dish setup locals - help needed

fcooper

Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
Newby here. I did read quite a lot of posts but could not find the answer to my questions. I've just reactivated my dish network account, and I have a reman 4900 receiver (single connection for sat in) and single lnb dish. Dish network originally told me I could receive the basic 60 and local stations with the single lnb from the 119 sat. I was unable to get this to work. After several calls, a different tech said I needed a dual lnb dish because the locals were from the 110 sat. At least they credited my account for the cost of the locals. Now I've found a Sony SAN-18D2 dish that has two cable connectors so I assume it is dual lnb. Will this dish work with the 4900 receiver? What do I need to convert the two cable feeds into the one feed into the receiver? All help is appreciated.

I did a search on Sony San 18D2, and could only come up with paid links for service manuals, so I suspect that part/model number includes a receiver.

Sticking with Dish equipment....

The original Legacy LNBF was either a Single or a Dual. But both of these were for a single location. Single feed a single receiver, while a Dual could feed two receivers, all for the same satellite location, such as 119 degrees.

Then came the Twin, which can receive 2 different locations, such as 119 and 110.

Since Dish has already gave you bum info, maybe you are supply what city or zip code you are in, and someone here can verify where your locals really are.

There was a software upgrade for the 4900 on 4/20/2006, so you may need it.

Did you previously have a package deal, or purchased separate, that is, receiver or receiver and dish? Hopefully, you have a Dish 500 with either a Legacy Twin, or 2 Legacy Dual's.

4900 Standalone List
(1) 1.5 IR/UHF Universal remote
(1) RCA 3-Wire Cable (red, white, yellow) (8 ft)
(1) RG-59 Coaxial Cable (6 ft)
(1) RJ-11 Telephone Cable (25 ft)
(4) 1.5V AAA Battery

4900 20" DISH 500 Antenna, Legacy Twin List
(1) Legacy Twin LNBF
(4) 1.5V AAA Battery

4900 20" DISH 500 Antenna, Legacy Dual LNBFs List
(2) Legacy Dual LNBFs
(4) 1.5V AAA Battery

if you have two legacy duals and a sw21 switch you can combine one line from each dual into the sw21 switch & then run one line to the receiver. each dual should be on each side of the y bracket as one lnb will receiver 119 and the other 110.

Thanks for your replies. No, I didn't originally buy a package. I got the current equipment by removing it from a boat I bought several years ago. When I reactivated, the receiver was flakey. I bought the dish service plan, and they shipped me the reman 4900. I got the new receiver last Friday, and have had several calls with dish support trying to get the locals to work.

Regarding location, I am in zip 30043 ...northeast of metro Atlanta,Ga.

I don't have the dish 500 system. Dish support suggested I try to find a dish 500 legacy dish.

Shop ebay for a DISH 500 with legacy LNBs should be able to find it for $50 with shipping. Your other alternative is to get the Sony dish and aim it for 110 then take the output from your 119 dish and combine them using a SW-21 switch. I don't think DISH is selling new SW-21s any longer so again you will have to shop for it. Microyal does make a SW-21 that can be used in place of the DISH brand but the quality is not the same as the original. It really comes down to do you want 1 dish or 2 on your roof?

622 and 625 & remotes, your set up?

PPV / On-Demand Movie Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)