Dish OTA question

I.M.Broke

Original poster
Oct 16, 2024
Pittsburgh Pa
Hello all. New here and not really conversant in all the technical lingo so pardon my dumbed down post. A few years ago Dish installed their OTA under their satellite dish. I wanted it for locals and it also pulls in lots of digital channels. I had a pretty big package from them for years for my elderly Mum. Since she passed I find I don't really watch all that much since I have a Roku and subscribe to some streaming like Paramount+,Britbox, etc. when I do watch. The leased Dish receivers are an old VIP722DVR and a leased VIP211. If I would cancel Dish I know I have to return the receivers but they're not going to remove the OTA. Can I still somehow attach it to my Samsung Smart TV to continue to get those local and digital channels? Thanks for any input/suggestions! Just make sure it's dumbed down for me :)

Hello all. New here and not really conversant in all the technical lingo so pardon my dumbed down post. A few years ago Dish installed their OTA under their satellite dish. I wanted it for locals and it also pulls in lots of digital channels. I had a pretty big package from them for years for my elderly Mum. Since she passed I find I don't really watch all that much since I have a Roku and subscribe to some streaming like Paramount+,Britbox, etc. when I do watch. The leased Dish receivers are an old VIP722DVR and a leased VIP211. If I would cancel Dish I know I have to return the receivers but they're not going to remove the OTA. Can I still somehow attach it to my Samsung Smart TV to continue to get those local and digital channels? Thanks for any input/suggestions! Just make sure it's dumbed down for me :)
First, they probably won’t ask for those receivers back. They are kind of over the hill. Next, absolutely, simply take the antenna coax off of the receiver and hook it up to your Samsung. You will need to scan for channels on the Samsung and you will be good to go.

Reactions: charlesrshell
First, they probably won’t ask for those receivers back. They are kind of over the hill. Next, absolutely, simply take the antenna coax off of the receiver and hook it up to your Samsung. You will need to scan for channels on the Samsung and you will be good to go.
Thank you! That's easier than I thought it would be...thank goodness!!! The receivers are like me-over the hill, but still leased so I thought they'd want them back. If they don't, would the OTA still work through them or does Dish shut off a magic switch that makes them totally useless?

Thank you! That's easier than I thought it would be...thank goodness!!! The receivers are like me-over the hill, but still leased so I thought they'd want them back. If they don't, would the OTA still work through them or does Dish shut off a magic switch that makes them totally useless?
You probably would still be able to view the channels but you would not be able to set a recording of one of them. I would simply move the coax off of the OTA module to the TV. One less piece of the puzzle to go bad.

What is acceptable signal strength on 110 and 119

Can't watch recordings day they are recorded