Dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CbandLover

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2004
I was looking at some old Primestar dishes on ebay.. are they any good for FTA? Do I need to replace the LNB that came with those dishes? If so, does a new universal fit it or does it need modified? If the Primestar lnb does work, will a single be the one I need or would a dual lnb technically run two FTA receivers? Is this a waste of time and I should just get a Winegard?
Sorry for all the questions...but you guys are the pros, and I can't wait to get into FTA. I am just looking for the least expensive option for entry level.

I don't blame you! A few members use Primestar dish for FTA, some have swapped out the LNBF and a few use the original LNBF (some have a double output H/V). There a few different Primestar dish so it will be hard to say if a new LNB will be easy to fit or not, but with any luck you will be able to get started with the LNB that comes with it. But you will have MUCH better results with a new low noise LNBF. They also come in dual models for use with two receivers. Maybe you can pick one up used as the shipping is the killer on these bigger/heavy dish. Good Luck, I think its a great idea if you do a search here for "Primestar" you will come across some other members stories and ideas for Primestar dish and LNBF.

I use a DirecPC dish myself for FTA/KU, it is very similar to the oval Primestar dish and it gives me really great signal quality in comparison to the 31" dish I use right now.

a Primestar dish should work out of the box....

PSB is right...I have a DirecPC dish too and I use that for one satellite for a couple of weak signals. Much better than the 30"

Other LNBs should work BUT the P* LNB is shaped the same as the dish to get the most out of it. I have two P* dishs and LNBs. If you have a LNB that has two outputs use the V one and get a meter to help you find the sats. Only put the V transponders in and see what you can dig up. G10 is a good one to start with. If it only has one output you are all set.

Have fun.
Ken

CbandLover said:
I was looking at some old Primestar dishes on ebay.. are they any good for FTA? Do I need to replace the LNB that came with those dishes? If so, does a new universal fit it or does it need modified? If the Primestar lnb does work, will a single be the one I need or would a dual lnb technically run two FTA receivers? Is this a waste of time and I should just get a Winegard?
Sorry for all the questions...but you guys are the pros, and I can't wait to get into FTA. I am just looking for the least expensive option for entry level.

So Ken, you are saying that if I find a Primestar dish, make sure it has only one output? Are the H/V outputs combined on some units? I would rather do what you suggested and use the lnb that comes with it if it is optimized for the dish. Is this dish the same as ones I see that have Globalsat or something like that written on it? They look the same. I would eventually end up dedicating this dish to G10 or whatever I find I like and use a 30 - 36" with a motor to scan. This can be done using a Diseqc switch if I am not mistaken.. Somebody please verify that one if you would. : ) I wish these things were easier to find on houses that someone does not use anymore, but around here, everyone has cable or mini dish, and it is very urban.

Keep you eyes open they are out there. I have one I pulled out of a dumpster and another that I found along side the road waiting for trash pickup.

I have also recently spotted two more Primestar dishes and am waiting until I see a car in the driveway to stop and ask if I can have them.

Wholeshoe

If you want a killer system, scrounge a Primestar and post a picture on the Invacom giveaway contest. You could win your choice of an LNBF or the Invacom SNF 031 which is a C-120 mount LNB and will mount on most of the Primestar feedhorns. Using the original feedhorn along with a new LNB will take advantage of the proper F/D and scaler design to match the reflector and LNB.

If you find a unit with two outputs and have either 0/12 or 22kHz switching on your receiver you will be able to automatically view both polarities.

SatelliteAV said:
If you find a unit with two outputs and have either 0/12 or 22kHz switching on your receiver you will be able to automatically view both polarities.
I found an old Primestar dish today. The LNB has two connectors. I have a Fortec Ultra, so...are you saying if I run two coax from the LNB to a 22KHz
switch and to the receiver I will get both V & H?

Iceberg said:
that'll work

Or if you have a DirecTv 3x4 multiswitch that would work too :)
Thanks! That's good to know. And I have an extra 22KHz switch just lying around. I'm gonna clean up this 29 5/8" x 39 5/8" monster and give it a go. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Satwork st3618 upgrade

I want to buy a FTA system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)