Dish Online TCP ports

Chimera

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Does anyone know which ports the 722 and 222 would use for Dish Online? I've read in a few places that 5101 and 5102 are used by the 722 but that must be dynamic otherwise what happens if you have 2 x 722s?? I know the receivers will usually use uPnP to open the right ports but the Dish receivers won't play nice with my DLink router, the only way I can make them work is by putting them in the DMZ which means only one receiver can go there. Someone must be doing this with port forwarding rather than uPnP....

Well, actually, both devices can use the same port because your router knows which packet belongs to which device (see note). Obvious example is 80. You can have numerous clients all accessing port 80 and the router doesn't mess up.

Edited to add this note: all Internet Protocol packets have a source address and port number, and a destination address and port number. Routers won't confuse packets even if one part is different.

Last edited:
That's not true for incoming packets that need port forwarding though. You can't run two apache servers on the same port behind the same firewall/router and expect people to be able to get to both since there is only one outside IP address. If the receiver initiates the connection that's fine, but from my experience that's nit he case here.

I believe they are initiating the connection, or else you would have to port-forward. Then if you were port-forwarded a port, you could only forward the incoming traffic to a single server, as in your webserver example.

So, in your OP, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Dish ports in question are 5101 and 5102. So two receivers on the inside would have unique IP addresses, and the router would not get confused even if the external ports and addresses were the same. If both receivers with unique addresses both happen to use the same source port, then the router would have to change this port during NAT or it would have no idea where to send the return packets.

Last edited:
TheKrell said:
I believe they are initiating the connection, or else you would have to port-forward. Then if you were port-forwarded a port, you could only forward the incoming traffic to a single server, as in your webserver example. So, in your OP, and correct me if I'm wrong, the Dish ports in question are 5101 and 5102. So two receivers on the inside would have unique IP addresses, so the router would not get confused.

That's the point, if I don't put the receiver ip in the DMZ I can't get it to stay online. I can only put one IP in the DMZ so there's no way to get both receivers online. I was asking for clarification on what ports the receivers would need, it seems that they would use the same ports since there's no way to set them on the receiver. It's possible that the 222 can't be "online" in DO because it's not a DVR but if it doesn't show online, I can't use the DO iPad/iPhone app to view the attached sling box. I can use the DO website (the live tv button shows up even though the 222 is not green) so it seems more like a programming error in the iOS app.

Well, nuts! I don't have a standalone Slingbox, so I can't test this. (I do have a Hava Platinum...) But I have 3 dish receivers hardwired to a D-link DGL-4300 and they all stay online just fine even though my DMZ is pointing to my server. I have no upnp nor port-forwarding enabled on the D-link.

whatchel1 said:
Seems like all it would take is the router to see them once and it would be set via DHCP. All the units have different MAC addresses.

DHCP just assigns ip addresses, doesn't do any port forwarding. I have static assignments for both of my receivers so the ips never change.

Chimera said:
DHCP just assigns ip addresses, doesn't do any port forwarding. I have static assignments for both of my receivers so the ips never change.

So how r u able to have static ip assigments? I tried this several times but failed. The help screen under network set up on my 722 states static assigments wont work...
I have succescully set static ips for game consoles and wireless printers but not the 722...

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

R0ss said:
So how r u able to have static ip assigments? I tried this several times but failed. The help screen under network set up on my 722 states static assigments wont work...
I have succescully set static ips for game consoles and wireless printers but not the 722...

Ross

I use DHCP reservations on my router. Just reserve a specific IP for the MAC address of each receiver.

Chimera said:
I use DHCP reservations on my router. Just reserve a specific IP for the MAC address of each receiver.

Maybe it is my router but it wont work for the 722. But does for game consoles and wireless printers...not a big deal but I think certain devices function on the network better with static ips especially in a wireless environment....

Ross

This isn't really making a lot of sense trying to visualize. Can you draw us a picture?

Specifically, it seems the slingboxes would be what needs port forwarding, and if you have more than one, you can just assign a different external port number to each. As far as I know, a dish receiver behind a firewall is fine because it initiates all the connections.

No, the slingbox works fine when using the sling app no matter which receiver it's connected to without any port forwarding. I think I'm really seeing 2 problems :

#1 - I can't get my receivers to stay "green" in Dish Online unless I put them in the DMZ of my router, and I can only put one in the DMZ. I have never got my 222 to show "green" even if I put it in the DMZ.
#2 - If a receiver isn't "green", you can still use the SlingBox Live TV option through Dish Online but you cannot use that same feature through the iPad/iPhone app without being "green".

All I want to do is use my Slingbox on my 222 with the iPad app. I have a Sling adapter coming for my 722 and will be able to use that, but if both TV1 and TV2 are in use I still want the fallback of using my older Slingbox as an extra tuner.

Ok, from the dish app on your iphone give it some time after connecting to show green again. I have a 722 with sling adapter and when I connect from my iPhone, iPad or computer the 722 with the sling adapter as well as the other 722 on my network without the adapter almost never show green, but within a minute or two do show up. I believe once you connect to DO they send either a packet or a signal back to your receiver to as I like to call it wake the H*LL up. This sort of makes sense rather than a constant barrage of keepalives being sent from every net connected receiver. Like you I have static DHCP leases assigned to my two 722s. As for your sling box and 222 not showing up in Dish Online, I don't believe that they will or should. Slingbox and Sling adapter are two different creatures. Slingbox was something sling did before being brought into the Dish fold and the Sling adapter and Sling enabled 922 were created for Dish. To the best of my knowledge the only supported devices are the 922 or 722/722k with a sling adapter.

hdflsts2002 said:
Ok, from the dish app on your iphone give it some time after connecting to show green again. I have a 722 with sling adapter and when I connect from my iPhone, iPad or computer the 722 with the sling adapter as well as the other 722 on my network without the adapter almost never show green, but within a minute or two do show up. I believe once you connect to DO they send either a packet or a signal back to your receiver to as I like to call it wake the H*LL up. This sort of makes sense rather than a constant barrage of keepalives being sent from every net connected receiver. Like you I have static DHCP leases assigned to my two 722s. As for your sling box and 222 not showing up in Dish Online, I don't believe that they will or should. Slingbox and Sling adapter are two different creatures. Slingbox was something sling did before being brought into the Dish fold and the Sling adapter and Sling enabled 922 were created for Dish. To the best of my knowledge the only supported devices are the 922 or 722/722k with a sling adapter.

That's not the case though. You can (and I have) connect a slingbox to a 222 through DishOnline and view Live TV with it even though the receiver never shows "green". You just can't do it with the Dish iOS app. When my slingbox was connected to my 722 and it showed green I could view it with my iPad using the Dish app.

Is splitting TV1 to another room possible with 722k?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)