DISH and Cox Media Group Reach New agreement!

TazMan258

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2005
Springfield, OH

DISH and Cox Media Group Reach New agreement!​

We are pleased to announce that DISH and Cox Media Group have reached a new, multi-year agreement. Your Cox-owned local channels have been immediately restored and you can now enjoy their programming.

Thank you for your patience and support.

• Love
Reactions: That American Girl
I still remember when they chose not to pursue getting them back. Their reasoning was that only 10% of customers watch them. Which is a load of crap.
It is actually a lot less, Forbes published the ratings last year, more like 3%.

For example, the NY Yankees ( highest watched team) averaged 231,000 Households in the NY Metro Area.

The total number of households in the NY Metro area is 8.8 Million, out of that, only 231,000 watch the Yankees, which is a tad less then 3%.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Another reason they will not be back is that enough time has passed that those who were going to leave over it are long gone. The % of current customers that really want it are a low % and they will not be a diff maker in bringing new customers at this point IMO.

Another reason they will not be back is that enough time has passed that those who were going to leave over it are long gone. The % of current customers that really want it are a low % and they will not be a diff maker in bringing new customers at this point IMO.
The vast majority of subscribers do not want them, math and trends show us that, has nothing to do with Dish having/not having then.

For example

DirecTV in 2017, with Uverse, had 26 Million subscribers
Today with DirecTV Satellite, by Internet, Stream and Uverse, 10.5 Million, they have all the RSNs, did not help.

Comcast, they have the RSNs, down to 14 Million from a high of 22 million
Charter they have them, down also to 14 Million from a high of 18 million

Only about 40-45 Million get the RSNs today, from a high of 100 Million in 2017

YouTube TV, almost no RSNs, had the RSNs at first when they started service in 2017, starting dropping RSNs in 2020, at the time, had over 2 Million subscribers, today, after dropping almost all of them ( still has NBC’s RSN due to a long term contract), now at over 8 Million subscribers.

Yes, but does price of subscribing factor in to the loss of subs?

I dropped Netflix a few years ago when they went over $15/month. Disney+ is getting close to that (presently at $13/month) and that's my personal limit. Even though I enjoy shows on Disney+, Paramount+ and Peacock, my entertainment wallet has a limit and due to the WGA/SAG strike last year, there not that much new programming (yet) that I'm interested in streaming. So, I still watch way more linear TV off Dish than what I stream via the 3 services I named that I sub to.

Since new programming that I'm eager to see on Disney+ won't be showing up until sometime next year, I may drop Disney+ and save some money...

Yes, but does price of subscribing factor in to the loss of subs?

I dropped Netflix a few years ago when they went over $15/month. Disney+ is getting close to that (presently at $13/month) and that's my personal limit. Even though I enjoy shows on Disney+, Paramount+ and Peacock, my entertainment wallet has a limit and due to the WGA/SAG strike last year, there not that much new programming (yet) that I'm interested in streaming. So, I still watch way more linear TV off Dish than what I stream via the 3 services I named that I sub to.
Actually that analogy works both ways, people do not find enough content on linear services to keep them subscribing, so they leave and go to the streaming services.

That is why the RSNs are failing, not enough care.

I dropped paid Live TV since the streaming services already have the vast majority of new content from broadcast/cable channels, plus the extras

Since new programming that I'm eager to see on Disney+ won't be showing up until sometime next year, I may drop Disney+ and save some money...
Normally, I would prefer you ask these type of questions in the Cord Cutters Forum, to keep some from complaining, but since you brought it, what programming are you waiting for on D+, I prefer Star Wars/Marvel, this year, two series from each are premiering, the first in June, also some specials.

Actually that analogy works both ways, people do not find enough content on linear services to keep them subscribing, so they leave and go to the streaming services.

That is why the RSNs are failing, not enough care.

I dropped paid Live TV since the streaming services already have the vast majority of new content from broadcast/cable channels, plus the extras

Normally, I would prefer you ask these type of questions in the Cord Cutters Forum, to keep some from complaining, but since you brought it, what programming are you waiting for on D+, I prefer Star Wars/Marvel, this year, two series from each are premiering, the first in June, also some specials.
True, the analogy would work both ways. Guess it depends on what the viewing preferences of the subs are...

Yeah, sorry I dragged the thread off-topic. I'll stop after answering: You're right, I forgot about Acolyte and the Spider-Man series.

Still, I miss my RSN. I can get it back, but man, Fubo wants $79/month for the package that includes it and I'm just not gonna do that...

True, the analogy would work both ways. Guess it depends on what the viewing preferences of the subs are...
Yep, right now I am fine, I get all the network/cable channel shows ( along with the streaming shows) with just the services, when Football Season starts, probably try that new Live TV Sports Service or YTTV for the 5 months.
Yeah, sorry I dragged the thread off-topic. I'll stop after answering: You're right, I forgot about Acolyte and the Spider-Man series.
More than that, Star Wars:Skeleton Crew is this year also, for Marvel- Agatha Harkness and Eyes of Wakanda.
Still, I miss my RSN. I can get it back, but man, Fubo wants $79/month for the package that includes it and I'm just not gonna do that...
They want more then that, the base price is that $79, then they charge the RSN fee, another $14.99.

Yep, right now I am fine, I get all the network/cable channel shows ( along with the streaming shows) with just the services, when Football Season starts, probably try that new Live TV Sports Service or YTTV for the 5 months.

Have to look up that one.

More than that, Star Wars:Skeleton Crew is this year also, for Marvel- Agatha Harkness and Eyes of Wakanda.

Not so much into animation, but I'll likely take a look at Wakanda. The whole Agatha thing and what they did to the character of Wanda that followed into the MVOM film left a bad taste in my mouth, so, not a fan.

They want more then that, the base price is that $79, then they charge the RSN fee, another $14.99.
Seriously? $15 additional? Now that's completely nuts!

It is actually a lot less, Forbes published the ratings last year, more like 3%.

For example, the NY Yankees ( highest watched team) averaged 231,000 Households in the NY Metro Area.

The total number of households in the NY Metro area is 8.8 Million, out of that, only 231,000 watch the Yankees, which is a tad less then 3%.

I've never cared for ratings. There's absolutely no way they are accurate at all. Unless every single receiver is connected to internet it's impossible to get an accurate rating. Idc what their algorithm is or that they've been doing it a certain way for decades, I've never once believed in their accuracy.

At least where I live, I still have customers asking about them all the time. If I were to poll every house that I work on, it will be greater than 10% (probably 30-35%) that want the regional sports back.

At least where I live, I still have customers asking about them all the time. If I were to poll every house that I work on, it will be greater than 10% (probably 30-35%) that want the regional sports back.
Yes, your way is definitely more scientific then the methods Nielsen uses. :rolleyes:

RSNs have lost about 55-60 Million subscribers ( out of 100 Million), if people cared that much about them, then services that carry them, their losses would not be as bad as they are, people would subscribe to those that have them.

DirecTV has a much higher percentage of losses then Dish, yet they carry all the RSNs.

Comcast carries them, yet have lost about 8 million subs, Charter just had their biggest lost ever in a quarter, it carries them.

YTTV, when they dropped the RSNs, were at 2 million subs and the price of $64.99 in 2020, since then, price is $73 a month and have gained 6 Million more subs with no ( except for a few NBCs) RSNs.

The services that report the biggest losses every quarter, are Comcast, Charter and DirecTV, who are the main carriers of the RSN, never a gain, last year they lost 6 Million per sub fees, this year estimated 7 million, by the end of 2025, they will be gone, totally unprofitable.

Yes, your way is definitely more scientific then the methods Nielsen uses. :rolleyes:

RSNs have lost about 55-60 Million subscribers ( out of 100 Million), if people cared that much about them, then services that carry them, their losses would not be as bad as they are, people would subscribe to those that have them.

DirecTV has a much higher percentage of losses then Dish, yet they carry all the RSNs.

Comcast carries them, yet have lost about 8 million subs, Charter just had their biggest lost ever in a quarter, it carries them.

YTTV, when they dropped the RSNs, were at 2 million subs and the price of $64.99 in 2020, since then, price is $73 a month and have gained 6 Million more subs with no ( except for a few NBCs) RSNs.

The services that report the biggest losses every quarter, are Comcast, Charter and DirecTV, who are the main carriers of the RSN, never a gain, last year they lost 6 Million per sub fees, this year estimated 7 million, by the end of 2025, they will be gone, totally unprofitable.
I'm not saying my way is more scientific, I'm just saying it's not accurate.
But polling customers would actually be more accurate. But it also differed from area to area, so not saying what I see here would reflect for the whole nation. At the end of the day the rating system is garbage and everyone knows it.