Dish problems

satcomm@live.com

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
NW ohio
I have been installing dish and direct for a while now and started my own contracting company. im sbca certified i went threw dish school and im wild blue and huges certified.
Ive been reading over alot of problems on this site so i lend some of the things ive come accross.
The main problem that i have seen with sat is barrels they are bad very bad. I have seen a barrel allow ird power threw and and now allow signal back, first tip if your having a zero signal problem and you havent had a storm check you ground block and wall plates if it werent for needing to ground the system they are awfull. next i have seen lots of people do this on dish movers do not do not plug the box in with out a dish hooked to it, the system will raise and lower the voltage to find a signal until it wears itself out just wait a day to have dish install it. next make sure you check the power in your house if your house is hot netural reversed not only is the dish guy gonna be real mad because the case of the receiver and the dish be juiced up with 110 you will fry the box, this is actual very common i have seen it many times. next make good fittings one braid wraped arond the stinger can cause the entire system to mess up not just the box its hooked to usualy when this happens if you get real close to the box you can hear a hi pitched wine coming from it this will burn out your box i have done it every one does with 6 jobs stacked up and your in a hurry. lol and diplexors are not splitters no matter what the guy at radio shack says. distance is a big factor yea i have heard guys running the system up to 400 feet and they wonder why when it rains the signal goes out, and why they keep frying boxes and lnbfs. i wont install over 200 total feet, you can go further but you need sig amps and they are expensive. a quick note on barrels clear barrels are not to be used in dish meaning if you look at the end of the barrel and its not blue throw it in the garbage and that goes back to radio shack they have no idea, a clear barrel is not rated for voltage, next splitters are a no go in the line from the dish to the box back in the legacy days i have seen some things that should not have worked but they will not work now. next another hug big big fail is the connections i have seen dish tech hook up the wrong wire putting the tv2 to sat feed and the tv2 antenna on the tv2 feed i dont know how many times i had to drive 60 miles at 4 oclock at night on a service call because some one rearranged the tv and when they were done nothing worked because of a 15 second mistake. also make sure your system is grounded and not to your chain link fence, grounding is not meant for lightning strikes if your dish gets hit by lightning there wont be anything left, its meant for static build up, a dish sitting outside in the wind is a big static collector and after it builds up enough it can pop a box, use the ground block and a house ground, theres a reason we dont use aluminum wire anymore because its been known to catch things on fire. lets see 34 switches are junk junk junk and should be replaced they go out all the time, superdishes are junk they go out and have elo drift like crazy, F Y I drift does not mean that the satellites in space drifted it means the dish took a crap, a real big one you can not use a plus twin with a 33 switch you have to use 2 dish pro duals, it will work for about 10 minuits if that, until you fry the lnbf. rg59 line will work for about a month before it dies just spend a little more and buy good 6. crimp fittings are very bad you have to use compression, yes you say well it worked for 20 years but that was then, new equipment is super picky about right voltage and and corrsion, fittings should be tightened not with your hands you need a wrentch dont get crazy but they need to be tight, hears a crazy thing water can get any were i have seen water travel threw a coax cable into a receiver i would never had beleived it until it seen it, thats why a ground block needs to be mounted horizonaly and you need drip loops and if you dont think so then you need to quit installing. and lastly not all contractors are bad i worked for dish and then decided that i want to make more money being a contrator.

For Future reference.. You have many points in your message.. Break them into different paragraphs. I can handle bad spelling. But not one big clumped up sentence.. :)

Like Mark said, a little punctuation goes a long way. And while you have many good points, I don't necessarily agree about the DP34 switches. I installed several hundred 121 SuperDishes until our locals were moved to 110. Properly drip-looped and weather proofed, the 34 switch was a pretty solid piece...but yeah the SuperDish LNB was pretty flaky. I know there were several revisions, but I don't think they ever got it right.

Point Dish Elevation question

have eve pole installation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)