DISH Network Advertisements

3HaloODST

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 2, 2010
Earth
Hi all,

New DISH subscriber here, loving the HD, have two ViP 722k DVR's it's sweet! I only have one pet peeve, with the DVR, there are ads randomly scheduled at around 2am sometimes! What the heck, sometimes when I skip them they are re-scheduled? Anyone else have this problem? Some say ".99 Cent VOD" or some mess.

Back when I had a DVR 625 I don't recall ever having this issue? Any way I can fix this? Both receivers get the ads. Both are connected to the Internet via Ethernet if that helps any?

Thanks

Also, sort of a side question, what would cause my second box to sometimes go "offline" when I try to use remote access? I find that going into offline mode on remote access magically restores the box back online. Also, the receiver itself always says "connected online" even when the remote access fails? I figure it's a glitch. First box never goes offline?

We (with DVRs) all get them, but they are rare. Usually about some promotion. Just delete. No biggie.

Last edited:
the rate is way up, i delete them unviewed, its back the next day even when i selected skip on the recording schedule...........

How often do you get them to say the rate is way up? Had a new on last night for the 99 cent promo. Deleted it w/o watching. Rairly watch and have never had one come back after deleting. On a 722k and a 508. I get one AT MOST once a month and it is probably less than that.

How often do you get them to say the rate is way up? Had a new on last night for the 99 cent promo. Deleted it w/o watching. Rairly watch and have never had one come back after deleting. On a 722k and a 508. I get one AT MOST once a month and it is probably less than that.

it's bob...nuff said. Bob Haller, who back in January stated because of the DVR fees was leaving Dish but had some excuse of something about too much snow to get access to the garage or something. But ironically, it's now July and I guess the snow is still so deep (or was it the BS that was so deep) that he still can't access the garage to switch... :rolleyes:

They record certain promos once in a while to remind the customer of them. It just seems like a lot right now because they have their $0.99 PPV promo going on right now. I have only had two record this week. They are very short and I just delete them right away. I suppose it may annoy some people but I don't see the big stink about it.

...Also, sort of a side question, what would cause my second box to sometimes go "offline" when I try to use remote access? I find that going into offline mode on remote access magically restores the box back online. Also, the receiver itself always says "connected online" even when the remote access fails? I figure it's a glitch. First box never goes offline?

Remote access has been hit or miss lately. There have been several threads about remote access problems, including the problem that you mention. Try searching for them.

I guess I don't understand why these DVR ads create such a headache. You are not forced to watch them. They delete easily. And don't seem to create any problems with your existing recordings. Just delete them and move on.. If you want something to cry about, then start screaming about all those VOD Channels in the Number 1 slot that wont stay locked out.. THAT is intrusive.

Hi all,

New DISH subscriber here, loving the HD, have two ViP 722k DVR's it's sweet! I only have one pet peeve, with the DVR, there are ads randomly scheduled at around 2am sometimes! What the heck, sometimes when I skip them they are re-scheduled? Anyone else have this problem? Some say ".99 Cent VOD" or some mess.

Back when I had a DVR 625 I don't recall ever having this issue? Any way I can fix this? Both receivers get the ads. Both are connected to the Internet via Ethernet if that helps any?

Thanks

Also, sort of a side question, what would cause my second box to sometimes go "offline" when I try to use remote access? I find that going into offline mode on remote access magically restores the box back online. Also, the receiver itself always says "connected online" even when the remote access fails? I figure it's a glitch. First box never goes offline?

I get those too on my 625.:confused:

Hi,

Lots of responses! Some good ones, few bad ones, but that's to be expected on the Internet!

I really wouldn't mind them so much if it was once a month for me, I still think it's a cheap ploy at advertising though. Anyway as previously mentioned, I am a new subscriber, less than a month, and I have had three of them show up on each DVR! To make matters worse they re-inject themselves if you skip/delete sometimes!

Overall, yeah, no biggie, thus the reason I stated that it was a pet peeve.

I find it amusing that I'm told to stop "crying" while also seeing said person "cry" about a "problem" that I have no problem with! Maybe you need a Kleenex as well, maybe a Tylenol? I know it's not giving me a headache, nor am I losing sleep over it, as I never said it was a federal case!

As for the DISH Remote Access thing, good to know that it's not a problem on my end. I find that if I log in and out enough times it eventually works, oh well could be worse. Just made me think maybe it was a network issue on my end, since one DVR is always shown as "online" all the time. Remote Access doesn't need any ports forwarded or anything right? I figure it doesn't.

To the guy that said he gets it on his 625, I guess they just started doing this within the last 8 months, 'cause that's when I last had my DVR 625. I'm pretty sure I never had ads on it ever and I was a customer from 10-2007 until 10-2009 with the 625. Now I'm back with DISH and overall my experience is much better than with U-verse TV, that service was a mistake!

Thanks for all the input!

Dish's company, Dish's satellites, they can "advertise" any way they choose.
Like others have said, no one is forced to watch them, you can make them go away by hitting the delete button, and every now and again, it might offer someone a bit of information they didn't know.

They must be pushing some promos a little harder right now. I'll bet they only put a dozen on in a year. You'll hardly notice them. They may actually remind you of a great promo or feature you didn't know about.

They must be pushing some promos a little harder right now. I'll bet they only put a dozen on in a year. You'll hardly notice them. They may actually remind you of a great promo or feature you didn't know about.

Yes, the $.99 VOD and Summer extravaganza. Those are the only two in quite some time.

Dish's company, Dish's satellites, they can "advertise" any way they choose.
Like others have said, no one is forced to watch them, you can make them go away by hitting the delete button, and every now and again, it might offer someone a bit of information they didn't know.

You say that as if they can just do it any old way they want. It may be their satellites, and their company, but in the end it's the consumer's money, and if DISH chooses to put 10000 ads on the DVR I can guarantee you they will lose customers. So no, they can not advertise any way they choose. I appreciate your bottom line, but it is far from satisfactory.

I know it can be deleted, no need to state the obvious. As I said it was three ads in less than a month, so I wanted to know if this was the usual. Now that I know that it's not the usual, great. Still doesn't change my opinion about it being a cheap ploy. Even AT&T U-verse didn't even put ads in the DVR, but as I have already said, DISH is the better experience even with this PET PEEVE.

Thanks for the reply. A dozen in a year, I think I can handle.

Yes, the $.99 VOD and Summer extravaganza. Those are the only two in quite some time.

Yeah those are the ones. I got the .99 VOD one twice, and the Summer Extravaganza one once. As long as it isn't a nightly occurrence, I guess I'll have no problem!

I'm new to the service also and I think I've also had three of these. I don't really care for that means of advertising but the service and the equipment are so far superior to the cable company that I can put up with it if I have to do so. It would be nice if you could "opt out" of this form of advertising by turning it off like you can the banner on the program guide.

Not a deal-breaker at all for me, just a little annoying. I still love my Dish Network! :D

Instead sending those stupid promotions as a live stream on Ch 101, Dish should send them as a download like they do the VOD. That way they don't interrupt of confuse people in my household who couldn't figure out how they "lost control" or the box, "tuned to another channel by itself" (I don't think it was supposed to do that) because they was one recording in progress and were watching a different channel only to have it tune to Ch 101. No, they ignored and didn't know what the on screen count-down timer was for. These folks are nothing near techie.

Keep petting your peeve and it will go to sleep.;)

Haha thanks for the advice :D yes I'm sure it will be put to rest if it's not a frequent occurrence.

Instead sending those stupid promotions as a live stream on Ch 101, Dish should send them as a download like they do the VOD. That way they don't interrupt of confuse people in my household who couldn't figure out how they "lost control" or the box, "tuned to another channel by itself" (I don't think it was supposed to do that) because they was one recording in progress and were watching a different channel only to have it tune to Ch 101. No, they ignored and didn't know what the on screen count-down timer was for. These folks are nothing near techie.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too, but luckily none of the non-tech-savvy people in my household stay up at 2am.

VIP722K: Compatible Ethernet Switches?

Dish'n It Up vs New Customer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts