Dream DVR and HD setup

what does it not address?
It doesn't address the other four conditions:

o One DVR for the entire home (DIRECTV HD DVR only feeds one TV)
o Serves six or more TVs with live trick play video (this requires at least three HD DVRs and what isn't connected to a HD DVR has to be connected to a receiver [edt: and what you're watching on a HD receiver must be recording])
o No external hard drives (500GB isn't a lot these days unless you're a cable subscriber)
o Gobs of storage (this isn't currently possible without some sort of dedicated external RAID array)

Last edited:
C'mon, people! Read all of the conditions carefully. Some of them are clearly conflicting, but they must all be met or clearly taken exception to.

I can see one or two exceptions, but I can't see recommending something that meets fewer than half the requirements.

The only answer is that there isn't anything in the DBS world that would meet more than a couple of the conditions. You might be able to pull it off with a monster media server with card cage full of QAM tuners connected to a cable television service but you would still need TVs capable of acting as a independent media players.

Well 5 sat tuners in one box and the ability to watch at any TV is not quite meeting his 6+ TV requirement, but it will probably cover most homes with less than 5 TVs in use at once.
Assuming that you're talking about the officially unannounced HMC30, last I read, it will only support four TVs total with up to 200 hours of HD programming. It represents a scaled down model of what the OP is looking for but requires extra boxes at each TV.

It doesn't address the other four conditions:

o One DVR for the entire home (DIRECTV HD DVR only feeds one TV)
o Serves six or more TVs with live trick play video (this requires at least three HD DVRs and what isn't connected to a HD DVR has to be connected to a receiver [edt: and what you're watching on a HD receiver must be recording])
o No external hard drives (500GB isn't a lot these days unless you're a cable subscriber)
o Gobs of storage (this isn't currently possible without some sort of dedicated external RAID array)

he said 1 dvr, not 1 box
a mrv would satisfy everything exept the large hd, an dpausing live tv
and this could be done with an external, but thats not an option
but then you could put a dvr at each tv if you like, and share it all
pooling your hd space.

so its about half way there

I curently have three dtv hddvrs with mrv. I can record up to 6 shows at once and can watch them from any room in the hoiuse. I also have a 722 with off air ant in the same room as one of my hr23s feeding hd to my main tv and my sons room from tv1 and sd to tvs in my garage and on my pool deck from tv2

This violates a condition that wasn't expressed: the ability to schedule all recordings from any TV.

thats why i said halfway there. a software update should enable all dvrs to share schedules and record on one that is not in use

but he never said how many feeds he needed to record.

direct allows 2, and dish is up to 4( 2 sat, 2 ota) with the right reciver iirc

So My mom has fios in living room she she records what she wants to watch on dvr. she can later watch that same hd program she recorded on any hd fios boxes in the house. Can Dish do this i dont mind having a receiver on every tv but i want to watch what i recorded in hd in living room and watch it in HD in bedroom?

So My mom has fios in living room she she records what she wants to watch on dvr. she can later watch that same hd program she recorded on any hd fios boxes in the house. Can Dish do this i dont mind having a receiver on every tv but i want to watch what i recorded in hd in living room and watch it in HD in bedroom?

dont think dish can, unless it can with sling, but directv can via mrv

My dream setup was something like the Windows Media Center adapters that D* and E* were working on at one point. The adapter would be attached to a headless server similar to HP's MediaSmart server hardware and you interacted with it using Media Center Extender boxes. PC running WMC software could also tie into it. That way, all your recorded programming would be in one place that you could expand with new HDDs as needed. It would be able to export to a physical DVD too using an attached DVD burner. The adapter would need enough tuners to satisfy most diehard viewers needs - 3 OTA and 3 satellite at least. And of course, you could pause and resume shows from room to room AND in HD (most importantly.) Sigh... I can only dream.

old dish network turbo hd satellite

New remotes for my 622?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts