Dish Receivers Left Behind

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
My son-in-law recently purchased some apartments. In one of the vacant apartments was some Dish equipment left behind by previous tenant. There were 2 Dish 522 & 1 510 receivers along with the remotes. I know nothing about Dish equipment. I was thinking of giving them to another family member who has been thinking about switching from cable. I was also told that these may belong to Dish and were leased by the tenant. Is there any way to check this out? If in fact they do belong to Dish, how do I return them. The tenant had apparently skipped out owing some rent so nothing would surprise me.

They almost certainly belong to Dish and from the circumstances you describe they probably have balances owed against them. Call Dish at 1-800-333-DISH and explain the situation. They will probably send boxes to return them in or a local dealer to pick them up.

NightRyder

cspiteri said:
Is there any way to check this out?

You'll need the receivers' R00 and smartcards' S00 numbers. You can call DISH and they can verify the status of the receivers.

stone phillips420 said:
most likely there leased, but i dont think its very uncommon to own a 522 as i have owned one since late november

If they left it behind, they don't own it. Most people don't leave behind an expensive piece of electronics that they own.

This is just the scum-bag in me talking :D I'd put them up on ebay and let the chips fall where they may.

Dude, that is scummy.

(For those that don't know, many 522s on eBay won't be authorized by Dish Network, leaving the purchaser with a useless receiver. Especially abandoned 522 like these which likely have unpaid monthly fees and/or PPV charges built up on them. Not to mention that since they were only available as a lease from Dish, they are still the Property of Dish, and Dish wants it back).

Please note: I was in no way being serious about selling them on ebay. I wouldn't do it. I think it has been made clear in the previous post that they are probably the property of E*.

Dish Receivers Left Behind Update

Thank you for the responses on my prior post. I spoke with Dish Network and as you indicated, the equipment belongs to Dish. They`re sending boxes so I can return the receivers and remotes. Although the Dish rep couldn`t comment, I got the distinct impression that the guy who left them behind not only didn`t pay his rent. He also didn`t pay his Dish bill.
Thanks to the FORUM for helping me get these back to their rightful owner.

Rotating the SuperDish System

Dish Website Update - Broadcast Page & Be on the show!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)