Dreambox Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
Is the Dreambox primarily a glorified b**** bird, or does it have a legitimate purpose? I like to tinker with Linux-based applications, and I know that this receiver is controlled by Linux. But I don't condone hacking. I even hate using the word in this forum. If I have overstepped the boundaries of the forum., please close the thread. :)
Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, you would be correct.

There are many receivers that have LEGAL factory software in it (Pansat, Fortec)...but most get the reputation because they seem to always have illegal software in them. This is one of them, along with the other one you posted.

I'll leave the thread open, but if it does go down the wrong road, it will be closed :)

Thanks. I suppose an advantage to a receiver like this is the fact that a hard drive can be added. I would think that a person with the right technical skills could record directly to this hard drive and preserve the digital quality recording. Then again, I could probably do the same with my DVD recorder.

Are there other legal receivers that have a built-in hard drive?

rjc3895 said:
Are there other legal receivers that have a built-in hard drive?
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=40447

And there are a few others, all apparently expensive so far. It might be cheaper to build a dedicated PC with a FTA card.

And there are a few others, all apparently expensive so far. It might be cheaper to build a dedicated PC with a FTA card.

Good point. I want to upgrade my PC as well. Too many gadgets. Not enough cash :)

Iceberg, I would disagree. Dreambox is a great unit which is not intended to be hacked. You could say the same about pansats.

any box can be set up for legal or illegal activities...but most (I'm not saying all), but most Dremaboxes and any bird (Silver, Black, Blue, whatever) more often than not are set up for illegal.
Are there any legal ones out there? probably

That is how the FTA area came to how it is. They were goingto ban any posts using Pansat, due to their reputation out there. There are people who have a legit one (I being one of them), so we started allowing them after some conversations with staff.

Again, as long as this thread hasn't gone downhill, it will stay open. But if something pops up about hacking, the post will be closed :)

No complaints here. As far as I'm concerned, my orginial question has been answered. So this post can be closed at any time. If I were to ever buy one of these, I would certainly not do it via EBay unless I knew that the seller was 100% legit and sold only legal products. I wonder if PSB could recommend a good reputable dealer :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

C-Band questions

New V-BOX DisEqC 1.2 Antenna Positioner?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)