DPP Twin LNBF + 721

Bailx

Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
I have just bought a DishPro Plus Twin LNBF & the required seperator to allow my 721 unit to work using only one coax cable. However I have just read that:

The DISH 721 does not have support for the DP Plus Twin at this time. The 721 software will be upgraded later to add this support
DP Plus dual-tuner receivers require a software download to complete the installation. A special download procedure is included in the user guide.

I am wondering if perhaps I did this "special procedure" that maybe by now the 721 software has been updated. As I am not an expert in Dish Network Equipment, nor do I know how old that information listed above is, I do not know where to go from here. If someone knows how to perform this procedure, please post it for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Any information reguarding any other aspect of my setup would also be appreciated. :cool:

actually it looks like.....it is finally working.....

i unplugged the 2nd receiver (300 series) and the dual-lnb now works fine.

so my new question is...... is it possible to run a dual tuner (721) and a single tuner unit from the dpp twin, or is that only possible with an extra physical dish attached to the LNB-in on the dpp twin ?

again.. any help appreciated

does that mean the software for the 721 has already been updated to

support the dpp twin?

when entering point dish menu i get this:

Error 605: no satellites are in the switch matrix. please

check the antenna and switch connections.

running a check switch shows the switch as "Generic_41". also

there are no entries in the above satellite input graphs (where

normally you'd see 2 on each input with the old LNB).

As it is now.... even with nothing showing up the 721 receives 119*

channels, but not 110*

The 310 unit receives both and is working normally. it does not

seem to make a difference if the 310 is hooked up or not, the 721

still seems to have difficulty with this LNBF.

Where do I go from here? I'm about ready to re-install the old LNB

and go back to running a 2nd coax across the room (which is not

what i want to do)

thanks for any help anyone can offer me.

You've made no mention of your software version. If the box has been online, it should be current, but let's make sure. Aside: Does the 721 have a "block update" feature?

Anyway, things to try: Reset the switch matrix and LNB by disconnecting ALL receivers. Run Check Switch on the 721. Pull power. Run Check Switch AGAIN. Hook sat feeds back up - make sure 721 is on DPP Twin Port #1 (just because). Run Check Switch and cross fingers.

P.S. What's your bit with hard linefeeds and double-spacing?

SimpleSimon said:
You've made no mention of your software version. If the box has been online, it should be current, but let's make sure. Aside: Does the 721 have a "block update" feature?

Anyway, things to try: Reset the switch matrix and LNB by disconnecting ALL receivers. Run Check Switch on the 721. Pull power. Run Check Switch AGAIN. Hook sat feeds back up - make sure 721 is on DPP Twin Port #1 (just because). Run Check Switch and cross fingers.

P.S. What's your bit with hard linefeeds and double-spacing?

Software Version: L174HABD-N

you'll have to forgive me, i am new to dish network (we've had directv). Also this 721 was just purchased to replace one of our old receivers.... so i'm pretty unfamilier with it as well.

Block Update Feature: ? no idea... i see in the menu only software upgrade, and it says there is no upgrade available.

I made sure it was on port #1, and did all the things you mentioned.... i came across something odd here....

With both tuners plugged in (or unplugging one and testing the other)... I kept getting the same result:

Tuner 1: 119* locked 110" -> not locked wrong sat -> echostar 119... signal strength 0

Tuner 2: 119* locked 110* locked

perhaps there is something wrong with the 721 itself.... however i do not remember any such problem with the old LNB...

What's your bit with hard linefeeds and double-spacing: heh you're way beyond me here man...does not compute :p

anyways thanks for helping me out here.... i'm going to keep trying things....
:smug

Since the DPP Twin has just become available, I don't think that the 721 software has been upgraded to work with it yet. The last upgrade for the 721 was Nov 3 2004.

if that is the case..... any ideas as to when they will update it? (perhaps judging on dish networks past performance in such matters)

I am (was?) under the (mistaken?) impression that the 721 already had DPPlus support - but maybe that's only for the DPP44 switch? Everything else you've said so far sure seems right. And now I'm just typing a little bit more to make this paragraph a good example of single sapced typing without hard line feeds in it. :)

On the other hand, I've now

started typing using hard line

feeds, and double spacing.

Many folks consider this to

be hard to read.

Extra blank lines between paragraphs are considered good form, though. ;)

:p

yeah i noticed that.... i wrote it offline in notepad and cut n' pasted it...... didn't feel like going back and fixing it..

i have a suspicion that one of the coax cables might be damaged or something (they are buried underground... no way of checking) so i ordered 1000ft of fresh cable and i'm going to run some directly from the dish to my 721 to make absolutely sure it's not the cables.....

i'll post back with results.....

Nope, replacing the cable is not going to make any difference. As of right now, the 721 does not support the DPP Twin LNB.

I have a 721 with the most current software version connected to a DPP Twin and DP dual LNB for the second DISH. I have the exact same results.

Switch test shows no satellites in the switch matrix, Reception Verfied, with a switch type of Gereric_41. It shows Ports 1|2|3|4|5 all with blank (not X's) cells under each one.

Signal strength on 119 is 94/100, and on 110 is 70/100 (93/100 on Tuner 2). It will not lock on to 148 at all.

When entering or exiting the Point Dish screen, the following message pops up two times:

ERROR 605
No satellites are in the switch matrix. Please check the antenna and switch connections. OK

The program guide data will not update.

Hurry up DISH. Fix the software.

I have the same exact issue. Has anyone found out anymore information? Should it be working?

I'm able to watch and record on both tuners after going through the check switch a couple of times. However, I'm missing channels, such as locals, and I can't even lock into sat 61.5, which I hooked up to the input on the DPP.

FYI, I have a PVR 501 on the second output from the DPP and it gets all the channels, even from 61.5.

The tech release for the DPP Twin says that the 721 will require a software upgrade to work with it. No upgrade has yet to some out, so the 721 is SOL with the DPP Twin. The 721 does support a DPP-44 though, as a previous release added support.

The 721 does not yet support the DPP Twin LNB and seperator.

I am starting to think that we may never see a software release which addresses this problem.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The 721 does not yet support the DPP Twin LNB and seperator.

I am starting to think that we may never see a software release which addresses this problem.

Well that stinks.

Does anyone happen to have any inside contacts at Dish to find out if and when a software release for the 721 may come? I'm stuck in limbo right now. Do I buy the DPP 44 or wait for the software upgrade?

Well, I just orderd a DPP44 & power inserter off ebay for $85, including shipping. I guess we'll see in a couple of days if that works for me.

It appears that the SW44 is working. I ran the 61.5 satellite to the SW44 rather into the DPP Twin.

I did a check switch on my 501 and it worked perfectly the first time, although, this worked even in my previous configuration.

The 721, however, was still a pain in my a$$. I hooked it up and ran the check switch. It found the 61.5, but it had X's in the 110 & 119 boxes. I went to program guide was able to get some of the channels, not all of them.

So I reset the receiver back to factory defaults. I then ran check switch. I still get the red X's in the 110 and 119 boxes, however, I now get all the channels on both tuners using 1 cable....yippee!!!!

Hope this helps someone out there.

airwar said:
It appears that the SW44 is working. I ran the 61.5 satellite to the SW44 rather into the DPP Twin.

I did a check switch on my 501 and it worked perfectly the first time, although, this worked even in my previous configuration.

The 721, however, was still a pain in my a$$. I hooked it up and ran the check switch. It found the 61.5, but it had X's in the 110 & 119 boxes. I went to program guide was able to get some of the channels, not all of them.

So I reset the receiver back to factory defaults. I then ran check switch. I still get the red X's in the 110 and 119 boxes, however, I now get all the channels on both tuners using 1 cable....yippee!!!!

Hope this helps someone out there.
Huh WHAT?

You're using an old SW44 with a DPPlus Twin? NO WAY!

All I can think of is you've typo'd the heck out of your post.

Maybe you can tell us EXACTLY what you've got hooked to what?

SimpleSimon said:
Huh WHAT?

You're using an old SW44 with a DPPlus Twin? NO WAY!

All I can think of is you've typo'd the heck out of your post.

Maybe you can tell us EXACTLY what you've got hooked to what?

I'm sorry. You are right.

It is not the SW44 but the DPP44. Maybe that will make a little more sense.

Dish Receiver 322

Now I am envious-Dish! I want ESPN Deportes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)