fly.

<edit>
Progress! I was able to look at the display properties and see that it will accept 1920x1080 if I can find myself a card that'll display it.
</edit>

Shawn

Last edited:
I got it :cool:

It displays 1280x720 and 1920x1080 just fine. The edges are just a tad off of the screen but it's livable. I had to un-check the 'hide display options that aren't supported' and then I got the option for these resolutions.

Now I just need to get around to picking up a DVB tuner :).

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
I got it :cool:
It displays 1280x720 and 1920x1080 just fine. The edges are just a tad off of the screen but it's livable. I had to un-check the 'hide display options that aren't supported' and then I got the option for these resolutions.
Now I just need to get around to picking up a DVB tuner :).
Shawn

Look around for some overscan setups. Or there is a very cool utility that has a bit of a learning curve but works great:

http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm

Next thing on your list is the soundcard with SPDIF out, right? ;) This is the one I have my eyes on... I have th DolbyDigital EX one right now.

http://www.bluegears.com/xplosion.html

Then next on your list is this?? ;)

http://www.gyration.com/en-US/ProductDetail.html?modelnum=GC1005M&accshow=3

I'll check out the OS stuff.

The SK41G has integrated audio with a SPIDF out :). I'm sure that it isn't as nice as what you are looking at though. If I upgrade it'll probably be one of the extigy cards (something external).

I actually have the Remote wonder from my HDWonder card that I'll probably use. I NEVER use it on the PC that has the HD wonder, and it's a UHF remote. If it doesn't work out I'll get something like that ;). I think I'll get one of them Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse kits too.

Shawn

I've got an addiction worse then a FTA one... It's called the FTA/HDTV/HTPC all rolled in one addiction! ;)
The HTPC looks nuts on the back.
3 USB IR remote sensors
1-wireless keyboard/mouse USB receiver,
FTA card(2 F connectors)
Sound card with headphone style plugs, and digital optical and coaxial connections NVIDIA card with VGA, DVI, and component/svideo breakout box
MyHD-130 card (cable QAM and OTA HD DVR card)with two F connectors, component breakout box with composite and svideo in.
Along with 3 HD's stuffed inside to make 800gig of storage.
And last but not least....the serial cable tied to the Fortec for easy channel management.
I'll have to post a few pics of the setup in action.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Thank You Iceberg

newbie also

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)