Dream DVR and HD setup

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
I am a long time Dish customer but I am currently disappointed with my service. Here is what I wish for and what would make me happy:
- I want one DVR for my whole house that would allow me to watch recordings on any TV in the house. I don't want multiple DVRs and I don't want to mess with external hard drives. I want it to be a clean and easy process.
- I want the one DVR to have a great big fat hard drive that can store hundreds of hours of HD programming. Let's be real, hard drives are cheap.
- I want HD on every TV in the house even if I have 6 or more TV's. You can't even buy an non-HD TV anymore so why are we still wasting time with non-HD anything.
- I want to be able to Pause & remind live TV on all TV's in the house.

Is this too much to ask? I don't care if it costs $20-$40 a month more, this is just what I want.

Well if I was your tech I could do it for you.It's quite easy to mirror every tv in your house to the dvr.Then you could have a whole house dvr that you could control with the tv2 remote.

For hd on every tv with one dvr.That would take very expensive hdmi over coax modulation.

Sounds expensive,I set up a 722 to viewed
In every room for no extra charge to anyone.Controlling it anywhere in the house with only the tv2 remote.Without forking out a bijillion dollars to direct

All you need is Directv. Put an hr24 with mrv/whole home in each room and you get tons of recoding options, pause and rewind in every room and access to all your recordings from any tv in the house. Might be more money upfront, but should cost less monthly than multiple Dish dvrs.

thisis the answer you are looking for,
heck put multiple dvrs in and its even better since you dont have a dvr fee for each box, just a reciver fee of $5 a month
yes its more up front, but well worth it.
add an external hd of your choosing for size. oh and they dont charge you to turn on the port

Well if I was your tech I could do it for you.It's quite easy to mirror every tv in your house to the dvr.Then you could have a whole house dvr that you could control with the tv2 remote.

Sounds expensive,I set up a 722 to viewed
In every room for no extra charge to anyone.Controlling it anywhere in the house with only the tv2 remote.Without forking out a bijillion dollars to direct

The key is HD at all the alternate locations. This only gives SD at the second locations. I'm sending TV2 from a 722k and 622 to other HD sets via channel modulation, but the quality is as you would expect- crappy. This is where D* shines in capability/flexibility.

My setup is tv1 component out all other tv's through hdmi over cat 5 using an hdmi splitter to my bedroom,garage and family room all controlled through tv 2 remote.

Hd whole home dvr without paying direct a bijillon dollars

All you need is Directv. Put an hr24 with mrv/whole home in each room and you get tons of recoding options, pause and rewind in every room and access to all your recordings from any tv in the house. Might be more money upfront, but should cost less monthly than multiple Dish dvrs.
DIRECTV answers only one of the questions (single DVR). The rest they don't address in any meaningful way.

At this time, there is no practical solution to this ideal. You can get close, but the simplicity requirement would not be met and the cost would be much higher than specified.

DRM makes the whole concept impractical.

DIRECTV answers only one of the questions (single DVR). The rest they don't address in any meaningful way.

Well 5 sat tuners in one box and the ability to watch at any TV is not quite meeting his 6+ TV requirement, but it will probably cover most homes with less than 5 TVs in use at once.

Who really galavants room to room while watching a movie anyway.

It is more of an issue if you for example record a movie on the living room DVR with Dish and then want to watch it in the bedroom. Right now the only real Dish option is to send it to an USB external drive and carry it up to the bedroom DVR. Of course there is the TV2 standard definition solution, but I do not watch SD any more, so it is not an option for me.

Read my above post solution to having a whole home dvr with some Cat5 a hdmi splitter and some hdmi to cat 5 modulators
All parts about 100$

old dish network turbo hd satellite

New remotes for my 622?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts