Do I have a chance?

tribalmunky

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 19, 2005
Santa Ana, California
Well my discount that kept me with Adelphia (barely) is pretty much over, so they're gonna tack on another 20 bucks plus another 6% rate increase come February. So paying alot of money for a substandard picture is pretty much out, so know I want to come back to DBS after a long hiatus (I had Dish Network when it first debuted thanks to my Dad realizing the hints I was tossing him. My roomate had DirecTV when I came out to Orange County, CA).

Only problem is, I may not be able to get a service because of the duplex I live in. The landlords are cool with me having the service, on the condition the dish is not installed on the main roof itself, only the overhang where a tree is in the way on the side and a two story apartment complex in front and could very much pose a problem. The other condition is, no exterior wall drilling, eventhough there is an existing cable from the previous tenant. What they want is the line to go into the attic through a vent which is how next duplex is setup, but I have a tree on my side. I posted some pictures to help visualize my dilemma.

The first pic is the overhang the 'lords want showing the tree, the tree is currently as tall as the tip top of the roof as far as I can tell since I don't have a ladder.

The second pic shows the solution my landlords want to do with the cable, basically run it in that attic vent on the side. Notice the "professional" wiring done by an Adelphia installer. Also shows part of the apartment complex.

The third pic shows the apartment complex complete with a DirecTV dish installed. This complex is the 2nd obstacle I have to contend with.

The last pic shows the duplex, I live on the left side of it. The next duplex you can see another DirecTV dish installed on the overhang of the roof, I didn't take a picture of upclose but the cable does lead into the attic vent on the side.

What I would like to do is have the dish installed on the right side of my duplex. My neighbors would have no problem with the idea. So I'm willing to finagle the landlords to go in that direction. But if that fails, is there any other way I can get a dish installed.

Other things I should mention, I am considered a new customer with both Dish and DirecTV, and I do want HD (Siding with Dish). Though I want to get the service now and have the equipment ready, I'm still shopping for an HDTV but will come soon after I get service. Also, if this way works, it's pretty much a sure bet that I have to pay extra for the installation? I'm not screwed right? Right?

Attachments

• sat1.jpg
    sat1.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 199
  • sat2.jpg
    sat2.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 230
  • sat3.jpg
    sat3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 196
  • sat4.jpg
    sat4.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 196
Looking at the picture, the tree should not be a problem. Remember that the singal from the satellite comes from 22 degrees above where the dish appears to point. I've seen some dishes that appear to point in a neighboring house's window! :)

Be sure to get a Dish 1000 when you get your system installed. This will ensure you can get at least the current HD channels and maybe more.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!

See ya
Tony

If the landlord said the only place that you can put the dish is on the fascia at the corner right where the tree is then yes you stand a good chance of a problem. I looked at all the pics and comparing them along with the other dish's in the pictures and the location I can see that the back of the house faces south south/west. Talk to your landlord again and ask him if it would be ok to have the dish mounted further up the fascia towards the peak, this would still keep it on the side of the house and off the roof, placing the dish down at the corner will either have the tree blocking the 110 signal probably or with a breezy day you will loose 110 and 119 sporadicly but enough to cheese you off.

Van said:
If the landlord said the only place that you can put the dish is on the fascia at the corner right where the tree is then yes you stand a good chance of a problem. I looked at all the pics and comparing them along with the other dish's in the pictures and the location I can see that the back of the house faces south south/west. Talk to your landlord again and ask him if it would be ok to have the dish mounted further up the fascia towards the peak, this would still keep it on the side of the house and off the roof, placing the dish down at the corner will either have the tree blocking the 110 signal probably or with a breezy day you will loose 110 and 119 sporadicly but enough to cheese you off.

Sorry for the confusion, but it's okay for me to have it on any part of the overhang. I'm not limited to bottom corner, so if the top is ok, I'm gonna go ahead and go for it.

What happen to the Satellite Internet forum?

Horizontal or vertical? Huh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)