DTV-Slingbox

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lefatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Selbyville DE
Has anyone had any experience hooking up Slingbox to a DTV receiver. I hooked it up the way I read the manual and I get the searching for signal message. Any help would be appreciated.

You didn't unhook anything (I'm thinking of the satellite input cable) from your DIRECTV receiver, did you?

If you can see the searching for signal message through the Slingbox, the Slingbox is working.

You are getting the searching for signal that D* shows through the sling box?
OR are you getting a weak signal message from the sling box itself?

What cables do you have hooked up, and in what slots?

DTV line into coax in on Slingbox. Coax out to Slingbox in on DTV receiver. Spaghetti cable for audio and video. I also have the HDMI hooked from receiver to TV.

You need to restore your DIRECTV receiver to the way it was before you started. The Slingbox cannot tune DIRECTV satellite signals nor can it pass them on to the DIRECTV receiver.

The Slingbox goes entirely "downstream" from the DIRECTV receiver and typically does not involve any cables with F connectors unless being used with "an antenna or some cable TV systems".

It would be useful to know what model DIRECTV receiver and what model Slingbox we're talking about.

Also, you need to make connections for only one of the inputs, not all four (in the case of a Slingbox Pro). The typical HD connection should involve only five cables with RCA connectors on both ends.

I have an H21-200 re4ceiver and the Slingbox PRO-HD Model SB300-100.When you say restore receiver, do you mean outside satellite line into receiver as it was without the slingbox involved. I get the same reception I always got that way. I don't understand what would go on the coax in input or output if I do that. Sorry to be such an idiot, but I would really like to get this working for my brother who is in th ehospital and will probably be going to a nursing home.

D* Signals are encrypted. So the wires from your dish need to go to your D* receiver for the signal to be viewable.

Use the wires you would normally put to your TV and connect those to the sling box.

DTV line into coax in on Slingbox. Coax out to Slingbox in on DTV receiver. Spaghetti cable for audio and video. I also have the HDMI hooked from receiver to TV.

There is your problem. Put your DTV line back to your D* receiver. Then connect one of the outputs on your D* box to an input slot on the Slingbox.

Red and White.No HDMI port on the Slingbox.

I'm trying to remember because my Slingbox went bad,for video,you use component cables from you DIRECTV box to the cable in section of the slingbo:mad:which you have already done). Now,you should have come to the audio set up when you were setting up your slingbox. If you have coaxial digital audio cable,you can attach one end of the cable to your D* box & the other end to the cable in section of the slingbox. Now.....if you go this route,you tell the slingbox that you are using digital audio(you CAN ONLY do this with coaxial DIGITAL audio cable,not to be confused with the coaxial cable you were trying to run through your slingbox earlier). If you are using the red & white cables,you tell the slingbox you are using analog(or whatever the opposite of "digital audio" is on the menu) audio. The sound should come up in the little window during the set up & then you can proceed on through the rest of the set up.

Did you hook to the correct pair of audio inputs on the Slingbox? There are two sets and I'm betting you picked the wrong set.

You should be connecting to the inputs that are dead center on the back of the Slingbox. You can't just plug everything in willy-nilly as the Slingbox Pro is designed to accommodate three input different devices.

The Slingbox website features all sorts of detailed diagrams and advice for those who have incinerated their manuals.

Slingbox.com - Connections

make sure that the outputs for red and white match the outputs for video on the D* receiver, and that it also matches where you have the video hooked in on the inputs on the slingbox. Looks like that is your only problem.

I have an HR20 hooked up to a Slingbox PRO-HD and it works great. Just use the component cables and the Red/White audio cables and you're basically set.

screenshot20110221at634.png

Cheers,
Kermee

Did you hook to the correct pair of audio inputs on the Slingbox? There are two sets and I'm betting you picked the wrong set.

You should be connecting to the inputs that are dead center on the back of the Slingbox. You can't just plug everything in willy-nilly as the Slingbox Pro is designed to accommodate three input different devices.

The Slingbox website features all sorts of detailed diagrams and advice for those who have incinerated their manuals.

Thank you and all the others that offered their assistance. That did it. Unfortunately, I found out this afternoon that my brother probably has lung cancer and will have some major surgeries tomorrow. If he pulls through, he'll be a pretty happy camper to have access to Speed for all his NASCAR and Tru and Discovery for his other shows. Thank you all again.

My brother made it through the surgery and is resting well according to the nurse. I just got back from the hospital and I have to tell you that Slingbox is all it says it is. He will be ecstatic when he finds out he can watch everything he liked to watch at home. Thanks to all of you for the kind words.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Whole Home DVR limit

DIRECTV Offer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)