Dish Configuation

stlfan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
I have a question about receiving the 118.7 satellite feed.........I currently have a dish 1000 that brings in a signal strength of 93 on most channels
located on the 129 satellite......The lowest signal strength I receive on this particular satellite is a 78........I realize that a 1000+ is needed to obtain the 118.7 feed.........When my original dish 1000 was installed (on my roof) it had to eventually be moved over about 3 feet to gain maximum signal strength without having continuous pixalization.......Since that time I have had a couple trees cut which allows for an excellent line of sight........I was wondering if there was another way of adding a separate dish with this particular particular (to receive the 118.7) since I already have a bracket / mount on my roof from where they had to move my original dish ........I hate taking the risk of having a dish 1000+ installed and jeopordizing my signal strength on the 129.........I need the 118.7 feed so that I can "move" to the market that carries the locals I am wanting.......I don't profess to be satellite savvy so this whole scenario may be totally hypothetical and unable to be done.........I have a friend of mine (who works for a local retailer) that could do the install if this is even feasible.........Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.............Thanks

Last edited:
As far as the 1000+ goes, you should be fine using the same spot as your 1000 is currently situated. The 118 is roughly the same location as the 119. The arm of the "+" mast is a bit larger and needs a strut mount. So it's just a matter of swapping out the arm and keeping the current footplate that is already bolted to your roof.

A side note. Not that I recommend it, but a person can "get away" with using the current mast you have and just use the strut mount kit to stabilize the slightly larger 1000+

Is there a way to add the 118.7 satellite to another dish without messing with the original placement of the dish 1000? Please advise??

Too complicated for me to comprehend...........As stated earlier, my knowledge with satellite usage and installation is very minimal.........That being said........Is there a way to purchase a separate dish and lnb to pick up the 118.7 satellite exclusively while leaving my dish 1000 alone.......I already have the mount drilled into my roof........Is there a way to add such to my existing set up??

get dish 500+ for 110 / 118.7 / 119 and didicate the d1000 to ur preciuos 129 hook up an expensive dpp 44 switch and ur good togo

ps: u cant just pick up 118.7 by it self that LNBF will also pickup 119

ps: u cant just pick up 118.7 by it self that LNBF will also pickup 119
That is like saying "My original 18 inch dish from Dish laying face up in the backyard is picking up everything from 60 degrees west to 157 degrees west and I can't stop the signals.":D

The Dish 500+/1000+ comes with a "DP Dual Band LNBF" which is a FSS/DBS LNBF for the satellites at 118.7 and 119. Even though it is a dual band LNBF, it has separate outputs for each band, which requires separate connections to your DP34 or DPP44 switch.

If you were to get a Dish 500+ soley for reception of 118.7, you do not need to make an electrical connection for 119 nor 110.:)

EDIT: In which case, you would probably want to remove the 110 LNBF and put it in a safe place. Then you may want to cap the 119 connection, but I don't know if a standard terminator (with the center conductor) would affect it or not.

Last edited:

New to Dish -- Can I Do This?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)