Dish hd quality lower than directv??

jeeperguy

Original poster
May 14, 2012
lake winola, PA
I just switched from directv to dish and it looks like my HD doesnt look as good as it did with directv. Is this just in my head and im imagining things? or could it really be lower quality?

It depends on the channel, some are better on Dish some are better on DIRECTV... They allocate their bandwidth differently.

that's strange because i've read the opposite from many who went with the hopper. current dish customers and ex directv customers have claimed improved HD pic quality when compared to the vip series or the same as directv.

I was not going to add my two cents because I know where threads like this go :), but I myself swtiched from Directv to the Hopper system and see HD PQ to be the same (my view)

Also check your HDTV setting in your new receiver and be sure you're hooked up with HDMI or component cables.

like i said, it could all be in my head, the 2 plasma's look the same its my older rear projo that looks different, i think my bulb may be going also, to bad i cant change it again (wink, wink) guess ill have to tell the wife we need a new tv now

that's strange because i've read the opposite from many who went with the hopper. current dish customers and ex directv customers have claimed improved HD pic quality when compared to the vip series or the same as directv.

I went from a 922 to the Hopper and I was surprised at thinking the picture was even better.

like i said, it could all be in my head, the 2 plasma's look the same its my older rear projo that looks different, i think my bulb may be going also, to bad i cant change it again (wink, wink) guess ill have to tell the wife we need a new tv now

That worked for me with our old Mitsu dlp. Picture kept getting darker and darker. Finally she agreed that we needed a new tv. Took her to Best Buy and we picked out a 52 in Sammy. When they delivered it the guys said that the normally would set it up, but it had been sitting in a cold truck over night and I should let it up before turning it on.
Wife went out for a long walk. I had just finished setting it up and had turned it on the a BB game (March Madness). She came up the stairs, took one look at the picture and said "Oh my God. Look at that picture"

There was a thread about this in the D* forum on DBSTalk the other day. Hoppers show file sizes of recordings to 3 decimal places so I assume they are accurate. I looked at some 1 hr drama shows and found the bit rate was between about 3.1 and 4 Mbs. Some posters with D* said that the D* rate was "twice or more" than I reported but it was anecdotal since D* DVRs only list file size as a precentage of disk space. I think D* may have a higher rate than E* but I don't think their picture is much better because of it. I can set my resolution to 720X480P from my Hopper to my Samsung LCD TV and the picture still looks pretty good because of the upconverting capabilities of the set.

Last edited:
After a couple of drinks everything always looks better..............;)

Satellite 1000.2

How to disable updates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts