Dual Tuner DVR Commands - TV1 or TV2?

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems that record or timers commands could be made simpler. The single/dual mode settings plus the Record Plus settings don't seem to provide the options I desire. I know what I WANT my DVR to do, but it seems I must "go around the world" for it to work. Both my TV1 and TV2 are used an equal amount -- wife and I share few TV interests. DISH documentation suggests that I enable dual mode and disable TV1 or TV2 under Record Plus, given my households viewing scenario. I have many DVR timer events and I don't want them to affect my wife's Live TV viewing nor mine. Therefore, I go to TV1 and create a set of timers and do the same at TV2. I have many events set to record at the same time on different channels. So, I juggle this while trying to avoid TV1 and TV2's Live viewing time. To make this simpler, why can't DISH DVRs offer the same choice--all of the time--as when one hits the record button while watching live TV, which is selecting TV1 or TV2? Why can't this same choice be given when I advance through the program guide and press SELECT on a future program? This would enable easy timer setup from just ONE TV, instead running between TV1 and TV2. THEN, if I encounter a conflict (where both TVs are recording at a particular time) I will see the "resolve" screen, which I don't really understand. The options on this screen don't really seem to provide a resolution.

Thanks for hearing me ask AND vent.

Eric

I think the simplest solution for you would be to get another Dual DVR for your wifes TV..
You only have 2 tuners to record from, and when you are watching 2 tuners, you will have to sacrafice what you are watching for what you are recording..
Think of it in VCR terms.. You can't record to the VCR and watch a tape at the same time..
Your looking for a single box solution that doesn't exhist.

I hate live TV. Much rather let TV1 and TV2 record while I am watching something from the DVR even if I am just time shifting. Can you do this or do you and your wife have to watch it live? A second 722 sounds like it might be a good plan for you though.

I'm brand new to Dish, and so far, this is part of my chief problem with it. I had my wife DVR a football game yesterday, and got home before the end. Well, then, I wanted to catch the end of another big game. Couldn't, as with Comcast, change to a different channel, while taping, without ending the recording. That will take some getting used to, for sure. I understand more, at least, after reading this thread, though. This is a HD DVR, and it goes to my wife's TV for the second TV. So, do I need to switch somehow to single TV, then I can change channels?

Maybe even more importantly, is some Sundays. That is the time I will utilize my PIP. What I'm reading on the channel cards they gave me is that PIP can only be done if you also switch the Single TV. My wife will love that, on Sundays. Do I understand this correctly, that her TV will then have no picture? Or, will it be hers will be on one of the same channels I'm watching.

This is the major drawback, for me. I just wish I knew how this would work, before I decided how I wanted my Dish setup run. Matter of fact, before I decided I even wanted Dish. They don't exactly offer these kind of details up front.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems that record or timers commands could be made simpler. The single/dual mode settings plus the Record Plus settings don't seem to provide the options I desire. I know what I WANT my DVR to do, but it seems I must "go around the world" for it to work. Both my TV1 and TV2 are used an equal amount -- wife and I share few TV interests. DISH documentation suggests that I enable dual mode and disable TV1 or TV2 under Record Plus, given my households viewing scenario. I have many DVR timer events and I don't want them to affect my wife's Live TV viewing nor mine. Therefore, I go to TV1 and create a set of timers and do the same at TV2. I have many events set to record at the same time on different channels. So, I juggle this while trying to avoid TV1 and TV2's Live viewing time. To make this simpler, why can't DISH DVRs offer the same choice--all of the time--as when one hits the record button while watching live TV, which is selecting TV1 or TV2? Why can't this same choice be given when I advance through the program guide and press SELECT on a future program? This would enable easy timer setup from just ONE TV, instead running between TV1 and TV2. THEN, if I encounter a conflict (where both TVs are recording at a particular time) I will see the "resolve" screen, which I don't really understand. The options on this screen don't really seem to provide a resolution.

Thanks for hearing me ask AND vent.

Eric

I have the 722 and although it has its quirks it is by far the best DVR I've ever had. It's a workhorse with tons of HD space and always does what I want it to. You probably will need a 2nd unit as you use TV 2 so much.

I'm brand new to Dish, and so far, this is part of my chief problem with it. I had my wife DVR a football game yesterday, and got home before the end. Well, then, I wanted to catch the end of another big game. Couldn't, as with Comcast, change to a different channel, while taping, without ending the recording. That will take some getting used to, for sure. I understand more, at least, after reading this thread, though. This is a HD DVR, and it goes to my wife's TV for the second TV. So, do I need to switch somehow to single TV, then I can change channels?

Maybe even more importantly, is some Sundays. That is the time I will utilize my PIP. What I'm reading on the channel cards they gave me is that PIP can only be done if you also switch the Single TV. My wife will love that, on Sundays. Do I understand this correctly, that her TV will then have no picture? Or, will it be hers will be on one of the same channels I'm watching.

This is the major drawback, for me. I just wish I knew how this would work, before I decided how I wanted my Dish setup run. Matter of fact, before I decided I even wanted Dish. They don't exactly offer these kind of details up front.

Yes you understand correctly. In Single mode she will see what you see.
1 button on the front panel (model depending I guess) will change from single to dual. I share mine with my daughter and do this frequently when there are several hockey games or game/show that I don't want to miss.
Say Heroes is recording and hockey starts 30 minutes in, I hit the button for single mode, swap, let heroes finish recording while I watch the game (forcing my daughter to as well) and then put it back in dual when the recording has finished.
I'm not familiar with Comcast, but for all intensive purposes it's just like having a VCR. You couldn't change the channel when you were taping a movie to the VCR until it was finished.
I am curious about how Comcast let you keep recording when you changed the channel. Dual tuner with single mode out only??

Yes you understand correctly. In Single mode she will see what you see.
1 button on the front panel (model depending I guess) will change from single to dual. I share mine with my daughter and do this frequently when there are several hockey games or game/show that I don't want to miss.
Say Heroes is recording and hockey starts 30 minutes in, I hit the button for single mode, swap, let heroes finish recording while I watch the game (forcing my daughter to as well) and then put it back in dual when the recording has finished.
I'm not familiar with Comcast, but for all intensive purposes it's just like having a VCR. You couldn't change the channel when you were taping a movie to the VCR until it was finished.
I am curious about how Comcast let you keep recording when you changed the channel. Dual tuner with single mode out only??

It was a dual tuner DVR setup, of some sort. I didn't notice until Dish was removing the Comcast box, there is a metal box in the back that says Dual DVR. That must be it.

As far as VCR days, I NEVER had a setup like that. I ALWAYS had capability to tape one channel, and watch another. So, this resriction would be like the dark ages, for me.

It's good the wife at least gets some picture, then. She already has heard the bad news, and knows she can go elsewhere in the house on sports days.;)

Yes so basically you have the same setup as the comcast box with the dish box.. BUT you now have dual out as well, running two tv's.
You can either make her live with watching your game when you need both tuners, or you could get a second box for her TV, DVR or not depending on your needs. This would also give you back both tuners all the time, and she wouldn't have to suffer.. :D

Symphonic TV code..

NEwbie HELP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts