GEOSATpro Dish Elevation Angle

freddylq

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 25, 2016
South Gate
How does one set the dish elevation angle on the GeoSatPro 90cm ? I'm using a Stab HH90. According to the Stab instructions its:
Degrees of dish elevation = P - (45 - latitude) where P = degrees of dish elevation for fixed mount given by the manufacturer.
Where do I get the "P" value for this dish ? :rolleyes:

At Dishpointer.com, motorized systems, true south/true north.
It's the "elevation" value, in the white window.

NB Dishpointer also allows you to choose "STAB HH90".

Greetz,
Good luck,
A33
So I just use that value for elevation? I don't have to do the math?

You have to do the math.
The line in the manual should read: Degrees of dish elevation scale = P - (45 - latitude) where P = degrees of dish elevation for fixed mount in the direction of true south/north (given by the manufacturer).

So that the dish elevation scale setting is derived from the total dish elevation value of the clarke belt at true south/north.

I did indeed forget yesterday to indicate to you, that it is not the "dish elevation setting" that the formula was about, but the "dish elevation scale setting". Alas also these official manuals are often not very precise in their wording....

Another (easier, I think) way of calculating the dish elevation scale value for the HH90 is:
45 (bend angle of the HH90 tube) - dish declination offset angle (in short, but not really correct: "declination angle").

See the dishpointer.com website: you'll be able to recognize these angles by now I think.

Greetz,
A33

Reactions: freddylq
You have to do the math.
The line in the manual should read: Degrees of dish elevation scale = P - (45 - latitude) where P = degrees of dish elevation for fixed mount in the direction of true south/north (given by the manufacturer).

So that the dish elevation scale setting is derived from the total dish elevation value of the clarke belt at true south/north.

I did indeed forget yesterday to indicate to you, that it is not the "dish elevation setting" that the formula was about, but the "dish elevation scale setting". Alas also these official manuals are often not very precise in their wording....

Another (easier, I think) way of calculating the dish elevation scale value for the HH90 is:
45 (bend angle of the HH90 tube) - dish declination offset angle (in short, but not really correct: "declination angle").

See the dishpointer.com website: you'll be able to recognize these angles by now I think.

Greetz,
A33
Ok. So according to dishpointer the dec angle is 5.5 so the dish elevation scale is 39. 😀

Ok. So according to dishpointer the dec angle is 5.5 so the dish elevation scale is 39. 😀

Yes, 45 - 5.5 = about 39 (in fact, 39.5, but dishpointer does round a bit...)

Also 50.5 - (45 - 34) = 39.5

(I, personnally, would use [better!] so-called "modified" motor angles: modified dish declination offset angle of 4.9 degrees instead of 5.5; and modified motor axis elevation angle of 55.4 degrees instead of 56.0. But don't let me confuse you! The 'traditional' angles will probably be good enough for you.)

Greetz,
A33

Reactions: freddylq
Yes, 45 - 5.5 = about 39 (in fact, 39.5, but dishpointer does round a bit...)

Also 50.5 - (45 - 34) = 39.5

(I, personnally, would use [better!] so-called "modified" motor angles: modified dish declination offset angle of 4.9 degrees instead of 5.5; and modified motor axis elevation angle of 55.4 degrees instead of 56.0. But don't let me confuse you! The 'traditional' angles will probably be good enough for you.)

Greetz,
A33
Thank you so much. Makes better sense now. Will give it a try when I get home. 👍

OTHER Multiport voltage switch suggestions needed

OTHER GT Media V7S5X Database w/Mood Music