Dish HDTV packages

bsdish

Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
I'm about to sign up for the 921/34" HD monitor package. Has anyone seen this tv - is it any good?

I'm of the impression that there are only a few HD channels through Dish - I'm not too worried about that. I'm about 30 miles from the NY towers. I'm assuming I can get some OTA HD signals for local broadcast.

Unfortunately, that's about all I know. Can I get away with a little indoor antenna for HD reception?

Big question is, will the Superbowl party be in HD? I'm guessing no at this point, but that won't stop me from the package if I get favorable responses here.

bsdish said:
I'm about to sign up for the 921/34" HD monitor package. Has anyone seen this tv - is it any good?

I'm of the impression that there are only a few HD channels through Dish - I'm not too worried about that. I'm about 30 miles from the NY towers. I'm assuming I can get some OTA HD signals for local broadcast.

Unfortunately, that's about all I know. Can I get away with a little indoor antenna for HD reception?

Big question is, will the Superbowl party be in HD? I'm guessing no at this point, but that won't stop me from the package if I get favorable responses here.
Check http://www.antennaweb.org for what antenna you would need in your location. I use an indoor antenna, and I'm about 20 miles from the towers.

Yes, the Superbowl has been in HD for a while now, and so are all the BCS bowl games this year.

I use a indoor antenna and I am upwards to sixty miles away from some towers. Of course, I have times were I lose my signal, but for the most part I keep good signal (of course I have move my antenna around a lot, but I am bringing in channels that are sixty miles away). You'd have to test it, note: antenna web won't give you any information on indoor antennas. Even wal-mart has a pretty good amplified indoor antenna for around $30, try it. I believe mine does a good job for something that is so inexpensive, and something that sits beside my TV.

clamp on antennas?

I've noticed RCA is marketing antennas for the DirectTV satellites. I would assume that this antenna receiving OTA signal doesn't care whether it's a Directv dish or a Dish dish. Do these exterior setups work better than the standard rabbit ears with UHF loop that RCA also sells? :confused:

clamp on antennas are garbage. What are the antennaweb rankings for the OTA channels nearest you?

Antenna posts

Red at the worst - FOx HD is the most desirable for me

superbowl party and all

08873 zip

just checked again - I think I have yellow for all the local HD broadcasts -

What's the DTV column for? Is that for Digital TV broadcast? :confused:

I'm admittedly sponsor-pimping today :)

Value Electronics (in Scarsdale, FYI) offers 2 antennas that should be good for you.

1 is on the smaller indoor side. The silver sensor. It's well regarded, not bad looking, and cheap (20 ish bucks). A good place to start.

2 is the square shooter. Mountable anywhere, and a stronger antenna (might be overkill if the silver sensor would work). Good for multipath rejection (which might be a problem for you being so close to 2 DMA's).

OTA antenna with future 921

SO - either one of those antennas will cable directly to the the OTA input on the 921 I anticipate getting, and the 921 will convert HD signal from the OTA input and send HD to the 34" HD monitor I'm also going to get.

The antenna's will grab all available local HD content, and I don't have to sign up for Dish's HD pack unless I want ESPN HD (which is likely to be the most watched)?

Is the PIP capable of having OTA feed for one tuner and Sat feed for other tuner?

I've read threads under different forums that talk about the 921 not receiveing proper guide info for OTA - is this still true?

1) for cabling, yes. Both output coax that goes straight into the 921. And the 921 will output the digtal feed (HD or not, keep in mind not everything is HD all the time) via component or DVI.

2) That's correct, although I believe the 34" TV + 921 deal requires one year signup to the HD pack.

3) I'll need to read up on the 921 PIP. Not 100% on it.

4) Hoo boy, pandora's box there. The 921 requires subscription to the local channels to get guide info for OTA. It sucks. 921 owners are up in arms about it, and rightfully so. If you plan on subscribing to local channels via Dish, this isn't an issue, though.

OTA and Dish HD packs

I already subscribe to the local channels - I'll continue to pay $5/month for guides - that's not a problem.

Was I correct with the yellow rating on antennaweb for 08873?

And I thought channel 5.1 (for instance) would be a VHF channel - why does it say it's an UHF channel?

Here's one more thing: I don't get all the local channels - I get a message that they'll (Dish) install a second dish or new dish free so I can get the 3 or 4 extra PBS locals that I currently can't get. I don't know how to check to see what dish I have mounted, where it's aiming, etc.

Install is included with Dish's 921+monitor package - Do I just rely on them to get everything right the first time??? god forbid!

If you got the install included as a current sub, this is a GREAT deal AFAIC

I would get the 2nd dish for free. You can also get CBS-HD added at the same time, as it's on the 61.5 dish. Makes for a nice backup. Make sure you have line of sight due south for 61.5. All the channel locations can be seen at http://www.dishchannelchart.com/

As for the yellow rating, I'm assuming you put multi-story house on antennaweb. Keep in mind that they're building this assuming a certain height of the antenna, so yellow might be a little optimistic. The silver sensor gets rave reviews past a yellow rating, though, so it might not be a problem.

As for WNYW, prepare to be slightly confused :) See the heading on antennaweb called "frequency assignment?" That's the actual channel that the digital channel is transmitting on. The 5.1 designation is their channel assignment, and the 921 will display this once it locks the channel.

hancox said:
If you got the install included as a current sub, this is a GREAT deal AFAIC
I would get the 2nd dish for free.
That's the actual channel that the digital channel is transmitting on. .

what do you mean "included as a current sub"?

okay - the 44 is the actual frequency being transmitted, which is in the UHF range - I think :eek:

I was trying to avoid a second dish on the roof of the townhouse - but maybe I'll have them do it anyway. Dish sent me some schpiel on "rights of homeowners" to prove that I can mount stuff to receive my local channels. They mentioned the "Superdish".

The previous owners had installed an old chimney type mount antenna in my attic - is this useless to me? I'd prefer the silver sensor over running cable through the house - besides, the would have to travel from attic, down 3 floor to basement - signal loss would probably be terrible.

thanks again - I now have more fodder for when I call Dish to order my 1st HDTV package :cool:

most install deals are only offered to new subscribers. They might be extending this to clear out the tv's.

VHF = 2-13. Anything else if uhf (think back to your old rotary dial tv)

antenna in attic may work. I would get a roll of rg6 coax (good to have spare anyway) and run it through house (ie not behind walls) just to test. It can't hurt, especially in the height dept.

DVD Recorder's

811 remote controlling 522 DVR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)