does the new HD GUI remove the 50 'show' limit

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnner1999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
earth
One of my biggest issues with the current D* DVR is that you can not setup more than 50 timers... I don't think E* has this problem do they? I hope the new HD overlay addressed this. Or is the upgrade purely eye candy?

Can't say what DISH has, but NO the new gui does NOT address this issue as it's not really a GUIDE thing ...
However, it's been reported that the HR34 does increase the timers considerably.

thanks for the quick info - before spending more money with DirecTV, I may wait to see pricing from E* on the Hooper system...

Sorry but number of timers and how pretty (speaking of eye-candy) the Hopper system is from DISH??? Its still the same programming and other programming related issues. THAT is what I would be concerned with FIRST.

thanks for the quick info - before spending more money with DirecTV, I may wait to see pricing from E* on the Hooper system...

you can only record 3 things at once.
the 6 only comes into play during prime time for local channels

charper1 said:
Sorry but number of timers and how pretty (speaking of eye-candy) the Hopper system is from DISH???

Actually as far as "eye candy" goes I prefer the DirecTV HD GUI over the Hopper/922 style GUI. I find the new font DirecTV uses easier to read. Also I think that the look of the HR34/HR24 is much, for lack of a better word, "higher end" than the Hopper/Joey, with their blue lights and smooth piano black face.

AFAIK, the HD Gui still has 50 timers on the older models. The HR34 can do 100 timers.

I never really get over about 35 timers, but as soon as a show goes off for a stretch I delete the timer until its next season, I dont like them being there... "No wire hangers!!!"

Dish has 96 timers and hr34 has 100. I wished they would give us more timers though. Maybe bump to 125 4 tvs and 1 dvr recording 5 channels at once doesn't take long to hit 100 series timers. We have already hit the 100 at our house and there are some new shows coming on. So now we have to figure out what shows are off season and delete the series and hopefully catch it when it comes back on. That was one nice thing on the direct tivo you could set as many and you wanted. At least the manual recordings do not count against your timer limit like the dish receivers.

This limitation on my R22 and HR22 is annoying. I know many people ask, "Why do you need that many?". Well I usually record shows on TNT(Razzolli & Isles, Closer) along with a number of USA and Food networks shows. When many of them run 12-13 episodes and then wait about 6 months for new ones its nice to have. If the HR34 does have an increased number then I would considering getting one.

Actually as far as "eye candy" goes I prefer the DirecTV HD GUI over the Hopper/922 style GUI. I find the new font DirecTV uses easier to read. Also I think that the look of the HR34/HR24 is much, for lack of a better word, "higher end" than the Hopper/Joey, with their blue lights and smooth piano black face.

That was my point; who cares about any "eye-candy" the programming is 99% of the deal and that's what I would be worried versus a GUI and thus I am here with DirecTV

That was my point; who cares about any "eye-candy" the programming is 99% of the deal and that's what I would be worried versus a GUI and thus I am here with DirecTV

Same here. The new HD guide is imo, a considerable improvement over the old guide but I've stayed with D* for the overall programming choices vs the other major players.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Help me better my current setup.

Can't record or watch recordings..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)