Dish DVR Hard Drive Add On now possible?

Since you unplug the IDE cable to the drive inside of the PVR/DVR, it might. You'd void your warranty, however. Also PVR/DVR systems that require a specific drive may have compatibility issues.

I'm not willing to try it out, but if anyone does please post your results here!

Yeah, but after having the drive in my 721 go belly up with 80 hours of recordings, it is an interesting concept. I could do something similar with linux if I set up a webserver through the USB port and clone the drive over the network, but since it has a 1.1 USB, it wouldn't be real time.........

The 501/508/510 go through an elaborate procedure when they initialize/format a new drive (it's take a special firmware load to make this happen).

If you're new drive is the EXACT same model as the original, then a clone will work. Notice the comment in the description that a "Similar" disk is used. I'd guess that's what this thing is doing. Good like finding the correct drive (it's an OEM model).

And, remember the "at once" space it not increasing. You're probably effectively swapping drives as needed.

Face it, if you really want expandable hard drive space, gotta go with TiVo.

David_Levin said:
The 501/508/510 go through an elaborate procedure when they initialize/format a new drive (it's take a special firmware load to make this happen).

If you're new drive is the EXACT same model as the original, then a clone will work. Notice the comment in the description that a "Similar" disk is used. I'd guess that's what this thing is doing. Good like finding the correct drive (it's an OEM model).

And, remember the "at once" space it not increasing. You're probably effectively swapping drives as needed.

Or Replay...

David_Levin said:

Actually, the device probably fools the DVR into thinking it is the original drive, and you can probably use any drive to mirror, since the device takes care of everything. Having a similar sized drive means that if you sue a bigger one, you will not get any use out of the extra space. Rai works with any type of drives, and quite frankly, when I mirror 2 drives, I use 2 different mans or 2 different lots from the same mans since 1 failure could casue a second by using the same drvies. As long as the samller drive is what is cloned, it should not mater what drive you use. And, as a backup, it is a useful solution.

Yes, I thought of that possibility after writing the first message. If it intercepts the requests for drive id information the PVR could be fooled.

An expensive way to add a drive to a 921. Pity Dish FORCES us to do this.

In January my year is up on my 921. If this is still available then, I might give it a go. I've been itchin to tear it apart anyway. :D

dishmover question

New HD Dish Customers Happy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)