Dish Network: Distant Networks

My guess is once the requalification is complete there will be either a 30 or 60 day notice. I would not put in for waivers before a notice from E* is received.

Does everyone understand this "resolution" as outside the statutory license? That is to say, some voluntary agreement. The statute does not have a "no injunction if everybody decides to play nice" clause. At a minimum, it would require the Court of Appeals to vacate its order to the district court. Will they do that? Dunno. Greg B. - doesn't this raise all the same issues as CBS-HD? If the injunction under 17 USC 119 stands and that license is necessary for private agreements - what has been gained?

ThomasRz said:
Does everyone understand this "resolution" as outside the statutory license? That is to say, some voluntary agreement. The statute does not have a "no injunction if everybody decides to play nice" clause. At a minimum, it would require the Court of Appeals to vacate its order to the district court. Will they do that? Dunno. Greg B. - doesn't this raise all the same issues as CBS-HD? If the injunction under 17 USC 119 stands and that license is necessary for private agreements - what has been gained?

Good question. Also, wouldn't the "resolution" have to be with ALL parties to even be considered?

ThomasRz said:
Well maybe you're the exception. So what's your reason? Is "Big Brother" on WCBS different than your local station? Are you that interested in the temperature in NY? Is the news reporterette than much hotter than the local skank? Is it just something to drop at cocktail parties? "Yes, this year Muffy and I are vacationing on the Riviera and did I mention we have New York channels? The locals are soooo Mayberry RFD..."

I like the higher production values and metropolitan feel of the East and West coast stations (I do not listen to local radio either).

Again, legally I can receive the DSNs via grandfather clause, so I do not need a reason.

No guarantee that your grandfather status is going to save you this time.

It's a whole new ballgame and depends upon what language is in the voluntary agreement that E* signed. As this is not a government/legal decree, there is a chance that there is no obligation to honor the grandfather clause.

For example if E* agreed to language along the lines of 'We will grant DNS to only subs who qualify for it under existing law' then someone who is grandfathered is not protected anymore than anyone else. But if they won an exclusion for those who had DNS before a particular date, then you'd be safe.

Tom Bombadil said:
No guarantee that your grandfather status is going to save you this time.

It's a whole new ballgame and depends upon what language is in the voluntary agreement that E* signed. As this is not a government/legal decree, there is a chance that there is no obligation to honor the grandfather clause.

For example if E* agreed to language along the lines of 'We will grant DNS to only subs who qualify for it under existing law' then someone who is grandfathered is not protected anymore than anyone else. But if they won an exclusion for those who had DNS before a particular date, then you'd be safe.

Well in that case, I'll lose the big four nets until the networks get smart and offer their programs over the net (Lost is already there).

I can wait for IPTV.

BobMurdoch said:
It took me years of battling to get my waivers.... Now I have to start at square one again?

Grrr.......

Maybe it's for people that are getting both their locals and distants at the moment and/or people that don't have waivers and just get distants based on their location. I'd hope if you have valid waivers (Dish resubmitted mine in early 2005), you should be ok.

BobMurdoch said:
THIS is what the antitrust laws were created to prevent. WHY isn't anyone banging a large drum about this?

Are you saying that a company that breaks the law can't be sued by a competitor to force it to comply, and if the legal opponent wins, you can't enforce the court's decision without causing antitrust?

Me, too. Getting waivers again will be next to impossible. I had to submit them countless times, and contact the stations personally to beg for them to get them approved. Getting them again will be next to impossible.

Lucky said:
Me, too. Getting waivers again will be next to impossible. I had to submit them countless times, and contact the stations personally to beg for them to get them approved. Getting them again will be next to impossible.

In the long run, I really think we will have the last laugh on the locals.

It may take a year or two, but IPTV will change a lot of things.

Lucky said:

All of Long Island is in the New York market. You were always able to get the networks via DBS legally, even without waivers. The rules were not intended to give you a loophole to slip through, only a legal solution for those who have never had local stations.

Tower Guy said:
All of Long Island is in the New York market. You were always able to get the networks via DBS legally, even without waivers. The rules were not intended to give you a loophole to slip through, only a legal solution for those who have never had local stations.

I've had the ability to get the locals for years, but according to the grandfather portion of the law, I don't have to.

The law changed last year trying to force the issue by giving me the choice of only DSN or locals, not both. I legally chose DSN.

Yep, nothing like watching the Super Bowl on a dial up line....

srbond said:
In the long run, I really think we will have the last laugh on the locals.

It may take a year or two, but IPTV will change a lot of things.

srbond said:
I've had the ability to get the locals for years, but according to the grandfather portion of the law, I don't have to.
But once again, I will point out that Dish Network did not submit you or anyone else as a "grandfathered" distant network subscriber. That could be a very important problem. If Dish Network settled with the broadcasters and the terms of requalification were based upon the verification by the courts, you will lose the networks.

And then you'd only really have Dish Network to blame.

ThomasRz said:
Yep, nothing like watching the Super Bowl on a dial up line....

Who uses dial-up anymore... ever hear of high-speed?

Speaking of phone lines, AT&T is now offering television service over the phone lines...

Greg Bimson said:
But once again, I will point out that Dish Network did not submit you or anyone else as a "grandfathered" distant network subscriber. That could be a very important problem. If Dish Network settled with the broadcasters and the terms of requalification were based upon the verification by the courts, you will lose the networks.

And then you'd only really have Dish Network to blame.

And if that is the case, I'll switch to "D" and not buy any locals or DNS.

srbond said:

A lot of us out here in America's great outback don't have and probably never will have access to high speed internet except high cost satellite internet. That's the same reason we use satellite for our TV-no over the air signal. Internet broadcasting will never be a reality for many of us because companies are not willing to invest in the infrastructure to connect us to the high speed world. There are not enough of us to make it profitable.

Eastern OR said:
srbond said:

A lot of us out here in America's great outback don't have and probably never will have access to high speed internet except high cost satellite internet. That's the same reason we use satellite for our TV-no over the air signal. Internet broadcasting will never be a reality for many of us because companies are not willing to invest in the infrastructure to connect us to the high speed world. There are not enough of us to make it profitable.

That's too bad... but I think time will cure that. When I first got high speed, it was $50 per month, now it's $20.

I think that will happen eventually for the underserved areas as well.

Uplink Activity for 10-18-2006

Vip 211 OTA Guide

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts